IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Finished The Gunk in an afternoon. Really enjoyed it. Looks stunning at times and was quite relaxing. Not usually my type of game but was surprised how much it sucked me in (no pun intended:)

I also enjoyed The Gunk - apart from that I'm missing a few materials to craft the final upgrade and there is absolutely no way of knowing where they are. Like, not even a way to tell which general area they might be in - so I'd have to trawl through the whole lot again and hope to find them...which is actually impossible anyway as I've already discovered a couple of places where you get 'stuck' - areas that would have a lift first time through that's now gone up and can't be called back down for example.

I like the idea of the Gunk - I'm always up for exploring an alien planet - and the process of sucking stuff up is satisfying, but the cute/perky dialogue is doing my head in. Like, the main character gives her spaceship a cute name and her power glove a cute name. It's like a cross between an N64-era Rare game and RTD-era Doctor Who, except with even less real jeopardy. Not my kind of thing, unfortunately.

I found it odd that The Gunk features a few swearwords. I guess they were going for naturalistic dialogue, but it stuck out as really needless in a game otherwise suitable for a younger audience.

Otherwise the game was... fine. I enjoyed it enough to finish it – it's only a few hours long – but nothing about its mechanics or design really stood out. The soundtrack might be the high point for me.

Yeah, ever since they announced the release date I've been waiting for the delay announcement. Not that I was hoping it would get delayed, but I just automatically assumed it would be.

I say let them take their time, release it in a playable state.

Will be interesting to see how MS respond here.  Stalker's played a fairly large part on the 2022 Gamepass release schedule.  Where a 3rd party dev shafts them like this with a delay, they must presumably now feel pressure to sign up a replacement.

Cyberpunk's next gen version due around the time Stalker was? 🤔

I fucking loved playing what I did of Hitman 1 via the Hitman 2 engine, even as someone who's never been as keen on Stealth gameplay, and I was super looking forward to playing Hitman 3 on Steam with all the bells and whistles due to show up for Year 2, including VR.

..Now I just get it as part of Game Pass? I absolutely love to see it.

Just as an update - I've just cashed in a load of my points and extended my current GamePass Ultimate further into the future, so it definitely still works. 

I spent 90,000 points, 15,000 points at a time, on six 3-month Xbox Live Gold codes (via the 'Redeem' tab of the Rewards app on Xbox One). It only shows you 1-month codes until you go to buy them, then there's a dropdown that you can change from 1 to 3. 

Each purchase sends you an email with a xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx code that you redeem on xbox.com. 

When you go to redeem it, it will tell you that the conversion rate is 3 months of Gold to 1 month of GPU. Ignore this - when you put it through, you will get 50 days, not 30. 

(Actually slightly more - I did six codes expecting 300 days, and got an extension of 311 days). 

No need to wait for your sub to lapse. It just works. 

15,000 points for 50 days = 300 points per day. So, as long as you can keep up an average of at least 300 points, Game Pass Ultimate will (currently) keep paying for itself indefinitely. 

For context my tally in the month of December 2021 was nearly 22,000 and I didn't try particularly hard. I certainly didn't get an achievement every day, for example, which is worth another 1,500 alone if you can keep it up. 

image.thumb.png.d0c2211f29b3ed3a9806d95bced1cb93.png

I persevered with the Gunk because I really enjoyed the act of sucking the stuff up, and ended up completing it. I still found the story and characters intensely annoying, and feel that I would really have loved the game if the tone was much less cosy and perky. But for all that, there was a lot to like about it. I enjoyed the look of the game - I don't know if it was deliberate, but the characters seemed to be modelled and textured to look like painted miniatures. The protagonist's jacket and gear even looks like it's been drybrushed. Technically, it was a bit ropey, with loads of loading breaks and the occasional bit where I got stuck in the scenery, but I found hoovering up the gunk to be incredibly satisfying, especially that bit where a huge tower is absolutely covered in the stuff.

1 hour ago, K said:

I persevered with the Gunk because I really enjoyed the act of sucking the stuff up, and ended up completing it. I still found the story and characters intensely annoying, and feel that I would really have loved the game if the tone was much less cosy and perky. But for all that, there was a lot to like about it. I enjoyed the look of the game - I don't know if it was deliberate, but the characters seemed to be modelled and textured to look like painted miniatures. The protagonist's jacket and gear even looks like it's been drybrushed. Technically, it was a bit ropey, with loads of loading breaks and the occasional bit where I got stuck in the scenery, but I found hoovering up the gunk to be incredibly satisfying, especially that bit where a huge tower is absolutely covered in the stuff.

I'm currently playing through it and it feels like I'm coming to the end. I'm loving it, it's just a super relaxing platformer with some nice wee puzzles and an awesome art style. 

But my god the pilot is an annoying character who needs to be fucked off into the sun. 

Spoiler

The constant losing her temper with the main character but then not saying why, or constantly telling the main character that she doesn't want to speak because it's a waste of her time, only to come back on moments later to ask for things that will benefit her is just crap. Makes her come across as a cold abusive piece of shit. 

4 minutes ago, tobert said:

How bad is the swearing in the Gunk? I think my kids would like it but they are too young for anything very explice (F-bombs for example)

There is a fair bit, but IIRC it's all "bollocks" and "shit". No fucks. It's a weird choice to have profanity in the dialogue, because it would otherwise be ideal for kids - it's gently-paced, easy, and has a fairly uncomplicated story. Probably fine for older kids, but I wouldn't let my six year old play it.