Xbox Game Pass

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's 4 years old, it's just been made compatible and re-released for 4 times the price rather than adding it to BC.

Little bit cynical.

Totally passed me by and yeah much as I loved it £25 is too steep to see if it still holds up.

18 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I'm going to put my hand up and admit to having never played any of these games (I have played Monkey Island). What would be a good one to start on?

That’s a difficult one as they’re all great games, but very different. 

DotT is the perfect point n click game IMO. It’s actually quite a short game, you can complete it in under an hour if you know what you’re doing. It’s hilarious though, has some amazing artwork and animation. The voice acting is brilliant. I’m completely biased, as I played it first time round after MI2 and Fate of Atlantis. Everything after was downhill (I never clicked with Sam n Max).

However many point and click fans consider Grim Fandango to be the best point n click game. The story is good, although not “laugh out loud” funny like I remember some of the earlier games. I disliked the 3D characters and blurry backgrounds which really ruined the experience for me.

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Are these just on the PC Gamepass or are they on the Xbox too? 

If so do they play ok with a pad?

They’re on both formats. I played Monkey Island 1 and 2 SE on the Xbox 360 with the controller fine so I imagine these all work well too.

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

They’re on both formats. I played Monkey Island 1 and 2 SE on the Xbox 360 with the controller fine so I imagine these all work well too.

Cool, I played both of those but I thought they were redesigned with a controller in mind and I thought these were just ports? 

DOTT is my favourite of all time.

4 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

I don’t get this reference - where the fuck is the Indiana Jones one that was the absolute classic.

Licencing hell I imagine.

Just spent the best part of a day downloading the Master Chief collection on PC. Is there a concensus which game is best to play? I think I've played them all through before when initially released so not too arsed about story.

3 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Just spent the best part of a day downloading the Master Chief collection on PC. Is there a concensus which game is best to play? I think I've played them all through before when initially released so not too arsed about story.

Halo 1 & 3 on Legendary. ODST as well.

8 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

Carto is a delightful little puzzle adventure. Recommended.

It’s like someone hit the Generic GamePass Game button: it’s offensively twee and with a single mechanic that is initially quite clever but that you’ll be thoroughly sick of by the end of its short runtime. And there’s way too much walking around talking to tedious villagers and watching speech bubbles slowly unfold. I’m nearly done with it but I’ll have forgotten it by this time next week. 

Those Lucasarts games take me back to the days of going round my mates after school to play stuff like those and the Monkey Island games and getting utterly stuck and being shafted because there wasnt the internet to bail you out then (shakes walking stick and shouts at youngsters to get off his lawn).  We'd spend hours without making any/much real progress and resort to just using as many items as we could on things to see if something happened.  It says something about the charm of the games that we didnt stop playing, we'd just carry on.

I just need someone to remaster It Came From the Desert now and I'll be happy....

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

Those Lucasarts games take me back to the days of going round my mates after school to play stuff like those and the Monkey Island games and getting utterly stuck and being shafted because there wasnt the internet to bail you out then (shakes walking stick and shouts at youngsters to get off his lawn).  We'd spend hours without making any/much real progress and resort to just using as many items as we could on things to see if something happened.  It says something about the charm of the games that we didnt stop playing, we'd just carry on.

I just need someone to remaster It Came From the Desert now and I'll be happy....

Its crazy how many games I never bothered to finish back in the day because I got stuck and didn't have the Internet to hand. I already got stuck on the first screen of Day of the Tentacle before giving in and reading you could open the Grandfather Clock door to advance.

Saying that I have managed to work out all of the Supraland puzzles so far. Last night involved creating an electric circuit out of 3 anvils and a wet sponge, took a few tries but got there in the end.

I seem to remember Discworld being particularly baffling when it came to solving puzzles. Particularly the first one. Loved em though.

Fired up Halo 1 from the collection on the PC. Silky smooth although the graphics are obviously fairly aged but super sharp. However, started out in Legendary and all the noticeable aging melted away - feels so good to play still.

Nah, I was being lazy! Haven't played a point and click like that in years and the Internet makes it too easy to cheat. 

Discworld was the one I was thinking of in terms of difficulty, especially as I was playing on the Playstation without a Memory Card.

I've been surprised how much I remember off DotT. I'm tearing through it at the minute, over 60% in about 2 hours and still thoroughly enjoying the story and jokes. 

Have to try Full Throttle next as I have almost no memory of that one. 

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Nah, I was being lazy! Haven't played a point and click like that in years and the Internet makes it too easy to cheat. 

Discworld was the one I was thinking of in terms of difficulty, especially as I was playing on the Playstation without a Memory Card.

Oh no question Discworld was a dick.