Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

There’s quite a lot to go at, but I guess it depends what you like. A few to consider:

- Beacon Pines

- As Dusk Falls

- Citizen Sleeper

- Escape Academy

- Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

- Road 96

- The Forgotten City

- Tinykin

- The Gunk

Should be roughly in the 5 hour ballpark. I’m all about the shorter games.

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Ah sorry bit behind the times .. great game that!

It always surprises me why so many people on here seem to like it. There’s pretty much no game to speak of and the psychedelic visuals were a massive step backwards from the psy-king level of Psychonauts 2 that I’d recently played. I found it difficult to get any enjoyment from it to be honest, but I knew it was short so persevered to the end, in the hope this amazing game that people had spoken about would reveal itself, but it never did.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

It always surprises me why so many people on here seem to like it. There’s pretty much no game to speak of and the psychedelic visuals were a massive step backwards from the psy-king level of Psychonauts 2 that I’d recently played. I found it difficult to get any enjoyment from it to be honest, but I knew it was short so persevered to the end, in the hope this amazing game that people had spoken about would reveal itself, but it never did.

It's more of an experience to be honest... Like an interactive music album I guess. Just found it fun and something a bit different to the norm.

25 minutes ago, JPL said:

21 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's more of an experience to be honest... Like an interactive music album I guess. Just found it fun and something a bit different to the norm.

The musical equivalent of a visual novel

I enjoyed it, but I missed one achievement. I didn't enjoy it enough to replay it to get the achievement. Def and one and done but was good as a Sunday afternoon hangover game

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

I thought it was going to be a rhythm action platformer and it just wasn't.

At least it was short.

Whilst it wasn't a great story it was still more interesting and better experience than the vast majority of big name games.

I found much of it a bit stop start. When cruising through a level i was happy enough. Absorbing the visuals and sounds. Enjoying the ride. When walking around interacting with things in and between levels I was just getting through.

Not a perfect thing by any means but is nice and short. An evening or two is perfect for a game.

The Forgotten City is just wonderful.

Edit: Seeing the chat about The Artful Escape and yeah, it was an experience if nothing else. I thought the strumming was rubbish (musically) though it did have some nice incidental background music, and it felt at times like walking around the world of The Yellow Submarine, so I appreciated it for that aspect.

The actual story though wasn't great, and even though it was quite short is still managed to drag at times. But as a sort-of trippy walking simulator, there are worse ways to spend a few hours - but also much better ways (again: The Forgotten City is great.)

4 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

Beacon Pines is on gamepass? Might have to give that a go. I've heard it's quite short? (not a bad thing)

I’m playing through that at the minute after it got recommended here. You won’t be disappointed, well worth your time. 

I'm currently playing Immortality. 

At first I thought it was a load of shit. But the more you play the more it clicks. It's really well done and creepy as hell. 

Hopefully I can come to a conclusion regarding story. It's a hard game to talk about. 

1 hour ago, DarhkFox said:

Beacon Pines is on gamepass? Might have to give that a go. I've heard it's quite short? (not a bad thing)

Yeah, it's a few hours long if you tryhard the entire thing in one sitting. It's pretty good!

In other good game™ news, Phantom Abyss is launching on XBox, and will be on Game Pass on October 20th.

I've played it on and off since it came out on PC, it's very rad if you like FPS platforming and cracking whips at inanimate objects.

Has xCloud improved hugely of late? Just tried a few games rather than installing and it's really smooth?! Really impressed with it. Last time I played any cloud games was in PlayStation Premium and it was a bit temperamental and choppy dropping out and telling me my connection wasn't quick enough. Odd I've had not issues on xCloud?! So it looks my connection is fine.

Just been trying Outriders - apparently a cross between Gears and Destiny. Looks to be interesting....

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Has xCloud improved hugely of late? Just tried a few games rather than installing and it's really smooth?! Really impressed with it. Last time I played any cloud games was in PlayStation Premium and it was a bit temperamental and choppy dropping out and telling me my connection wasn't quick enough. Odd I've had not issues on xCloud?! So it looks my connection is fine.

I pretty much play all GamePass games that way as can never be bothered installing games, very rarely have any issues. 

Been playing some Chivalry 2 tonight,  I'm shit at it but it's good fun.