Xbox Game Pass

16 minutes ago, matt0 said:

It's not someone choosing PlayStation over Xbox that I find weird. I get why the PS4 exclusives are held in such high regard, why they'd be more appealing to someone based on their tastes and why their host system would be more popular.

I also don't care about how well any of the big players do beyond the very unlikely scenario of a console tanking so hard that the games dry up completely.

What baffles me is I don't know how someone gets to the point where gaming is a big enough deal that they're writing articles about it but they wind up with such a narrow range of what they'd play and a complete lack of curiosity beyond that.

As I said its a case of a console warrior (in this case Playstation, he even says that in his article). He is not happy with game pricing, which is fair, but his Xbox argument is nonsensical, example:

getting an Xbox Series X and enjoying much better value for money that I’m not particularly interested in.

What does that even mean? If he was truly interested on what was available wider than PS, and not invested in warz, he would have bothered to do some homework on what the competition is offering.

Basically, as soon as things are cheap enough he will buy a PS5, end of story. Its like arguing with a Trump supporter, impossible.

55 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Unless he plays Playstation exclusives only (or has a gaming PC) the catalogue for both Xbox/PS is like for like for Third party games which bulk the majority of content for both platforms, so the no games thing is tosh.

It’s more like Xbox has no games that I want to play that are not available on PS. Forza/Forza Horizon are the reason I bought a 360 but Forza is dead, well beaten by GT Sport and Horizon just doesn’t seem to move on much other than a new location. The PS exclusives, VR, PS Plus and the new PS Collection easily counter the draw of GamePass for me.

However, I’m not getting a PS5 at the moment either, I will have access to one over Xmas though so I’ll see if that changes my mind.

55 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

back on track, play Supraland. Absolute gem and a game I would have missed if not for Gamepass. Could do with its own thread!

It's a real brain breaker at points. 

If you've ever loved Portal or Metroid Prime and want something whimsical, play it. 

8 hours ago, bear said:

Has anyone actually read that Phil Spencer interview? I've seen various quotes from it knocking around the place but I haven't seen the full thing.

The potential streaming stick seems like it'd be at the opposite end of the scale to this Xbox Platinum thing. They made it sound like it'd be a $50 stick that you could get for free it you bought a subscription to GamePass. The platinum stuff sounds like All Access but why use a different name if it's just going to be the same thing? 

Some birdie send me this link to the interview:

MSPSGP - Pastebin.com

PW: Q4LxDLMFJA

40 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's a real brain breaker at points. 

If you've ever loved Portal or Metroid Prime and want something whimsical, play it. 

Just gave the demo a bash on Steam - yeah it’s really good. Might leave it a week or two to see if it turns up on PC game pass but, we’ll see. Will prob crack

18 hours ago, matt0 said:

I find it genuinely confusing that someone who cares enough about games to write about giving up on them can't find games to play on game pass, let alone on Xbox in general.

Indeed. There is so much varied content on GamePass it's unbelievable. From indies to more in-depth games. Suits me fine absolutely fine  I will never be paying more than £50 for a new release game ever again. If I ever buy a game in that way again. Have far to much fun with indie games and other content. Just not into gaming as much as I once was I guess. Or just into what gaming has become I think is more the point. But I can always find something to entertain me on GamePass.

Sony can continue with the old model of selling and distributing games. With the blockbuster hits etc. If it works for them great. Just glad we have options these days. And kudos to MS for taking the punt and shaking things up a bit.

19 hours ago, JPL said:

I think it just goes to show what kind of weight those games carry though. I know most of my mates are getting a PS5 off the back of this generation and it’s games like TLOU2, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, etc and the promise of sequels that are making them all totally discount Xbox. Obviously, they can play FIFA, CoD, etc on the PS5 as well, so there’s no need to look anywhere else.

Hopefully MS can begin to deliver some of those experiences and all the good will that comes with them.

