Xbox Game Pass

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It feels very much like a game that has had a lot of stuff bolted on to it - rather than being built from the ground-up with everything planned

That's exactly what it is. Pretty much nothing outside if the basic mechanics were included in the initial release.

2 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Morning,

Following the advice given here I managed to get the two xbox/2 xbox live accounts setup working, all downloaded game pass games are working on both consoles for both accounts. However I'm hitting a problem with some of the DLC car packs in Forza 4 that I'm hoping someone can help with. The setup is:

Downstairs - Series X - my sons XBL account is the primary - most DLC cars not available showing as available for him

Upstairs - One S - my account is the primary - all cars are available for him

I've tried to re-download the DLC on the downstairs one but everything is showing as installed, anyone have any idea on how to fix it please?

Sometimes it shits itself and you need to log in with the primary account on the console that isn't the home one. I'll have a look on my other half's Xbox in a minute if she can access the DLC and let you know if it's fucked.

13 hours ago, Majora said:

Full Throttle is one of the only LucasArts games I didn't play back in the day so I thought I would give the remaster a try given it's meant to be quite short and that gamerscore promo is running at the moment.

Well it gives out achievements like candy but I'm not really feeling it. Admittedly I didn't get that far in before getting stuck (the bit where to have to collect 3 parts for your motorbike from the junk yard, couldn't figure out what I'm meant to do with the dog and presumably the meat). I'm just not hooked at all. It might partly be the premise, which is also probably why I left it so long to play it in the first place. A game about a biker gang has to work really hard to win me over anyway.

It just feels really limited and flimsy somehow - your commands are pared back to only 3 but the interaction options you're given somehow make things feel more confusing rather than less. The puzzles seem really simple (I realise the irony of saying that considering I stopped when I got stuck), it feels more like an interactive movie almost, and the plot just doesn't intrigue me at all. Also those bike sections just seem utterly shit.

Is it worth sticking with or not? I'm considering just replaying Day of the Tentacle for the first time in about 20 years instead.

I’m a massive LucasArts fan, loved the Monkey Islands, Fate of Atlantis, and I’d rate DotT as one of the finest games ever made.

Full Throttle didn’t do it for me then, and it doesn’t do it for me now. It’s probably worth moving on to something more enjoyable. I think DotT is as fresh as it ever was, even with the original VGA graphics.

FWIW RE: No Man's Sky once you get past the base building tutorial you can do what you want. Maintaining materials for fuel and warping is a pain but once you get the loop down hopping around the galaxy doing missions for nanothingies and upgrading your ship, then hunting down rare ships and upgrading your freighter and fleet is ace. I absolutely see why people wouldn't dig it, mind. I've put an ungodly amount of time into it over Xbox and Ps4. It's astonishing in VR.

3 hours ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Morning,

Following the advice given here I managed to get the two xbox/2 xbox live accounts setup working, all downloaded game pass games are working on both consoles for both accounts. However I'm hitting a problem with some of the DLC car packs in Forza 4 that I'm hoping someone can help with. The setup is:

Downstairs - Series X - my sons XBL account is the primary - most DLC cars not available showing as available for him

Upstairs - One S - my account is the primary - all cars are available for him

I've tried to re-download the DLC on the downstairs one but everything is showing as installed, anyone have any idea on how to fix it please?

All the DLC is present on my OH's Xbox. The only thing that could be causing a problem is parental controls on your sons account maybe?

32 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

That's exactly what it is. Pretty much nothing outside if the basic mechanics were included in the initial release.

I know, that's why I made that point - everything has been bolted-on and you can feel it, rather than everything integrating seamlessly.

48 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

All the DLC is present on my OH's Xbox. The only thing that could be causing a problem is parental controls on your sons account maybe?

Thanks for checking, I'll try removing all parental controls later and see if that makes a difference.

Failing that I might just uninstall and reinstall it, see if the changing of home devices caused a weird blip.

3 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I’m a massive LucasArts fan, loved the Monkey Islands, Fate of Atlantis, and I’d rate DotT as one of the finest games ever made.

Full Throttle didn’t do it for me then, and it doesn’t do it for me now. It’s probably worth moving on to something more enjoyable. I think DotT is as fresh as it ever was, even with the original VGA graphics.

I'm sad The Dig hadn't got the remaster treatment yet. But that's another story.

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to Full Throttle. I played through DoTT and Full Throttle for the first time when they were added to GamePass and on balance I'd say Full Throttle was the more enjoyable experience. Theres more game in DoTT but you do spend a lot more time trying odd combinations of things in the hope that you'll chance upon the solution. Full Throttle was a lot more logical about its puzzles. Of course, back in the day I'd probably have been happier with DoTT as it takes a lot longer to beat while Full Throttle can be beaten very quickly once you know whats what.  

Full Throttle is a classic but it's a Proto-Telltale game rather than the more traditional adventures people associate with Lucasarts. As such it does feel more dated in a way than the traditional point and clicks. 

You can tell it was a big influence on telltale, Jake Rodkin of Walking Dead, Idle Thumbs and later Campo Santo did a Retronauts episode about it. 

1 hour ago, bear said:

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to Full Throttle. I played through DoTT and Full Throttle for the first time when they were added to GamePass and on balance I'd say Full Throttle was the more enjoyable experience. Theres more game in DoTT but you do spend a lot more time trying odd combinations of things in the hope that you'll chance upon the solution. Full Throttle was a lot more logical about its puzzles. Of course, back in the day I'd probably have been happier with DoTT as it takes a lot longer to beat while Full Throttle can be beaten very quickly once you know whats what.  

I reckon if you know exactly what you’re doing and skip the cutscenes, you could beat DotT in under an hour.

