Xbox Game Pass

Has anyone actually read that Phil Spencer interview? I've seen various quotes from it knocking around the place but I haven't seen the full thing.

The potential streaming stick seems like it'd be at the opposite end of the scale to this Xbox Platinum thing. They made it sound like it'd be a $50 stick that you could get for free it you bought a subscription to GamePass. The platinum stuff sounds like All Access but why use a different name if it's just going to be the same thing? 

3 minutes ago, bear said:

Has anyone actually read that Phil Spencer interview? I've seen various quotes from it knocking around the place but I haven't seen the full thing.

The potential streaming stick seems like it'd be at the opposite end of the scale to this Xbox Platinum thing. They made it sound like it'd be a $50 stick that you could get for free it you bought a subscription to GamePass. The platinum stuff sounds like All Access but why use a different name if it's just going to be the same thing? 

It’s just an article with a bit about branding: should all access really be called games pass platinum or not? (Who cares)

will there later be a streaming stick? (Maybe)

Then there’s lots of people who haven’t paid money to cut and paste the article elsewhere playing Chinese whispers. There’s no real news in it.

17 minutes ago, bear said:

It's a paywalled podcast thingy linked a few pages ago. 

I found the Platinum comments really interesting because it echoed some of the discussion we had in the S | X thread when the All Access pricing was announced. It’s just about different ways of thinking about, and therefore potentially marketing, the same All Access deal from opposite ends. Are you buying a console on HP and getting Game Pass thrown in, or are you paying a monthly Game Pass sub and getting a console thrown in? The answer is, whichever seems like the best deal to you.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Game Pass Platinum on its way? Comes with a stick to plug into the TV for streaming....

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/xbox-game-pass-platinum-include-free-hardware-teases-phil-spencer-13470775/amp/

Just after that article, I clicked on this story about why PS5 game prices have put someone off getting one, but he also mentions that he won’t be getting an Xbox regardless of the value of Gamepass because there are no games he wants to play on that system.

Even though they’ve been buying up studios and just done the Zenimax deal, I still think MS have a real problem of making people see that there are plenty of really good games on the Xbox.

They might have everything else in place, but they really need to start getting some critically acclaimed games out there, or else it’ll be all in vain. All the good marketing and PR is useless without that good word of mouth.

Anyway, here’s the article if anyone is interested.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/24/ps5-made-me-give-up-on-video-games-13473074/?ito=amp-zone-post-item-1

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

It's a paywalled podcast thingy linked a few pages ago. 

I knew where it was from but I was wondering if anyone here had actually read it or were we all relying on the same selective quotes and how it was interpreted by different reporters. 

59 minutes ago, JPL said:

Just after that article, I clicked on this story about why PS5 game prices have put someone off getting one, but he also mentions that he won’t be getting an Xbox regardless of the value of Gamepass because there are no games he wants to play on that system.

Even though they’ve been buying up studios and just done the Zenimax deal, I still think MS have a real problem of making people see that there are plenty of really good games on the Xbox.

They might have everything else in place, but they really need to start getting some critically acclaimed games out there, or else it’ll be all in vain. All the good marketing and PR is useless without that good word of mouth.

Anyway, here’s the article if anyone is interested.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/24/ps5-made-me-give-up-on-video-games-13473074/?ito=amp-zone-post-item-1

I find it genuinely confusing that someone who cares enough about games to write about giving up on them can't find games to play on game pass, let alone on Xbox in general.

The only way it makes sense to me is if someone only played lavish first party, third person action games. No shooters, no RPGs, no sports or driving games, no mid tier or indie stuff, no third party AAA games. No PC gaming. No switch.

It's a nonsense position to take.

Unless you're stuck for a column to write.

EDIT: So I sat and read it and it basically is that... Surreal. 

13 minutes ago, matt0 said:

I find it genuinely confusing that someone who cares enough about games to write about giving up on them can't find games to play on game pass, let alone on Xbox in general.

The only way it makes sense to me is if someone only played lavish first party, third person action games. No shooters, no RPGs, no sports or driving games, no mid tier or indie stuff, no third party AAA games. No PC gaming. No switch.

Unless you're stuck for a column to write.

EDIT: So I sat and read it and it basically is that... Surreal. 

Yeah, it’s a weird stance, but it’s something MS desperately need to tackle. All those big AAA third person action games that Sony release get massive marketing budgets and are all routinely, and quite rightly in most cases, given top marks in the mainstream press.

