IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

On 11/02/2022 at 00:01, carlospie said:

Crossfire is utter shite. Avoid. 

you’re not wrong

its starts with the UI using the controller to move a cursor on the left stick AND needing to select boxes with the d-pad? Fucking hell. 

a multi-multilayered game mode selection that starts with one that you need to [Purchase]

campaign needs to be purchased, despite being listed in the gamepass description

the actual game, flat sub-counter strike, with dodgy textures.

[edit]
uninstalled

Edited by SeanR

Bit late to the party on this one but finished The Gunk today. It was ok/fairly nice depending upon how generous I'm feeling. Not much to it and it had probably the least exciting upgrade tree I think I've ever seen in a game but it was surprisingly good looking in places and quite relaxing. One of those games where you're happy enough just to go through the motions, jump around and look at the pretty visuals for a few hours while you're thinking about what to have for tea or what errands need running. 6/10

Lake is a nice easy experience although the postman element gets a bit repetitive but I suppose it's replicating the real thing.

Achievements are easy to get, just save after doing the last post round (but before you finish the day) so as you can reload to go through each of the three endings/achievements without having to do another post round each time!

The Gunk next!

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I really recommend firewatch. Short and really nice. 

100%, great game, the feeling of isolation is brilliantly captured, as is the story and the mystery you uncover. It was one of my first experiences of a "walking sim" and with the exception of Edith Finch, I don't think it's been topped.

Literally just finished Firewatch. Wanted to give it a go for ages but, not to the point of stumping up the cash for it. Thought it started off really well and had massive amounts of potential with where it could go and what it could do with its story. Unfortunately, it quickly descended into a nonsensical load of old GCSE level cobblers, before it finally just shat the bed completely. One of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played in terms of squandering it’s potential - 6/10. Definitely not a patch, or as deep as games like Dear Esther and Everybody’s Gone To the Rapture. 

Also, somehow managed to finish The Medium. Proper shite, like one of those sub par PSone or Dreamcast Resi/Silent Hill knock offs from years back. Easily one of the worst games I’ve played in years - 4/10.

Those two were balanced out by finishing Superliminal........which I thought felt really fresh, was trippy as all fuck and expertly delivered a great and positive message - 8/10.

Loving Gamepass! Now moving onto Telling Lies and The Forgotten City.

If a game leaves Game Pass, is it removed from your Hard Drive too or is it that you just can't re-download it from Game Pass if you delete it. but still have the option of buying it normally?

9 minutes ago, Jarik said:

If a game leaves Game Pass, is it removed from your Hard Drive too or is it that you just can't re-download it from Game Pass if you delete it. but still have the option of buying it normally?

You can't play it once it has left, unless you buy it.

54 minutes ago, koefoed said:

Played half a game of Crossfire X (TDM). Uninstalled it immediately. Beyond bad, like nothing has happened in FPS genre for the last two decades.

They have ignored any improvements made since counter strike. The second I pressed LT and I didn't look down the sights, I knew I was in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

You can't play it once it has left, unless you buy it.

Makes sense.  I'm currently rotating between 3 different games & will swap in others once I finish those.  I don't want to just hop around & try everything at once as that will probably erode my involvement in what I'm currently playing.  I have the Game Pass app on my phone so I should get plenty of warning of things leaving.

There's also that being able to really get into a game through Game Pass should be able to tell me if it's worth buying to have for keeps.  I didn't know if I would like Portal Bridge Constructor for instance, but my time with it through Game Pass has shown me that it's definitely something I wouldn't have regretted buying for it's full price.

48 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Just to add a little more detail here - once it leaves game pass the install and your saves remain as-is, you’ll just become unable to launch it until you buy it or it comes back to game pass (which has happened before).

The Gunk is great. Loving the aesthetic (obviously inspired by the likes of No Mans Sky) and general relaxed pace of the game which meant I played two hours in one sitting without realising.

Hoovering up gunk never gets old and it's obviously building up to some previous eco disaster that you're now clearing up.

5 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Yes, with a caveat. Things like the Forzas will drop off as licences for cars expire.

Yep, the only First Party title to have dropped off so far was Forza Motorsport 7 when it was delisted last year. I can see Horizon 4 at some point, along with the Disney titles.

I do wonder at some of the stuff MS have published but don't own. The likes of Ryse, Sunset Overdrive etc. Would assume these may drop off the service at some point.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Activision's back catalogue. In theory there's millions of things they could put on there but God knows how the rights work out for those. I'd love to see them do a rare replay like package of Activision's stuff from the 80s and 90s.

Without looking at this thread recently, i to have been playing through Firewatch.  I enjoyed it for the most part, nice game to chill out to.  Just that the ending was abit of a let down for me.  Was expecting something more than it delivered. 

Also finished Telling Lies aswell.  Hmh, liked the concept but the story was pretty weak and watching aload of video clips with little to no dialogue and just random head nodding isn`t really my thing.  Clocked it in a couple of hours but pretty forgettable.  Thought My Story was better.

TBH I`m quite enjoying these smaller bite sized games on game pass, as i haven`t got the time or dedication these days with 20+ hour games.

Giving The Ascent another crack atm after not giving it much of a chance first time round. Really enjoying it now after getting into it.  Loving the visuals and gun play with this one. Checked how long to beat and around 12 hours so about right 

Never played Edith finch either, so got that lined up ready to play at 2-3 hours.

Really hope Microsoft start releasing more AAA shorter games on Game Pass going forward, like Hivebusters which was around 3 hours long. IMO it was far more enjoyable and rememberable than Gears 5 to :D 

And that’s Telling Lies done. Pretty good “game”.........although it’s not really a game, more interactive film. The plot is decent for what it is and doesn’t shit the bed, acting is ok which ultimately drives the whole thing along and it doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Really made me think about how clever it’s construction is too and how different each “players” experience could be, depending on the order in which you view the clips, or whether you even view some clips at all. Overall, thought it was a lot better than Her Story. A strong 7/10.

Really enjoying The Forgotten City so far and have also started the first Ori game, which I own on Switch but have never got around to playing. Finding I’m enjoying these smaller games more and have more interest in them than the bigger titles on offer.

I downloaded Superliminal months ago but only just got around to it this evening and after about 20 minutes I deleted it. I really disliked how blatant the Portal inspiration was in the writing and I could just tell the core puzzle mechanic wasn't something I was going to enjoy or find interesting. Lots of people seem to like it but the making items bigger/smaller thing I just found kind of annoying.

9 hours ago, Majora said:

I downloaded Superliminal months ago but only just got around to it this evening and after about 20 minutes I deleted it. I really disliked how blatant the Portal inspiration was in the writing and I could just tell the core puzzle mechanic wasn't something I was going to enjoy or find interesting. Lots of people seem to like it but the making items bigger/smaller thing I just found kind of annoying.

That’s pretty funny, as the main message of the game is (don’t look if there’s any chance you’ll give it another go).....

Spoiler

Never giving up and keeping an open mind. How by challenging your own preconceptions, breaking out of the box, looking at things from a different point of view and a different perspective, having empathy........you can change your own perception, overcome yourself and expand your mind, your consciousness and gain enlightenment.

The way it gets that message over is absolutely stunning! The way everything in the game is a metaphor is just genius! It gets better and better as it goes on (particularly liked the Nintendo style Little/Big World stuff) and it mixes it’s box of tricks up and messes with your expectations, until it literally becomes a virtual acid trip. Proper mind altering DMT job, druggy as all fuck! Good game, but the fantastic message and the way it gets it across, is absolutely phenomenal.