That may be true up to a point but Sony’s first parties don’t sell very well compared to other 3rd parties and sell very low in analogy to the established PS player base. Microsoft does indeed need a couple of AAA games which can capture the public’s imagination but the problem is more about brand loyalty than availability of games.

Sony was kicking ass way before they had any real AAAs. With some exceptions they only managed to create their first party portfolio this generation. It’s not something that can be done in a generation or two, it takes time. Sony is amazing in “selling” these games to the public and the press, to the point where even generic efforts like Tsushima or Days Gone are “another bunch of amazing exclusives”. 

Microsoft needs to find their audience as Switch did and expand from there. Fighting Sony on brand loyalty will take immense amounts of time and money and I’m not sure it will worth it in the end. If GP is successful they will probably won’t even care about “those” AAAs and, frankly, they probably won’t matter either. 

With that said, in order to reach that place they do need to invest on some AAAs right now alongside the incredible Zeninax deal, just for the word of mouth around the service. Spencer is coming at Sony from a different angle and I don’t believe Sony will have an answer for it. No matter how great or “perceived great” their AAAs are, I find their business model coming this gen slow, extremely old fashion and very difficult to adapt.

I touched on it with someone the other day, but do we have a sticky for ‘the best ways to get gamepass if you’ve already used the £1 offer and now it’s expired’?

I was gonna just let it lapse until I get a series x but you’ve all made Supraland sound pretty great!

2 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I touched on it with someone the other day, but do we have a sticky for ‘the best ways to get gamepass if you’ve already used the £1 offer and now it’s expired’?

I was gonna just let it lapse until I get a series x but you’ve all made Supraland sound pretty great!

First post of the main Series S/X thread, I think.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

First post of the main Series S/X thread, I think.

Why not also in this thread, the game pass thread? Maybe a friendly mod could copy pasta that post there to the first post here and something along the lines of "cheap deal Game Pass sub instructions in first post" in the thread title.

Just a thought since it's a question that comes up rather often :)

Here you go. Somebody can copy this into the first post:

BEFORE YOU START. If you are already subscribed to Game Pass, let it lapse before following these steps. They will work for new or lapsed accounts, but not for active ones.

1. Buy 3x 12-month Live Gold codes (£40 each) from CDKeys or equivalent. It might take an hour or so for the codes to come through, but they will eventually.

2. If you don't have one, create an Xbox account on the Microsoft site.

3. Redeem your Live Gold codes on the MS Site - click on your user icon at the top right of the page, click the "..." at the bottom of the drop down menu and select "Redeem code." IMPORTANT: each time you do this, UNSELECT the auto-renew option, otherwise you'll get some free months added which will make it impossible to redeem your third code (you can't stack more than three years' worth).

4. From here the instructions are from memory because I can't replicate the steps as I've already signed up. On your user icon drop down menu choose "My Microsoft account" and on the page that opens you should see a section called "Subscriptions." Click on your Live Gold subscription.

5. You should now be given the option to upgrade your Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. When you select this it will take you to a standard page as if you were buying it from scratch, where you pay £1 for the first month* and £10.99 every month thereafter. Don't be put off by this (as I was) - the £10.99 won't kick in until your three years are up. Go ahead and sign up for the £1 offer. (*if you have already used the £1 offer previously then it will cost you £10.99 for this conversion, but still only as a one-off payment with your next payment not due for another three years.)

6. Your Live Gold subscription should now have been converted to Game Pass Ultimate for the next three years, at a cost to you of £121 (£131 if this isn’t your first time), a saving of approx 70% compared to the £10.99 a month RRP.

7. Go back into your Game Pass subscriptions page and turn off auto-renew again. There's bound to be another offer in three years' time!

22 hours ago, matt0 said:

It's not someone choosing PlayStation over Xbox that I find weird. I get why the PS4 exclusives are held in such high regard, why they'd be more appealing to someone based on their tastes and why their host system would be more popular.

I also don't care about how well any of the big players do beyond the very unlikely scenario of a console tanking so hard that the games dry up completely.

