IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

I left my PC on overnight to download MS Flight Sim with that archaic and stupid installer, and now looking forward to testing the new PC out, I enter training and... Crash to desktop. Every time. What.

Even my laptop ran it when it came out. I assume they made an update that just fucked the game or something.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Too late, uninstalled. No time for buggy pieces of shite that I have to jump through hoops just to play. PC gaming can really suck at times.

Had this once with Forza Horizon 4 on my Son's PC once. Uninstalled updated drivers and reinstalled and all fine. Never did get the bottom of why it was failing and dropping back to the desktop. PC gaming at times so many combinations of hardware out there..... Amazed they work at times.

8 hours ago, Benny said:

Too late, uninstalled. No time for buggy pieces of shite that I have to jump through hoops just to play. PC gaming can really suck at times.

Mine crashed during the installer on launch day.

Same reaction as you, still not played it.

It's quite baffling, as it worked on my aging laptop at launch, but here I am with a PC that would actually run it properly and it... Doesn't. Every first party Microsoft title has been like this lately: Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, all have had problems on PC and weird stupid issues. Windows store apps seem to be buggy shite in general. And the Xbox App is just absolute garbage.

If anyone’s finding that the sheer volume of stuff on GP is making their storage bulge at the seams a bit, then these are (currently with a superb £/TB price right now) offer a great solution:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Desktop-External-Integrated-2-Port/dp/B07173WR4B/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=21416P8ATXS4W&keywords=seagate+xbox+8tb&qid=1640231067&sprefix=seagate+xbox+8%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Nice and quiet (for a mechanical drive) it’s surprising how quickly stuff loads from it and how quickly it’s sends Series S/X specific titles across to the internal drive as and when you want to play them. As a bonus the USB ports seem to have a decent amount of poke to them too, meaning they charge my phone nice and quickly / can power my SNES classic and they still do so when my Series X isn’t switched on :)

On 21/12/2021 at 13:27, Sardan said:

Wow, that does sound complicated. 

So, if I have understood it right I can do one of the two following things:

1 buy game pass on his account, he plays on his PC and we can all play on the Xbox if it is his “home” Console but not on any other PCs. Can we change which is the home console, may get a series X later?

2 buy game pass on my account and he and I can both play on PC if I am signed in on windows App Store and he is signed into the Xbox app.

Is that right?  Any particular advantage to either route?

thanks

I’m going to do this today, any views on which route is better?

11 hours ago, Benny said:

It's quite baffling, as it worked on my aging laptop at launch, but here I am with a PC that would actually run it properly and it... Doesn't. Every first party Microsoft title has been like this lately: Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, all have had problems on PC and weird stupid issues. Windows store apps seem to be buggy shite in general. And the Xbox App is just absolute garbage.

Dumb question, but have you tried updating your graphics drivers and stuff? All three of those games work fine for me on PC, although the Xbox app certainly has its quirks.

It might be worth checking through your event viewer to see what errors you're getting when the games crash, and giving them a Google. You'll probably end up with a million different unhelpful solutions that don't work, but you never know.

Yep, graphics card drivers are up to date. The Flight Sim crashing does appear to be a recent problem for a lot of people. I suspect corrupted files, which on say Steam would be easy enough to verify integrity and fix, but with Flight Sim that archaic installer would mean downloading it all over again in one sitting.

Thank you @Harsin for writing the overview, and @Mr. Gerbik for the heads-up on this thread. Followed the steps this afternoon and it worked a treat. Ultimate renewal date is showing as 24/12/24 :)

Also, for anyone getting an X/S over Christmas and planning on following the guide, CDKeys are currently selling the 12 month Gold memberships for £34.99. So three years of Ultimate will be a nudge under £106.

Now to get installing some games…!

19 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Any lower and three years Game Pass Ultimate will be cheaper than a new PS5 game!

Looking at what’s available on Ultimate, and what’s coming soon, I genuinely think this is the first console I’ll own without ever needing to buy a game.

20 hours ago, glb said:

Also, for anyone getting an X/S over Christmas and planning on following the guide, CDKeys are currently selling the 12 month Gold memberships for £34.99. So three years of Ultimate will be a nudge under £106.

Quality. My Game Pass runs out in ten days. Just bought three year's worth, which I'll be redeeming in about eleven day's time. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Any lower and three years Game Pass Ultimate will be cheaper than a new PS5 game!

Between this and Rewards, I've spent virtually fuck all on gaming for a good while now. My biggest cash outlay since 2019, when I bought the Ultimate Edition of MK11, has been £70 on a Series S. 

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Looking on CDKeys and they have 2 different 12 month memberships.

There's an EU one for £34.99 and a WW one for £42.99.

Which do I need being in the UK? My GP is good until May so I can buy codes now and wait to redeem them?

I bought EU for the UK.

When buying them was nice remembering when we officially were part of that.

Another Gamepass question, not the classic though.

My kids currently share one gamepass sub across their two Xboxes. One of them has now got a gaming PC, I'm presuming that he won't be able to use the Gamepass attached to his Xbox for his PC, as this effectively allows 3 devices to share a Gamepass account, rather than the 2 you can have at present? 

Guessing I'm going to have to get him another account?

47 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Another Gamepass question, not the classic though.

My kids currently share one gamepass sub across their two Xboxes. One of them has now got a gaming PC, I'm presuming that he won't be able to use the Gamepass attached to his Xbox for his PC, as this effectively allows 3 devices to share a Gamepass account, rather than the 2 you can have at present? 

Guessing I'm going to have to get him another account?

Gamepass on PC runs slightly differently so providing the account that has ‘bought’ Gamepass is logged into the Windows App Store on the PC and you are all part of the same Microsoft family group (done through the Microsoft website rather than the Xbox), you can log another account into the Xbox/Gamepass app on PC and use the Gamepass owned by the account in the Windows store.

Not entirely clear if that is by design or an accident as you will get notifications in the Xbox app warning your account doesn’t match the Windows store but it does work and it doesn’t seem to stop you from using two different PCs at once (my eldest can play on his laptop at the same time as I play on mine and the youngest can still be in the Series S). We only have a single Gamepass subscription (mine).

We are managing to juggle 3 accounts over two PCs and 2 Xboxes and it seems to work fine.