Day of the Tentacle is so much more fun, I just don't care about anything that's happened in Full Throttle so far. Biker gang I've barely even seen or spoken to has been kidnapped, some old dude I don't know is gonna have some evil dude I don't know try to take over his company probably. Who cares, I don't know any of these people and the game hasn't given me any reason to. My favourite point and clickers grabbed me instantly. Figuring out how to become a pirate on a colourful Carribbean island, helping kids separated by time travel defeat a giant purple tentacle, investigating a clown that's set off an explosion in a Parisian cafe. I need a good hook.

2 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I reckon if you know exactly what you’re doing and skip the cutscenes, you could beat DotT in under an hour.

That reminds me of speedrunning Monkey Island for my own amusement back on the Amiga. I got those disk swaps down pat.

I left PC gaming around the time Full Throttle was released (I only played the demo back then and bought the remaster about 3 years ago), and I’d only dabbled with Sam & Max.

On my return to PC gaming in ‘98 I bought Curse of Monkey Island.

I doubt we’ll see a remaster of that. I loved it, and the graphics were gorgeous in SVGA. It should scale up nicely to 1080p. Mind you, it still looks incredible on a CRT if you have one handy.

Like @Majora posted above, the quirky pirate setting is more appealing to me than a gritty Mad Max-esque world. I dunno, I really should try and complete it. Maybe I’ll change my mind!

For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of Grim Fandango either. The art style and controls really turn me off.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

For what it's worth, in the Grim Fandango remaster you can use normal analogue controls. But man how can you not like the art style

I’m old and set in my ways, I want point & click mouse controls and 2D hand drawn artwork. Grim would’ve made a beautiful 2D game. However the 3D low poly characters are rough,  particularly Glottis. When he opens his mouth you can see the inside of his head :lol: and some polygons clip through others. I’m not keen on the pre-rendered backgrounds either. While it’s a lot better looking that Escape From Money Island, it’s still pretty ugly. But I guess that was the trend, everything had to be 3D, nobody wanted hand drawn 2D anymore...

CD Keys are currently doing 12 Months of Live for £34.99. So I've stacked up two lots of 12+1 months of that.

I seem to remember someone recently posting that they used a cheap code from eBay to convert to Ultimate (I've already used the £1 offer before), but can't seem to find the post and all the 14 day codes on eBay seem to say you can't have an existing sub of Gold or GP to use them. Anyone got any more info on this before I go for the £10.99 upgrade?

52 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

CD Keys are currently doing 12 Months of Live for £34.99. So I've stacked up two lots of 12+1 months of that.

I seem to remember someone recently posting that they used a cheap code from eBay to convert to Ultimate (I've already used the £1 offer before), but can't seem to find the post and all the 14 day codes on eBay seem to say you can't have an existing sub of Gold or GP to use them. Anyone got any more info on this before I go for the £10.99 upgrade?

Yeah, that was me. I think the caveat on the 14-day codes is that, if you have a current sub, they won't add 14 days to it, you have to wait for your current sub to expire first. I've had Gold for the best part of 15 years, I had used the one-time £1 upgrade several years back, and I've had the occasional month of paid-for GamePass here and there over the past year or so, but I still managed to upgrade my Gold using a 14-day code last week.

What a palaver. So despite buying UK codes from CDKeys, my account region was set to Brazil, because I bought a game from there recently, and the codes were somehow able to be redeemed over there and registered as a Brazilian sub on my account. This, plus the fact I had 2 months of normal Game Pass set to UK, meant I couldn't upgrade to either UK or Brazil Ultimate because of a region mismatch with one of the subs that was going to be converted. I tried both a cheap code from eBay and buying the £10.99.

Anyway, long story short, Xbox Support kindly confirmed my codes we UK, cancelled all of the Gold over the phone and re-credited it to my account (and gave me an extra month!), and I've since been able to upgrade to Ultimate with the cheap code.

So a bit of a faff, but 27 months of GPU for £72 ain't bad at all. 

If anyone's bothered, these codes for 7 days of GPU (£1.80) are stackable and can be used to convert Gold to Ultimate. The 14 day ones are trials and might not work.

You can all look forward to June 2023 for another upgrade fiasco.

Saw it on a few GOTY lists and then was surprised to see Deep Rock Galactic is on gamepass, just done the tutorial and it seems every bit as special as I'd been lead to believe.

It's sort of like Helldivers / Sea of Thieves / Minecraft / Left 4 Dead, where you are a merry bunch of sweaty sweary dwarves. All procedurely generated too. If, like me, you hadn't heard of it, get on it!

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

It's sort of like Helldivers / Sea of Thieves / Minecraft / Left 4 Dead, where you are a merry bunch of sweaty sweary dwarves. All procedurely generated too. If, like me, you hadn't heard of it, get on it!

Is it suitable to co-op with a 12 year old? Considering playing it as a game to play with my son.

19 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Is it suitable to co-op with a 12 year old? Considering playing it as a game to play with my son.

It has a lot of humour, and some of the things the dwarves shout can be a bit much for a really young kid, I've only done the tutorial but my dwarf shouted "what is this crap they've equipped me with?", doubt it gets worse than that though, and the enemies are just bugs/spiders, I think 12 years old would be fine :) (please correct me someone if I'm wrong though)

man pegi ratings are a bit all over the place aren't they? I considered Deep Rock Galactic for my 9 yr old son for a bit of coop after watching that trailer and thought oh it iwll be a 12 so I will play it a bit and see what I think (like Fortnite which I did allow him to play in the end) - but nope its a 16 for "frequent death"... I mean Minecraft has frequent death!