IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

Thanks for reminding me of this. I gave up on it when the combat got too hard for me (embarrassingly early on) but tried it again with all the stabilisers on, treating it like a 3D exploration puzzle, and I’m loving it.

Yeah, the exploration is much better than the combat. I played through the majority of it in normal mode but turned on invincibility by the end. After a while there aren't that many fights to actually engage with anyway. That's when the real game begins!

Ah, now that's a price point at which I'm willing to try the remaster of the worst versions of the Ninja Gaiden games, and the game I will only ever read as "Chorvs".

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Origins is well worth playing if anybody hasn't yet.

Probably the second best Assassin's Creed ever made.

I’ve never played any of them, I take it it’s a good place to start?

1 hour ago, Darren said:

Kind of? Origins was their first attempt at the new Witcher 3-esque action RPG format the series has shifted to. You'll have no idea what's going on with the modern day meta-narrative, but that's such a miniscule part of the game I think you can pretty much ignore it anyway.

If nothing else I imagine you'd get something out of sightseeing around virtual Egypt. Plus it's getting a 60fps patch for current-gen consoles this Thursday.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Origins is well worth playing if anybody hasn't yet.

Probably the second best Assassin's Creed ever made.

What do you consider the best?

I would rate Odyssey higher than Origins as I think Kassandra is such a fun character to play, but I am assuming you rank AC2 the best of the lot.

I thought For Honor was a decent stab (ho ho ho) at a tactical third-person action-adventure. I sucked at it (and even on easy it can get quite challenging) but it looks gorgeous and can be strictly single-player if, like me, you have no interest in going online.

Will definitely try out the Ninja Gaiden collection too.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

I started on Black Flag, and even after completing Syndicate the present day stuff in Origins didn't make much sense. As I move through Odyssey I do find it making more sense, but I doubt I have the complete narrative in my head. Honestly, don't worry too much. I think one day I'll just go find a well written synopsis of the whole thing and be done with it.

Origins has a really engaging lead character, loved the story even if I didn't quite click with ancient Egypt as much as I have with Greece.

3 hours ago, Waggo said:

What do you consider the best?

I would rate Odyssey higher than Origins as I think Kassandra is such a fun character to play, but I am assuming you rank AC2 the best of the lot.

Odyssey is better than Origins.

AC2 isn't better than either of them, time hasn't been kind to it.

36 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen it, isn’t it chorvs then?

You might think so, but no, that's just a very angular 'U', apparently. One can only assume that the title was written by an ancient Roman.

(on a related note, "veni vidi vici" becomes a lot funnier when you realise how it's pronounced)

I've canceled recurring billing for GPU, and it says my subscription expires June 9. Is that enough for me to then (couple of days later, or whatever) do the $10.99 trick? There's also a cancel subscription option, but I didn't want to do that in case it messed something up.

18 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Careful now, or I'll tell my "did it first time" story again.

Same here, I've done it on multiple occasions over the years too. Because I keep thinking I must be making it up as I suck at games generally, but the Driver car park was piss easy for me 

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

I've canceled recurring billing for GPU, and it says my subscription expires June 9. Is that enough for me to then (couple of days later, or whatever) do the $10.99 trick? There's also a cancel subscription option, but I didn't want to do that in case it messed something up.

Aye, you should be grand. No active subscription will mean when you add Gold, you'll just be on regular old Xbox Live Gold and you won't get any note about it converting.

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Same here, I've done it on multiple occasions over the years too. Because I keep thinking I must be making it up as I suck at games generally, but the Driver car park was piss easy for me 

I literally just did the Driver car park tutorial on MiSter, and I did not do it first or even second try, but! It's absolutely the case that once you kinda work out exactly what it's asking you to do you can easily do it with half the time remaining. It's pretty easy once sussed. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I never heard that story tbh, now I'm curious

When Driver came out, I completed the opening driving test level first time without any difficulty at all and continued on with the game.

Didn't think anything of it until relatively recently, when it was highlighted on here that it's unbelievably hard. I just assumed you were all no-thumbed gibbons who needed to git gud and gave it another go. Tried it for more than an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half, before giving it up in frustration.

The big difference between then and now, other than me getting old and slow, is that I used to be a games tester so played games for anywhere between 8 and 12 hours a day in work, then played for fun for maybe another 4 hours when I got home. I was probably clocking ~100 hours a week at that time. That's a couple of months worth these days.

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

Or just get cheap 3months codes (Turkey) from Eneba etc. Price-wise pretty much the same as the Gold trick.

Well, I have a lot of rewards points to spend but it's good to know there's a monetary equivalent.

I can confirm the conversion from Gold to GP Ultimate still works fine as I have just done it.  

My sub ran out last night & today  I converted 12 month Gold codes I bought on CD Keys at £36.99 each.

11 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

When Driver came out, I completed the opening driving test level first time without any difficulty at all and continued on with the game.

Didn't think anything of it until relatively recently, when it was highlighted on here that it's unbelievably hard. I just assumed you were all no-thumbed gibbons who needed to git gud and gave it another go. Tried it for more than an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half, before giving it up in frustration.

The big difference between then and now, other than me getting old and slow, is that I used to be a games tester so played games for anywhere between 8 and 12 hours a day in work, then played for fun for maybe another 4 hours when I got home. I was probably clocking ~100 hours a week at that time. That's a couple of months worth these days.

Did you get to go on gamesmaster with that guy who completed sonic 2 on launch day without losing a life? That guy's face was everywhere!

37 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Did you get to go on gamesmaster with that guy who completed sonic 2 on launch day without losing a life? That guy's face was everywhere!

Unfortunately not. I do know a couple of people who have been on. I was very disappointed to discover it was all rigged.