Xbox Game Pass

13 hours ago, Hitcher said:

RE: Wasteland 3

Is it bug-free now?

In my experience, the Xbox version is worse than the PC version. While the PC version has random crashes, the Xbox version has more glitches like disappearing enemies during combat (happened in the majority of battles). Also the frame rate on the X model is pretty poor. 

I’ve spent around 10hrs on the Xbox One X version and 60+ on PC. It’s my game of the year for sure, but it needs attention from the devs. 

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Thanks. Probably wait to play it until I get the Series X then for better frame rate and quicker loading.

Yes some pretty long load screens. As great as it is, I think I might save this for a rainy series x day too.

I put something between 5 to 10 hours into this on Xbox and fucking loved it. Could become one my all-time favorites. But yeah the remaining bugs and the loading screens made me decide to play it properly on XsX in 2021.

I'm going to get a new phone in the next few weeks, just before getting a Series S, and I've only just heard that gamepass works on android phones. Does anybody here use this, and if so how exactly does it work? Is it streaming from the console, or from MS servers? And is it all games or just a select few? If it's decent quality I may switch from iphone to android.

11 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I'm going to get a new phone in the next few weeks, just before getting a Series S, and I've only just heard that gamepass works on android phones. Does anybody here use this, and if so how exactly does it work? Is it streaming from the console, or from MS servers? And is it all games or just a select few? If it's decent quality I may switch from iphone to android.

It’s just been announced that xcloud will be on iPhone next year!

15 minutes ago, therearerules said:

As @Shimmyhill says they announced an iPhone solution yesterday (I'm very happy as everything I have mobile/tablet/laptop wise is Apple :) ). It won't be an app on the App Store like for Android, it'll be a web app you run through the browser which means it doesn't have to adhere to the same restrictions (it's the same solution Amazon are using for their cloud game service).

xCloud itself is independent from your console, it's a cloud service you can access anywhere with an internet connection but (I think?) can use your cloud saves so you can go between that and your console. I think as it's in development still there is currently only a set selection of games, but I believe Phil Spencer previously said the plan was to offer the whole Game Pass experience via it, however my suspicion is it will probably be the PC library of games rather than the console library but we'll see. All the first party stuff should be a given though.

I'm looking forward to trying it, especially if I can run the web app on my MacBook too as it means I could do lunchtime gaming in work.

23 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I have used it on Android, and I've not got an Xbox right now, I have a series X pre-ordered.

You download the app, connect a controller by Bluetooth (I used a DS4) and that's it. It's streamed using MS servers. I played Forza on it. Very impressive I thought, though not perfect in regards to consistent framerates.

I think it would be perfect for turn-based games. The screen is small on a phone (I ha lve a 5inch screen) so it's tricky for games you've never played before as it's tough to read explanatory text. They have a 'Perfect for mobile' section in the app, so those games presumably work better on a small screen.

21 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Streaming from MS servers. No console required.

Not sure if it’s the full Game Pass list but it’s over 100 titles I think.

14 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

but I believe Phil Spencer previously said the plan was to offer the whole Game Pass experience via it, however my suspicion is it will probably be the PC library of games rather than the console library but we'll see. All the first party stuff should be a given though.

The server blades are essentially One Ss at the moment (with the plan to replace them with XsX chip sets) so it’s the console line up.

As suggested above it’s currently over 150 games available to stream

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-project-xcloud-games-list

Microsoft didn't announce anything about iOS yesterday. Some reliable journalists reported on how they plan to get around Apples App Store restrictions but nothing was announced or publicly confirmed. 

8 minutes ago, bear said:

Microsoft didn't announce anything about iOS yesterday. Some reliable journalists reported on how they plan to get around Apples App Store restrictions but nothing was announced or publicly confirmed. 

They'll probably just tell you to use a webpage; no native app.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Fair enough, the article I read quoted this so it sounded fairly legit even if it wasn't a full press release...

During an all-hands call Microsoft gaming boss Phil Spencer told employees that the company plans to bring Game Pass and cloud streaming to iOS devices via a browser-based solution at some point in 2021.

Anyone got any thoughts on the following?:

Observation

Deliver Us To The Moon

Night Call

Tacoma

I’m looking for something relatively short and I’m not a fan of jump scare/horror games, if that applies to any of them - a couple of them describe themselves as thrillers.

