Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

If anyone hasn't played Last Stop, get on it - it's one of my favourite Game Pass games and it's not all that long so you've got plenty of time. It's a very British narrative adventure that's got the same sort of off-kilter sci-fi vibe as a good Doctor Who episode

Excellent recommendation! I've finally started it and it's wonderful so far.

I wonder who this was?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_profile-xbo_topother/game-pass-subscription-cancellations/361b0608-c07b-41e8-9536-f6cb79318b88

Xbox has identified a fraudulent group of resellers who were stacking multiple instances of the PC introductory offer and converting it to Game Pass Ultimate. To resolve this issue, we have notified the impacted users individually prior to having their fraudulently acquired subscriptions cancelled.

9 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

So they do seem to be able to track subscription shenanigans but don't seem to care about most people converting 3 years worth of gold or whatever?  

Nope. That's been clear for awhile now, they've been aware of the conversion trick since the very beginning but they're happy leaving that loophole open. They don't actively advertise it either - but I suspect that while they're still in this expansion phase they welcome the free advertising and this very effective way of roping more hardcore gamers like us in. Subsequently types like us will spread the word about how amazing this trick and also game pass itself is.

I mean, we're technically paying for it still. Whether through Gold codes or a huge amount of rewards points. And then they're probably getting more money (and lock in?) out of us generally by being GP subscribers.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nope. That's been clear for awhile now, they've been aware of the conversion trick since the very beginning but they're happy leaving that loophole open. They don't actively advertise it either - but I suspect that while they're still in this expansion phase they welcome the free advertising and this very effective way of roping more hardcore gamers like us in. Subsequently types like us will spread the word about how amazing this trick and also game pass itself is.

Yes this and it also keeps us locked in (people often adding 2/3 years at a time!) in the long term, which keeps us more engaged with the Xbox generally. If you’re paying £11.99 a month it would be very tempting to just cancel the sub then restart it when a new big game comes out, then remove it again.

Its similar to how Netflix are very loose on people sharing accounts, it gets more people involved and engaged with Netflix which in the long term is probably good for them.

51 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Its similar to how Netflix are very loose on people sharing accounts, it gets more people involved and engaged with Netflix which in the long term is probably good for them.

That's coming to an end, presumably not driving enough growth. But yeah, GP is definitely in that phase.

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

So they do seem to be able to track subscription shenanigans but don't seem to care about most people converting 3 years worth of gold or whatever?  

At the very least those accounts for sale are a nightmare from a customer service and security perspective compared to people doing the three year trick. Whoever created the account originally almost certainly has access to it either through knowing the password, answers to the security questions or linking two factor to one of their own accounts. There's always a chance they'll take back the account especially if they see that a payment method has been attached to it and how do you sort that mess out if you're Microsoft. 

So I decided to have that break from Odyssey, gave Chinatown Detective Agency a go. Doesn't get mentioned much and now I can see why. Lovely looking game (except for the awkward anti-aliasing on text which actually makes it more difficult to read) but hmm. I am actually enjoying it, despite the text and the voice iffy voice acting. It forced me to fetch a pen and paper at one point, and for me that's the sign of an engrossing game.

Probably fair to say this flopped though, at least on Xbox. I'm already 2 cases in and there's a rare achievement for doing 3, which only 6% of players unlocked. Yikes. Some of what is probably actually rare gets into the 0.0X percent and blimey, that's bad.

For those who persisted, the computer in the library made me laugh

Spoiler

I actually read the whole lender list of names/books. Guessing this is a British team, because Man Utd was mentioned, as well as Fly Fishing by J.R.Hartley. I read to the end hoping for a random clue - alas, nope. Easter eggs, I guess :)

I found it interesting enough to persist through the bugs for a while, but in the end had too many occasions where I had to repeat the previous 10-15 minutes and had to let it go. Plus it was an update or two behind the PC version (might now be fixed?) which meant at least one puzzle solution didn't quite work.

Possibly been asked and answered many times before, but I'm lazy. I have a code for 1 month of free Ultimate. I'm already a paid up regular level member on PC. I assume if I use this, it works, I pop up for a month, don't get billed for a month, and then I automatically drop back down when it expires. Is that correct? (The dropping back down automatically is important, because I will forget...) 

5 hours ago, MarkN said:

and then I automatically drop back down when it expires. Is that correct? (The dropping back down automatically is important, because I will forget...) 

they like enabling auto renew when you redeem a code (maybe they'll ask you first) but i'd definitely check that after redeeming the code anyway. i guess you'll have to let it run out then sign up again to the pc one.

10 minutes ago, spatular said:

they like enabling auto renew when you redeem a code (maybe they'll ask you first) but i'd definitely check that after redeeming the code anyway. i guess you'll have to let it run out then sign up again to the pc one.

Cheers. Suddenly makes sense why they give premium codes away as offers (I got this free with a gamepad I bought). Stealth upgrade. From what I've seen with Microsoft I'm guessing there will be an option somewhere to NOT accept the upgrade as default, it just may be hidden quite well. I'll give it a pop forewarned, and will set myself a reminder if i can't find a way to disable it when I redeem.