Xbox Game Pass

Any all access types here....

I bought a years worth of gold and did the £1 trick to convert so have a years gamepass, I then went to redeem the 2 years gamepass as part of all access but I kept getting error messages - not the useful type that tell you what the issue is but some random stuff so maybe it’s just sever side and part of the hammering all MS things are getting at the moment.

Anyone successfully redeemed the all access? esp anyone trying to max out at 3 years!

@Shimmyhill I redeemed the all access membership as prompted when I first booted the system, are you having problems with that?

I haven’t tried the upgrade trick. I’d be curious to know if this works too, if it’ll save having to pay full whack later down the line. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

@Shimmyhill I redeemed the all access membership as prompted when I first booted the system, are you having problems with that?

I haven’t tried the upgrade trick. I’d be curious to know if this works too, if it’ll save having to pay full whack later down the line. 

I had a few days gamepass left when I set the machine up so skipped that when first prompted - I now have a year on the cheap and tried to redeem the two years when I got the error :( 

I don’t think you can do the upgrade trick now as if you added a years Xbox live it would convert it to a few months gamepass not the full year.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I had a few days gamepass left when I set the machine up so skipped that when first prompted - I now have a year on the cheap and tried to redeem the two years when I got the error :( 

I don’t think you can do the upgrade trick now as if you added a years Xbox live it would convert it to a few months gamepass not the full year.

Would it take you over three years? I assume you took the auto renew option to get 13 months, meaning when it tries to add the extra two it’s going over 36 months. 

2 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Would it take you over three years? I assume you took the auto renew option to get 13 months, meaning when it tries to add the extra two it’s going over 36 months. 

i made sure I didn’t add the extra month for this reason so only have a year, I’ll try it again today and see....

@Shimmyhill would definitely have 13 months if he did the upgrade trick, wouldn't he? 1 year live converted to 1 year ultimate because he subbed for 1 month GPU. 1 year plus 1 month = 13 months. Turning on auto renew would bring it up to 14 months total. Or am I missing something here?

I had the same problem in the past because of the auto renew bonuses. It's just a matter of waiting until the additional time doesn't take you over the 3 years max and then applying the code.

19 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Check that you have a year's game pass, and not 13 months - the 12 months of Gold plus the month of Game Pass you signed up for. Unlikely, but possible.

I think this is probably the answer. The one month for £1 adds a month to the 12 month gold sub, not just a conversion.

@Shimmyhill check on your console in the settings somewhere or on the profile page of your games pass app what it says about the end date.

If it says December 2021, then just wait a month. Set a reminder for December 14th 2020 and apply the code then. I also got an error code when I tried to apply a code that took me over 3 years, so don't worry. It will definitely work.

2 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I think this is probably the answer. The one month for £1 adds a month to the 12 month gold sub, not just a conversion.

Correct. You get 1 month Game Pass Ultimate and your remaining live sub is converted. Meaning 1 year gold plus 1 month gp.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Check that you have a year's game pass, and not 13 months - the 12 months of Gold plus the month of Game Pass you signed up for. Unlikely, but possible.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Shimmyhill would definitely have 13 months if he did the upgrade trick, wouldn't he? 1 year live converted to 1 year ultimate because he subbed for 1 month GPU. 1 year plus 1 month = 13 months. Turning on auto renew would bring it up to 14 months total. Or am I missing something here?

I had the same problem in the past because of the auto renew bonuses. It's just a matter of waiting until the additional time doesn't take you over the 3 years max and then applying the code.

44 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

41 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Shimmyhill check on your console in the settings somewhere or on the profile page of your games pass app what it says about the end date.

If it says December 2021, then just wait a month. Set a reminder for December 14th 2020 and apply the code then. I also got an error code when I tried to apply a code that took me over 3 years, so don't worry. It will definitely work.

All spot on, I tried to add it again just now and didn’t work so checked my sub and it’s until 13/12/21 so came here to told you and you had all got it spot on!

For the people who have Game pass on PC, do you have many issues with the games downloaded from the Microsoft store?

I'm browsing the available games and quite a few I have looked at have a much poorer score than I expected and when I look at the reviews people are listing problems they have with the game.

Take the Master Chief collection, it's at 3/5* after 75 reviews but on steam it has have over 100k reviews with a very positive score and 2439 reviews with very positive in the last 30 days. That's a huge difference for the same game.

