IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

11 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Other than Commandos, I know nothing about any of those games. I always feel like I should broaden my horizons a bit, which of those are worth a look.

Tinykin is a cross between Chibi Robo and Pikmin that looks set to be brilliant. Really enjoyed the demo and delighted to see it on Gamepass. Midnight Fight Express looks spiffing too - there was quite a buzz around the demo with that one.

Loads of really good titles leaving at the end of the month too, unfortunately:

Elite Dangerous

Hades

Myst

NBA 2K22

Signs of the Sojourner

Spiritfarer

Twelve Minutes

Two Point Hospital

What Remains of Edith Finch

World War Z

Hades and Edith Finch are probably the standouts there but I was a huge fan of Spiritfarer too.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Elite Dangerous

Hades

Myst

NBA 2K22

Signs of the Sojourner

Spiritfarer

Twelve Minutes

Two Point Hospital

World War Z

Hades and Edith Finch are probably the standouts there but I was a huge fan of Spiritfarer too.

That’s the first time I’ve heard Twelve Minutes being called really good.

2 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Hard recommend of Coffee Talk and Exapunks, really looking forward to Immortality, and happy to try Opus as well. Interested in Immortals, but don't really want to indirectly support Ubisoft. A good selection, to be sure!

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Elite Dangerous

Hades

Myst

NBA 2K22

Signs of the Sojourner

Spiritfarer

Twelve Minutes

Two Point Hospital

World War Z

Alas, some good games there too. My personal standout is Signs of the Sojourner (which has the benefit of being quite brief, too, so easy to fit in before it leaves). Two Point Hospital is also great, but probably less suited to cramming in. And yes, Hades, Edith and Spiritfarer and Edith are also brilliant. A shame to see them all go (or at least it would be for me if I didn't already own them all!).

Quite predictably, the only game I haven't seen recommended yet is Tinykin, which was my demo game of the last "steamfest". It's like a hybrid of pikmin and psychonauts. The demo was huge too. Delighted to see it on game pass.

Twelve Minutes is flawed, but you can complete it in less than two hours, and it's an interesting stab at a time loop kind of story. It's worth a shot if you haven't played it already.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Intrigued by Immortality, which sounds like some sort of interactive VHS but somehow got 10 in EDGE. So it's either really good, spectacularly pretentious or both.

Interesting that this is Series S / X only… I presume due to the various cutting between video streams it requires an SSD?

20 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hades

Balls. Is this on sale at the mo? Think I'll have to buy it, since I've been meaning to go back to it for months.

20 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Two Point Hospital

Balls. Is this on sale at the mo? Think I'll have to buy it, since my eldest loves it.

First time there's been a couple of games leaving that I'll have to buy.

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Balls. Is this on sale at the mo? Think I'll have to buy it, since I've been meaning to go back to it for months.

Balls. Is this on sale at the mo? Think I'll have to buy it, since my eldest loves it.

First time there's been a couple of games leaving that I'll have to buy.

Showing as £16.79 for me.

23 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yikes, need to buy Hades. Thanks for the heads up on Edith Finch. Only just got it installed, I'll switch to that and knock power washing on the head for a bit.

So I want to start out by thanking everyone for the recommendation to play What Remains of Edith Finch. My word, what a beautifully realized game. And right up my alley having thoroughly enjoyed the story telling of Firewatch. Unfortunately, I had to stop playing Edith Finch:

Spoiler

I probably should have guessed that the story would involve details of the death of the children, having happened upon the family tree accidentally as I was exploring. It was odd to be in Molly's bedroom, and that the rooms were locked up unsettled me, as a parent. I didn't expect to briefly play the part of Molly, and I wondered if I was playing out her feverish delusions after eating lead paint or something. My heart just sank when I got to Sam and Calvin's room and Calvin's height chart on the door stopped years before Sam's. And then on the swing, he doesn't get off when called in for dinner and I immediately knew what was coming. Of course, I made him fly and then my wife asked me to turn the game off. We've been married 14 years and that's the first time she's done that. I didn't complain, I couldn't play any more.

It's brilliant story telling, especially the way the subtitles are woven into the scenery, but the story upsetting.

Glad I found this genre, need to find some more.