Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

Matchpoint isn't bad at all. Tricky enough to keep the ball in, but it's decent. Better than AO tennis IMO.

I agree, it’s pretty bare bones in terms of modes and features - no doubles for example, but it actually plays a really good game of tennis.§

23 hours ago, Quest said:

DJMax then. Tutorial instruction are poorly translated from Korean, don't really explain anything properly and mention keyboard inputs throughout on Xbox when using a pad. I could probably try using a keyboard but after an hour I didn't really enjoy any of the songs enough to be bothered. 

A shame because I liked Technika Tune on Vita, so was looking forward to this one. I've got my Switch drum working on Xbox these days so I'll just stick with Taiko no Tatsujin.

"Press space bar for fever". At this point I switched it off. 

34 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

"Press space bar for fever". At this point I switched it off. 

I tried one song and then uninstalled. 

Think I'm getting close to finishing House Flipper though. It's very calming to play. 

As the only 2 people who've tried DJMAX have mentioned the tutorial is rubbish/for the pc version i'll try and give a quick overview of how it works. and while the menus and stuff like that may not be simple the gameplay on 4 button mode is pretty simple rhythm action game stuff - 

- the notes to hit move down the lane and you press/hold the corresponding button at the right time when it hits the line - there are 4 lanes corresponding to 4 buttons from left to right - LEFT/UP/Y/B.

- also sometimes the entire left or right side of the note chart lights up - to hit these larger notes you hold the corresponding left/right analogue stick in any direction.

- fever mode is like star power or something in guitar hero i think and activated by down/A buttons - but i'm not 100% on this as I believe the default is that this activates automatically so is not something you need to worry about initially.

- while playing you can speed up/slow down the note chart with the left/right triggers, this is pretty useful when the notes are too compact and hard to read, speeding it up helps a lot. it doesn't change when the notes need to be played, just how they are displayed.

- as for the different modes i'd stick to the freeplay mode where you just pick a song and go, there's also air mode which seems to be like the guitar hero live tv channel mode thing where it plays the next song automatically, you can't choose songs, it's like watching a music tv channel.

hopefully that helps, and maybe for people who don't play rhythm games it might be a good idea still to look at the tutorial? but even without the bad tutorial i'm not sure the game is for everyone, and i'd agree the music selection is pretty hit and miss. I still think the game is awesome. 

I played DJ Max for a bit last night -- I'm a sucker for a rhythm game but cannot for the life of my get it synced up properly. If I can turn off the sound it makes when I successfully hit a note it might be better; I'm not so bothered about the scoring, it's just the out-of-sync sounds throwing me off.

It shouldn’t really be playing a ‘sound’ when you hit a note. That’s what makes DJMax great. It plays the sample from the track. Although it has a scoring mechanism, the real reward is a track that sounds correct as a result of your timing. I think they might have been lazy with some of the newer stuff though, so it doesn’t always do that. If it doesn’t sound right, it’s probably because you need to improve.

I've bigged it up elsewhere, but Citizen Sleeper is very, very good. Recommended if you're looking for something well-written and thoughtful. It takes a while to get going, but once it grabs you it's hard to resist.

2 hours ago, StephenM said:

it's just the out-of-sync sounds throwing me off.

this may well be what klargon says, but it's also possibly input lag - looks like there are settings for this in the options.

I started DJ Max yesterday and little and found it fairly bum unfortunately. It doesn't help that the Series pad doesn't really suit, but the reward for hitting the notes correctly appears to be that the music becomes measurably worse. 

Also - and I have this problem with a lot of modern rhythm action - hundreds of songs and options on how to play them isn't necessarily a good thing. I want to be able to practice and improve. Having imperceptibly different tracks that I can play at fourteen different speeds just means that the whole endeavour is unfocused. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm playing Frequency/Amplitude again tonight. 

1 hour ago, Jolly said:

Having imperceptibly different tracks that I can play at fourteen different speeds just means that the whole endeavour is unfocused. 

changing the speed doesn't make the track different at all, it's exactly the same, it just helps with readability, it's a really good feature, you can do the same in rock band (although in a more limited way).

5 hours ago, spatular said:

this may well be what klargon says, but it's also possibly input lag - looks like there are settings for this in the options.

I’ll mess about with them. It seemed like one had an auto sync feature but the other option didn’t - my amp is ancient, so some high degree of lag would not be surprising at all. 

On 05/07/2022 at 15:09, George Clooney said:

They would do it just as I bought Kiwami 2 so I could complete it before carrying on with the others (I got distracted by Like a Dragon and Judgement and it went off before I finished).

It was only like about 4 quid on sale though so not the end of the world!

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiryu Chan!

Tried Matchpoint tennis for an hour or so and deleted. Even on the easiest setting feels like too much of a grind, and not particularly easy to control. Already got a Madden career on the go, and a cricket career with Cricket ‘22 so will stick with those for a sporting fix.

If you need a tutorial for DJ Max then it's not the game for you tbh. It's pretty difficult just from the start, don't even bother with the missions until your hours of practice in. 

For rhythm gamers in general though its the ultimate one and not one to snooze on. The track selection is vast but you improve noticeably over time independent of song. It's more about learning the patterns than the overall song itself tbh. 

Fever is automatic as correctly stated above. You also don't need to bother with the analogue sticks as that can be automatic as well. 

Nothing wrong with an xbox controller for it either. It just takes practice and muscle memory. The buttons are fine. 

That's the second bit of condescension from defenders of DJMax, so I'll say this: I wanted the tutorial to tell me the scoring mechanics. I do know how the basics of a rhythm action game work, but given Technika Tune on Vita was part of the same series but also mechanically very different, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a tutorial that summarises the game in a way that makes sense and has the correct fucking key prompts for the platform I'm playing on.

Stupid question, I'm trying to buy Xbox Live Gold off CD Keys to prepare for my GPU expiry but whenever I try and add a few it says I exceeded the quantity and resets it back to 1. Can I not buy multiples? How did you guys do it?

Sorry it was 3 months, it's by far the cheapest method. I dunno if that's gonna set off my bank fraud alarm. Would Paypal get annoyed if I load up my wallet and repeatedly use it for the same transaction or should I just space it out to one a day?

13 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

Hopelessly addicted to House Flipper. 

I even bought the Garden Flipper DLC. 

I really wanted to like this but I got to the third level, spent ages painting a room, then got told I'd only covered 98% of it. I couldn't for the life of me find what I'd missed.

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I really wanted to like this but I got to the third level, spent ages painting a room, then got told I'd only covered 98% of it. I couldn't for the life of me find what I'd missed.

Going on my experience. The top of a window frame or the sides of the window. 

It happened to me more than once. But I always managed to find the unpainted or partially painted section.