Like I said, MS can have everything else in place, but without those kind of games and that kind of coverage, most casual gamers simply don’t give a shit.

It’s the last piece of the puzzle for them, but one they don’t seem to be addressing just yet. Hopefully it’ll all come to fruition as the gen progresses, but PS5 will be out of sight by then.

Edit: And bullshit articles like that just compound the fact.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, it’s a weird stance, but it’s something MS desperately need to tackle. All those big AAA third person action games that Sony release get massive marketing budgets and are all routinely, and quite rightly in most cases, given top marks in the mainstream press.

Like I said, MS can have everything else in place, but without those kind of games and that kind of coverage, most casual gamers simply don’t give a shit.

It’s the last piece of the puzzle for them, but one they don’t seem to be addressing just yet. Hopefully it’ll all come to fruition as the gen progresses, but PS5 will be out of sight by then.

Edit: And bullshit articles like that just compound the fact.

I'm not sure if the type of prestige titles that Sony offered last gen do carry more weight than Fifa / Madden / COD / Fortnite etc. But then there's no pressing need to upgrade to play any of those.

They're a big draw, but outside of the Demon's Souls remake Sony don't have any either until some nebulous point in the future.

It's an odd start to the generation...

1 minute ago, matt0 said:

I'm not sure if the type of prestige titles that Sony offered last gen do carry more weight than Fifa / Madden / COD / Fortnite etc. But then there's no pressing need to upgrade to play any of those.

They're a big draw, but outside of the Demon's Souls remake Sony don't have any either until some nebulous point in the future.

It's an odd start to the generation...

I think it just goes to show what kind of weight those games carry though. I know most of my mates are getting a PS5 off the back of this generation and it’s games like TLOU2, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, etc and the promise of sequels that are making them all totally discount Xbox. Obviously, they can play FIFA, CoD, etc on the PS5 as well, so there’s no need to look anywhere else.

Hopefully MS can begin to deliver some of those experiences and all the good will that comes with them.

This is where things like The Initiative, Arkane, Obsidian, etc... will really help out longer term I think. There is a bit of a leaning towards third person action games on the PS side (although using that to somehow underplay them is short-sighted), but the big difference is they are big titles, big marketing, very very high quality titles and - I think importantly - feel relatively fresh each time.

Things like the God of War reboot shifted gears very positively. Horizon, Spider-man and Ghosts of Tsushima all landed as new decent IP. Bloodborne took the Souls format slightly sideways (Sekiro more so). The Last Of Us set a bit of a new bar on narrative action games... I'll admit Uncharted pretty much stayed Uncharted... but you get my point. Sony have been banging out fairly regular AAA games to relative press fanfare all generation.

Objectively the main MS crop have had their moments in time and I've enjoyed playing them a lot over the years, but I would say most of that the traditional IP (Gears, Forza, Halo) all feels a bit tired and bland now. I've not bothered with Gears 5 in fairness as I'm saving it for the new consoles, but I got bored of the others long ago. Halo has had some amazing periods in gaming but Guardians was abysmal and then they dropped Infinite (:doh:). Forza is fine (but for me overrated, I've lost the desire to go back to FH4 after about 7-8 hours).

For me what Game Pass has really offered well - and what I now tend towards - is the access to the interesting, alternative and indie games. Things like Ori are genuinely fantastic, and some of the non-exclusives like Goose Game, Spiritfarer, etc... are things I've loved and probably wouldn't be playing unless they were on there, but that isn't what mainstream players and media respond to. And as has been mentioned, you can play Apex/COD/Fortnight/Fifa anywhere. This is where a few "big games" would create that noise and traction to put MS (and Game Pass) back in the game a bit to the wider gaming market.

There is loads and loads of potential though, the idea of things like a reimagined Perfect Dark, Dishonored 3 (or similar), Avowed, Starfield, Hellblade 2, a new Fable, etc... coming out in a couple of years - plus anything else we don't yet know about/have rumoured - and suddenly there is a big old stamp on the map for them. I can't wait! :D 

With Phil mentioning perhaps a TV stick to access gamepass why haven’t they brought out a Xbox GP switch; effectively a controller with a screen you could take anywhere with WiFi and play your library, they have all the ingredients ready, and a great complement to all their services. 

2 minutes ago, macosx said:

With Phil mentioning perhaps a TV stick to access gamepass why haven’t they brought out a Xbox GP switch; effectively a controller with a screen you could take anywhere with WiFi and play your library, they have all the ingredients ready, and a great complement to all their services. 

because xcloud isn’t up to it yet.

