Xbox Game Pass

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

I wish you could filter the games in your library by expired from Gamepass to make it easier to delete them and free up space.

Yes, it's crap. The best solution is to cross-reference here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/edit?usp=sharing

which has all of the current, and more importantly, removed game pass games.

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I wish you could filter the games in your library by expired from Gamepass to make it easier to delete them and free up space.

On the Xbox at least, Game Pass games now appear with a massive GAME PASS logo in your library. (And Gold games appear with GOLD on them).

If it's a Game Pass game but it hasn't got the logo on it, then it's expired.

29 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Is Soul Calibur VI any good?

I really don't think a lot of it. I used to love the series but this particular version feels clunky, tired and doesn't play as well as most of the games that came before. Also the loading times are atrocious. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

On the Xbox at least, Game Pass games now appear with a massive GAME PASS logo in your library. (And Gold games appear with GOLD on them).

If it's a Game Pass game but it hasn't got the logo on it, then it's expired.

But what if I own it, but it isn't on game pass? No indication if owned+not on game pass or not owned+not on game pass, right?

Shame about Dead Rising 4, I was going to give that a try at some point but I'm not interested enough to want to buy it.

It does irk somewhat though, because as much as I love Game Pass, the handling of games leaving the service still leaves a lot to be desired. A bit more warning than up to a couple of weeks would be good; EA Origin, by contrast, starts a 100-day countdown, which is really helpful.

13 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Shame about Dead Rising 4, I was going to give that a try at some point but I'm not interested enough to want to buy it.

It does irk somewhat though, because as much as I love Game Pass, the handling of games leaving the service still leaves a lot to be desired. A bit more warning than up to a couple of weeks would be good; EA Origin, by contrast, starts a 100-day countdown, which is really helpful.

I wonder if microsoft's licensing is shorter-term, at least for third party games. Maybe they only do 3 month licensing and therefore, wouldn't want to announce titles leaving as far out as over 3 months, because license re-negotiations might be ongoing?

PSNow is a weird one by comparison because the 'big' releases tend to get very clear windows, with a start and end date. But the smaller titles tend to come and go without any notice at all.

15 minutes ago, Gabe said:

As a massive fan of Dead Rising 1 and 2, I can confidently state that Dead Rising 4 is a travesty. You've dodged a bullet on that one.

Agreed though that a bit more warning for games leaving would be good. Two weeks isn't really enough to get to grips with anything substantial. Maybe they want to bounce people into panic buying the games with the Game Pass discount if they're in the middle of them?

There’s also the possibility that they extend if the game gets engagement: but Dead Rising 4 has been on the service for a year... it’s not like it should be a surprise that licensing agreements will be for that kind of length of time.

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Also the loading times are atrocious. 

This was my major issue with it as well, I just couldn't be bothered to keep playing as it felt like I was looking at a load screen for the majority of the time.

10 minutes ago, footle said:

There’s also the possibility that they extend if the game gets engagement: but Dead Rising 4 has been on the service for a year... it’s not like it should be a surprise that licensing agreements will be for that kind of length of time.

That's all well and good if you know when it came onto the service (I didn't, because it was before I subscribed). So perhaps that's another way to at least give people a clue - have when it joined the service shown somewhere, so if it was nearly a year ago and you haven't tried it, you can at least go in knowing that it might leave soon.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Is Soul Calibur VI any good?

I played it on release and really wasn't feeling it, however it seems to have received several updates since then and having recently repurchased it I'm enjoying it - there's a lot of single player content and the fighting feels good. Loading times are still bad.

Cheers all - might give it a look but as well as the sublime SoR 4 I'm quite enjoying Mortal Kombat XL and Marvel v Capcom so I think my fighting itch has been scratched!

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

You'd be even less interested if you had chance to play it. 

4 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

You'd be even less interested if you had chance to play it. 

:lol: Yeah, I've read it's not very well regarded.

Still a bit annoyed that I never got around to playing Metro Exodus, too. Again, had I had more notice, I would've looked to get it played.

16 minutes ago, Gabe said:

:lol: Yeah, I've read it's not very well regarded.

Still a bit annoyed that I never got around to playing Metro Exodus, too. Again, had I had more notice, I would've looked to get it played.

Yeah, I think that's part of the model really, you still have chance to try and can buy at a discount if you like it and to be fair a two week warning is long enough to see the majority of most games. 

Taking a pragmatic approach, it really would suck a lot of the fun out of things if you had notice of games leaving the service which meant you had set up a sequence that you had to play them in, feel like the last days of a COD/Apex Legends battlepass, where you don't really want to play the thing but you need to get ten levels done by Friday or you haven't got your money's worth. 

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Taking a pragmatic approach, it really would suck a lot of the fun out of things if you had notice of games leaving the service which meant you had set up a sequence that you had to play them in, feel like the last days of a COD/Apex Legends battlepass, where you don't really want to play the thing but you need to get ten levels done by Friday or you haven't got your money's worth. 

Hmm, perhaps for some, yes but it's the reverse for me. As with Origin, it would be a case of when I'm looking for the next game to play, if I see that game X would be leaving in 50 days I would be mindful of that and would still have plenty of time to play it. Whereas right now the situation you describe is where I am - I have a two-week warning and then I feel very much pressured into playing it (and trying to rush it if I want it completed) before it disappears.

Whilst I understand there is the 'buy it at a discount' aspect, I daresay the prices are better elsewhere (see the Dead Rising for £5 example) and potentially saves wouldn't be compatible if bought on another storefront - so if you were part-way through and bought elsewhere, you might have to start again. First world problems and all that.

28 minutes ago, Gabe said:

potentially saves wouldn't be compatible if bought on another storefront

I don't think it's a thing on xbox. 

Re the other stuff, I take the position that if I really want something, I'll buy it and stuff on gamepass isn't really mine. For the price I pay, there's no chance I'm not getting my money's  worth.  They could do things to make it even better but it's already the best deal in gaming so I don't worry about it. :)

What even is Fallout 76? Is it single-player, an MMO or what? I remember reading all the negative press about it when it first came out and I've just ignored it since then.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

potentially saves wouldn't be compatible if bought on another storefront

This is just one specific example and I don't know how true it is of other games, but when I ran FTL via GamePass for Windows, it found and loaded my existing save file from the Steam version. So maybe that counts as some precedent.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What even is Fallout 76? Is it single-player, an MMO or what? I remember reading all the negative press about it when it first came out and I've just ignored it since then.

Is Google down?

57 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I’ve no idea really, but I have heard it’s a bit better than it was when first released. But probably still shit. Either way, it’s Fallout innit?