31 minutes ago, Mallet said:

For the people who have Game pass on PC, do you have many issues with the games downloaded from the Microsoft store?

I'm browsing the available games and quite a few I have looked at have a much poorer score than I expected and when I look at the reviews people are listing problems they have with the game.

Take the Master Chief collection, it's at 3/5* after 75 reviews but on steam it has have over 100k reviews with a very positive score and 2439 reviews with very positive in the last 30 days. That's a huge difference for the same game.

There's definitely some inherent flaws that pop up because of the Microsoft Store because of how it does things - Could be anything from the game not being updated as regularly as Steam Games (Streets of Rage 4, World of Horror), Win32 games end up being scuffed because it's been shoehorned into a UWP format (Phantasy Star Online 2), and generally downloading large games is an absolute pig as you get no control over download speed - and if the download is corrupted somewhere, windows shits itself and tries downloading the whole thing again because it effectively locks you out of file permissions (every game). Due to those file permissions, there's also little to no chance of modding a game compared to just buying it outright on Steam.

It's a complete ballbreaker, as there's some components of the XBox experience that they have absolutely nailed down as of recent times (namely the app to access the game pass without the MS Store and the Game Bar functions), but the backbone is built around something that's been considered to be complete wank well before they started putting together the play anywhere strategy.

However, it's also worth mentioning that Microsoft Store isn't exactly the epicentre of PC videogame technical critique when Steam's a thing. Combine this with the fact that a majority of society would only consider dropping a review when they've had an awful time with it, and that will probably account for the state of of Microsoft Store's review function.

On 12/11/2020 at 22:22, sprite said:

Thankyou :) Long time back is exactly my MO, so that must be what happened :lol: 

So I decided to pay the £25 for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Rise of the Tomb Raider and figure out where I was and what I was doing.  I re-downloaded the game and loaded it up, and sure enough my save is right where it was.

Last played: September, 2018. :lol: 

Having a blast resuming now though, going to aim to finish it and move onto Shadow of the Tomb Raider!

11 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Plus theres things like Halo Reach having utterly fucked sound after like a year. It sounds like underwater peashooter fights.

Really? I tried it a few days ago and the sound was what impressed me the most.:unsure:

Been watching my daughter play planet coaster this morning. 

In was quite stunned at how good it looks and how well it runs. Looks like great fun too but not sure I’ve got the patience.  Better to just watch her play for now!

14 hours ago, Mallet said:

The store is bobbins, downloads frequently fail, you can't backup and restore games, updating is often a crap shoot.

I've not had problems with the games themselves but I have just spent 24 hours downloading Forza Horizon 4 when literally every byte it downloaded was on another machine on the same ethernet which is pathetic.

I have had a lot of issues with Game pass on PC so far.

It took about 5 hours of trying different solutions to be even able to log into the app, when I did get it working the app would only let me buy games so I had to open the store app and get the install option from there. Yesterday I could play FFvii and FFviii fine but if I tried to open the option menus it gave an error but now they are fine.

Honestly I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble it is giving me.

Just spent a comfy morning dossing in bed playing Xcloud on my phone. I've been quite a heavy user of the service and was using my phone, an Xbox One pad plus phone clip for several months to do so. Lots of good gaming but the big phone was causing a bit of a balance issue after about 20 minutes of gaming, so I've just stumped up for one of those pads that turn the phone into a Switch wannabe. Along with rock solid performance it's made the experience, which was good to begin with, pretty fucking great. 

Big, big fan of GP Ultimate for my big machines and the Xcloud service is turning out to be a brilliant big cherry on top. Can't wait to see how it progresses when they throw those Series X blades into the mix.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Oh right forgot about the not uninstalling things properly. Often wondered where my hard drive space was going. Turns out there was almost 1tb of stuff I'd supposedly uninstalled still showing.

How did you fix this. I still have about 50Gb of stuff that is still allocated.

Just for another perspective, I've used the Xbox app on several PCs and the only issue I have is that new "Recently Added" games tend to show up as blank rectangles until I change tabs and switch back again. I don't have any trouble installing or uninstalling games, and I've used it on three different PCs.

I can't say I'm a fan of the whole UWP package system preventing modding and stuff, but that's an area where I tend not to dabble much anyway.