Tacoma is a chilling look into our capitalist future, but it is no way a horror game. It's basically just the snooping aspects of an immersive sim – like Deus Ex or Dishonored – so you're exploring a space, reading messages, watching characters interact and piecing the story together. I'd certainly recommend it, and it's only a few hours long.

Observation is unsettling, but I wouldn't describe that as horror either; it's going for tension rather than scares. It's also a narrative-led exploration game set in space, although if memory serves it does have puzzles and bits where you could get stuck. I enjoyed my time with it, although it's very much about the story and mood rather than the mechanics; if you're not sure what to do just look up a guide.

Whilst they're tonally quite different, I'd suggest playing something else in between them.

26 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Observation

Deliver Us To The Moon

Night Call

Tacoma

I’m looking for something relatively short and I’m not a fan of jump scare/horror games, if that applies to any of them - a couple of them describe themselves as thrillers.

I found Observation pedantic and tedious - gave up on it after an hour or so. Felt like I was spending lots of time combing rooms for tiny, badly sign-posted cues to move the not especially interesting story forward.

Tacoma I enjoyed and finished though with hindsight I can't remember a great deal of it. It's pretty short and not a horror/thriller though quite dark thematically. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Observation

Deliver Us To The Moon

Night Call

Tacoma

Night Call is very much a politics simulator dressed up as a bit of a whodunnit.

Tacoma had a really interesting setup but, for me, failed to hit the landing. You explore an abandoned space station to understand what happened. Well, what happened is not a lot -> unrealistic plot overload! -> the end. I didn't like it much, though a few in here really did.

Deliver Us The Moon is also about discovering what happened to an abandoned moon colony - but is much better, makes more interesting use of the surroundings and feels a bit more 'real'. It does suffer from an annoying end, mind, and some of the puzzles are a bit frustrating, but it's a more interesting story and has a much better atmosphere and overall vibe.

Observation I've downloaded, but not played.

I therefore recommend ignoring Tacoma and Night Call and going with Deliver Us The Moon.

Thanks, chaps. Have downloaded Deliver Us and will give it a go. If it doesn't click with me I'll make my way through the others.

I also redownloaded The Surge 2 to see if I can get on with it having now been through two Souls games. Feels a bit clunkier.

Deliver Us the Moon has some great Achievement art. I need to go back and 100% it, think I missed out on some collectibles and a fustrating one at the end involving not getting hit by something. I personally enjoyed my time with it and loved the setting, genuinely creepy vibes at times.

I enjoyed Deliver Us the Moon (couple of line review in the completed thread here ) and did it in about 4 hours. It was one of those decent enough little narrative games but there were a few clunky bits in there controls wise. Atmosphere and some of the visuals are nice though. I'd say dive in and see if it grabs you after 30 minutes or so.

I also have Tacoma and Observation on my list too (will probably tackle Tacoma next) but have been caught up with Squadrons so not sure when I'll get to it.

I've been having a grand time streaming Xcloud games on my Windows laptop. 

There's an app called Bluestacks that is essentially an Android emulator for Windows. I just downloaded the free version of the client: https://www.bluestacks.com/download.html

Signed in using my Google details, just as if I were logging in on a new Android device. Then you just get the "Game Pass (Beta)" app from the Play Store within the virtual machine, sign into THAT using your Game Pass Ultimate login details, and you're away. I've been playing everything full screen with a Bluetooth Xbox One pad. 

It's not perfect but the latency is remarkably low. Even stuff like Forza and F1 2019 are playable enough, once you get your head round the (minimal) delay. 

The experience of playing the games on the actual Xbox One is certainly better, don't get me wrong. But it's very good for trying out games you're on the fence about, without having to download tens of gigabytes first. 

(edited to add: looking back I see I'm far from the first person to mention Bluestacks. Hopefully it's still useful info though :) )

Evening,

Does anyone know if Game Pass has any kind of family sharing option?

Planning on passing my One X to the boy when I upgrade and was wondering if I can get away with just the one membership or if I’ll need to set him up with a new membership?

Cheers,

Indy

14 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Evening,

Does anyone know if Game Pass has any kind of family sharing option?

Planning on passing my One X to the boy when I upgrade and was wondering if I can get away with just the one membership or if I’ll need to set him up with a new membership?

Cheers,

Indy

It’s shareable in the same way games are. If you leave the one X as your home console he will have access to it.

Ok, so I’d leave my gamer tag on there, create his one and set the console as home console which would allow him to download and play GP games.

Then on the new X I’d sign in using my gamer tag and I’d be able to download and play GP games.

Sound about right?