What baffles me is I don't know how someone gets to the point where gaming is a big enough deal that they're writing articles about it but they wind up with such a narrow range of what they'd play and a complete lack of curiosity beyond that.

That's a fair enough explanation, it was just your original response seemed to indicate that you couldn't conceive why anybody who cares enough about games to spend the time to write in to GC about it doesn't want XGP or an Xbox. I've just read the article, the bloke puts forward his reasons as to why Xbox doesn't float his boat (doesn't like their existing exclusives), even with XGP, which has only really started gaining traction in the last year+ with the greater focus and promise of mega budget games being available for it cheap.

Third party games are at least £5 cheaper but, like many, it’s the Sony exclusives that have become the main reason why I stick with PlayStation brand.

Part of it is probably all the talk about Game Pass Ultimate and how it’s such good value for money and I guess that means Microsoft’s marketing is working. The problem is I’m just not interested in anything Microsoft is offering.

If we ran a mandatory poll of solely this forum's membership, you'd likely find a fair amount who also don't currently care enough about XGP/Xbox to buy either. Indie games are treated by most people as appertisers or snacks, but they buy new consoles for the mega budget main meals, and without ones that appeal to you, then everything else is fairly moot.

9 hours ago, Darren said:

Here you go. Somebody can copy this into the first post:

BEFORE YOU START. If you are already subscribed to Game Pass, let it lapse before following these steps. They will work for new or lapsed accounts, but not for active ones.

1. Buy 3x 12-month Live Gold codes (£40 each) from CDKeys or equivalent. It might take an hour or so for the codes to come through, but they will eventually.

2. If you don't have one, create an Xbox account on the Microsoft site.

3. Redeem your Live Gold codes on the MS Site - click on your user icon at the top right of the page, click the "..." at the bottom of the drop down menu and select "Redeem code." IMPORTANT: each time you do this, UNSELECT the auto-renew option, otherwise you'll get some free months added which will make it impossible to redeem your third code (you can't stack more than three years' worth).

4. From here the instructions are from memory because I can't replicate the steps as I've already signed up. On your user icon drop down menu choose "My Microsoft account" and on the page that opens you should see a section called "Subscriptions." Click on your Live Gold subscription.

5. You should now be given the option to upgrade your Live Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. When you select this it will take you to a standard page as if you were buying it from scratch, where you pay £1 for the first month* and £10.99 every month thereafter. Don't be put off by this (as I was) - the £10.99 won't kick in until your three years are up. Go ahead and sign up for the £1 offer. (*if you have already used the £1 offer previously then it will cost you £10.99 for this conversion, but still only as a one-off payment with your next payment not due for another three years.)

6. Your Live Gold subscription should now have been converted to Game Pass Ultimate for the next three years, at a cost to you of £121 (£131 if this isn’t your first time), a saving of approx 70% compared to the £10.99 a month RRP.

7. Go back into your Game Pass subscriptions page and turn off auto-renew again. There's bound to be another offer in three years' time!

When is the last time anyone tried this? Heard rumours (and they might just be that!) that MS are stopping this going forward? I did this trick a number of years ago but read that for some users it's not longer letting them convert....

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

When is the last time anyone tried this? Heard rumours (and they might just be that!) that MS are stopping this going forward? I did this trick a number of years ago but read that for some users it's not longer letting them convert....

The post directly above yours! :D

1 hour ago, JPL said:

The post directly above yours! :D

Ah fair enough. Not sure under what conditions it wasn't working for people. Probably they haven't let their current sub lapse or something.

Makes sense MS still let people do this TBH. Traps them into the ecosystem for three years and gives them £120/£90 upfront  Nice wad of cash for each sub. Just hope that they deliver over the next three years :D Smart move by MS really.

Pondered over doing this again but don't want to give MS cash upfront. :) Want to see what they deliver first.

Been playing through Man of Medan. It's not a patch on Until Dawn but it's ok. Ish. It has its moments but it's badly scuppered by insanely unlikeable characters and large stretches of walking endlessly around identikit ship corridors reading tedious notes. Makes being trapped on a terrifying haunted ghost ship seem practically mundane at times.