56 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Yeah, Supraland is giving me proper Journey To The Savage Planet vibes. This is a Very Good Thing.

It's much better than that I think. 

That Metro article is just weird, why are the publishing some guy's half-formed purchasing thoughts? 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

I think it just goes to show what kind of weight those games carry though. I know most of my mates are getting a PS5 off the back of this generation and it’s games like TLOU2, Spider-Man, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, etc and the promise of sequels that are making them all totally discount Xbox. Obviously, they can play FIFA, CoD, etc on the PS5 as well, so there’s no need to look anywhere else.

Hopefully MS can begin to deliver some of those experiences and all the good will that comes with them.

I'll admit that I would have preferred to have gotten a ps4 for the type of games that you mentioned, but the deal on the refurb xbox on amazon and gamepass combined made it too good an option to pass on.  That and I could actually order it then and there instead of waiting for stock to come back in AND drop in price.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Because it's the metro.

Yeah, but it’s what MS are up against. They’ve still got an uphill battle on their hands from throwing all that good will away at the start of this gen.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but it’s what MS are up against. They’ve still got an uphill battle on their hands from throwing all that good will away at the start of this gen.

They'll do what they can. They're making all the right moves getting people that can sway on board. They're never going to get the short attention spanned dickheads that take headlines at face value and decide off that alone. Just see Brexit for how that plays out.

3 hours ago, matt0 said:

If it was that much of a slamdunk in terms of compelling content, everybody and their dog would have signed up to Gamepass or owned an Xbox by now, it's been available for 3 years and is heavily marketed aswell.

If you want to reach people still not interested in it at this point in time, it might pay to find out why they aren't biting.

It's no surprise there's a subset of players only interested in blockbuster titles with huge marketing spend. It's the case with just about everything else, it'd be strange if it didn't apply to games.

I think the PlayStation brand can't really be underestimated though. It isn't a straight fight between catalogues, but also inertia. Cloud streaming might help on that front - remove the initial hardware outlay and more people will be likely to dip into the service to see what it offers.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

To be honest I read that article as coming from a Sony fanboy who is a little sour over the price of games on his platform of choice who then goes on an unconvincing argument about Xbox having no games (which comes across as a slightly salty attack on all the good work MS are doing at the moment). Unless he plays Playstation exclusives only (or has a gaming PC) the catalogue for both Xbox/PS is like for like for Third party games which bulk the majority of content for both platforms, so the no games thing is tosh.

And yes, MS do have work to do on the First Party front, but they have the studios and a more game centric focus going forward (even if they are heading down the GAAS route with some of their titles). Only time will tell if they can match Sony on output and, ultimately, popularity with the casual market. Personally they are doing more than enough to keep me on their platform for the time being.

48 minutes ago, mushashi said:

If it was that much of a slamdunk in terms of compelling content, everybody and their dog would have signed up to Gamepass or owned an Xbox by now, it's been available for 3 years and is heavily marketed aswell.

If you want to reach people still not interested in it at this point in time, it might pay to find out why they aren't biting.

This is like saying that Netflix or Spotify didn't have hundreds of millions of subscribers three years after launch so there was a big problem somewhere. It takes time to grow a subscriber base, especially when you're launching your service midway through a generation in which you've been pretty comprehensively stomped by the opposition in terms of hardware sales. Other subscription services usually have the advantage of being platform agnostic, which is Microsoft's ultimate goal with Gamepass, but they're definitely not there yet so the success of the service is to a large part still going to be dictated by the success of their hardware.

They just grew the Gamepass subscription base by 50% in 6 months, seems like pretty healthy growth at the tail end of a generation. Let's see where they are when the likes of Fable, Halo and Starfield are launching on it day one.

48 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It's not someone choosing PlayStation over Xbox that I find weird. I get why the PS4 exclusives are held in such high regard, why they'd be more appealing to someone based on their tastes and why their host system would be more popular.

I also don't care about how well any of the big players do beyond the very unlikely scenario of a console tanking so hard that the games dry up completely.

What baffles me is I don't know how someone gets to the point where gaming is a big enough deal that they're writing articles about it but they wind up with such a narrow range of what they'd play and a complete lack of curiosity beyond that.

You do get plenty of PS games that don't show up on xbox that aren't technically exclusives in the sense we think of them just by dint of being Japanese, although with Nier Automata, older Yakuza games (and on the PC side even Disgaea) showing up on gamepass now even that is changing. 

Doesn't sound like this guy is playing those, though.