On a sidenote, I've gotten so sick of reading notes lying around in games which basically just say 'Hey honey, I can't wait to see you! Can't believe we've been apart for three years but tomorrow I finally retire. Captain Anderson is getting antsy and I keep hearing crunching noises and screaming coming from the lower floors. This place is crazy! Can't wait to get out of here and see my darling family. Maybe we can go live on the coast like we always dreamed. Love you xxx P.S I almost broke my neck slipping on a pool of blood and human entrails in the changing rooms this morning lol.'

I feel like I've read variations of this note a billion fucking times in games now. They're not moving or poignant, they're beyond clichéd and often borderline comedic.

I’ve just played through Man of Medan. Thought it was very ordinary and the QTEs and ‘breathing’ parts weren’t very well implemented. The breathing parts seemed slightly off, so at times it felt as bit unfair. Was far less interesting than the intro suggested. 

Totally with you on the notes as well. Just becomes an exercise in repetition at times. 

8 hours ago, MattyP said:

Ah fair enough. Not sure under what conditions it wasn't working for people. Probably they haven't let their current sub lapse or something.

Makes sense MS still let people do this TBH. Traps them into the ecosystem for three years and gives them £120/£90 upfront  Nice wad of cash for each sub. Just hope that they deliver over the next three years :D Smart move by MS really.

Pondered over doing this again but don't want to give MS cash upfront. :) Want to see what they deliver first.

Honestly, if you can’t find £120 worth of value from it over 3 years, then I don’t know what to say. I doubt they’d be up for letting you pay at the end of the 3 years either!

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

Honestly, if you can’t find £120 worth of value from it over 3 years, then I don’t know what to say. I doubt they’d be up for letting you pay at the end of the 3 years either!

If you can’t find £120 of value from it, over three years, across mobile, Xbox and PC, in your first three months then you clearly just play call of duty. And you’re probably paying £120 over three years for Live Gold or PS Plus to do that anyway, so the additional quid to upgrade is the complete sum of your opportunity cost.

Spent the afternoon yesterday playing Ikenfell streaming to my phone. Charming little game with some great turn based paper Mario-esq combat mechanics. 

Loving the cloud gaming tbh. Works really well as long as you aren't steaming netflix at 4k. 

2 hours ago, footle said:

If you can’t find £120 of value from it, over three years, across mobile, Xbox and PC, in your first three months then you clearly just play call of duty. And you’re probably paying £120 over three years for Live Gold or PS Plus to do that anyway, so the additional quid to upgrade is the complete sum of your opportunity cost.

Nope don't use Xbox Gold... Just have my PC.

To be honest sure £120 works out at what £40 a year which is less than a AAA game. However don't want to spend £120 on something I may/may not use. So happy to just keep paying as an when I use something and have a choice. 

It doesn't deride from the fact that a lot of people have paid MS £120 up front - which is a nice chunk of money for them and also ropes people into the service (good or bad) for 3 years! :D So win/win for them and I can see why it makes sense for them to keep offering this opportunity.

Worth a punt though if you think you'll get value out of it. Lets face I guess £120 for 3 years entertainment isn't a bad deal...

If you’re just on PC it’s a bit harder, but sea of thieves and flight sim are must tries, and you’re already most of the way to £120 of value there. Add three or four indies at launch and done.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

If you’re just on PC it’s a bit harder, but sea of thieves and flight sim are must tries, and you’re already most of the way to £120 of value there. Add three or four indies at launch and done.

Agree. Its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. I like the service and I currently subscribe. Not sure if my gaming habits will change soon though... playing less and less these days and when I do its stuff I have already bought. So for me its probably not worth it. It is insane value for money though even if you just play 3-4 games every other month.

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It doesn't deride from the fact that a lot of people have paid MS £120 up front - which is a nice chunk of money for them and also ropes people into the service (good or bad) for 3 years!

But that cost is purely for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold, we're paying £1 for 3 years Game Pass.