IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

7 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Tweet has been deleted, but there has been an update!

It's good that they've reversed what was a terrible decision, but what's with the "whatever the cost is" crap? Trying to shame people for not wanting to support NFTs is low. 

12 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's good that they've reversed what was a terrible decision, but what's with the "whatever the cost is" crap? Trying to shame people for not wanting to support NFTs is low. 

I don't think they were trying to shame anyone. I interpreted that as "whatever the business cost", as in whatever they could have earnt from selling a bunch of NFTs.

10 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Just finished that Deer Simulator game. WTF was that all about!!

9 hours ago, Ry said:

I uninstalled after 5 mins. Load of shite. 

My 11 and 8 year olds love it.

I watched them play a bit and it kind of comes over like a Roblox game on steroids so I suspect the age range of this forum is not the target market….

Played a bit of that Townscaper on Cloud streaming earlier and was pleasantly surprised. Went in for the easy cheevos and came out appreciating the abstract and stressless experience of just plonking bits of land and buildings on a big open map with no forced objectives whatsoever.

Controls are a bit finicky on gamepad though, defo one to play using a mouse.

21 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

On PC, has anyone managed to get Gamepass to install games on a secondary drive other than C : ? I can see the options for it, but even when I select it, when it comes to installing a game I don't seem to be offered any other option than C :

Yes. I've got games installed across three different drives, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Dumb question, but are you clicking on "CHANGE" next to the default drive letter? This should bring up a list of other drives.

image.png.cfac42c96a32eca464ce32419159f0d8.png

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Yes. I've got games installed across three different drives, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Dumb question, but are you clicking on "CHANGE" next to the default drive letter? This should bring up a list of other drives.

image.png.cfac42c96a32eca464ce32419159f0d8.png

Yeah - it only shows me C when I click there. 

There is another option under settings - general that lets me change where it installs by default. But even if I change that to D, the next time I go to install a game, it only offers me C as a location. 

The Forgotten City is the best thing I've played for ages. Brilliantly written, consistently smart in its plotting and with some great characters. If you persevere all the way through to the real ending (other endings also exist) then it goes to some very mad places indeed. An exceptional game for those of us who value storytelling over action.

19 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Forgotten City is the best thing I've played for ages. Brilliantly written, consistently smart in its plotting and with some great characters. If you persevere all the way through to the real ending (other endings also exist) then it goes to some very mad places indeed. An exceptional game for those of us who value storytelling over action.

Yeah been hearing a lot about this. What kind of game is it? And how long did it take you to finish? 

14 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah been hearing a lot about this. What kind of game is it? And how long did it take you to finish? 

It started life as a Skyrim mod, so it looks and controls a lot like that game, but at heart it's more like a point-and-click adventure. You explore a small Roman town trying to work out why everyone is trapped there and why you keep looping through time. It's big on conversations and puzzle-solving, low on action. I'm not going to say any more because the setup is quite unique and it's better to go in without knowing anything about the storyline.

It took me about 7 or 8 hours I think to uncover all its secrets. There are four endings, some of which you can get much earlier but it's well worth seeing it through to the canon ending as there's a lot of great stuff in there you would otherwise miss.

Yep, The Forgotten City is great, and that's a good summary. It's worth noting that it's not nearly as difficult as that may make it sound: though point and click adventures are its closest relative, progression is generally straightforward; a case of exploring and paying attention to figure things out, rather than trying endless combinations of objects/actions until the 'right' one is found.

The designers took on the idea of a timeloop game and made the exact opposite design decisions as the Twelve Minutes folks; it's a game about experimenting to get different outcomes and taking advantage of your foreknowledge to sculpt things through logical action exactly the way you want them, feeling empowered in a difficult situation. Rather than, say, being the World's Most Incompetent Man bumbling his way through repeated home invasions, and having to take such reasonable actions as e.g. drugging your wife to resolve the situation.

It's good, is what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

It started life as a Skyrim mod, so it looks and controls a lot like that game, but at heart it's more like a point-and-click adventure. You explore a small Roman town trying to work out why everyone is trapped there and why you keep looping through time. It's big on conversations and puzzle-solving, low on action. I'm not going to say any more because the setup is quite unique and it's better to go in without knowing anything about the storyline.

It took me about 7 or 8 hours I think to uncover all its secrets. There are four endings, some of which you can get much earlier but it's well worth seeing it through to the canon ending as there's a lot of great stuff in there you would otherwise miss.

Nice one, I think I’ll line it up as my next “story game”

Speaking of story games, I decided to download Firewatch. I bought and played through Firewatch when it wad released on PS4 about five years ago, but I couldn’t remember the main story.

As soon as it started I was amazed by how good it still looked but even better, everything held up quite nicely.

The voice actors did a fantastic job for this game, the chemistry between the two leads is spot on.

The way the suspense keeps piling up is the fruits of a very creatively written script and it all comes together nicely.

For what it is, I found it nigh on perfect and I completed it all in one sitting. 

I have an Xbox series S and we have several PCs, mine, my wife’s and my daughter’s.  All are registered with MS as a family sharing Office 365 etc.

I am setting up a new PC for my son’s Christmas present and I want to get Game Pass Ultimate on his PC, and if possible use family sharing to share Game Pass between his PC and the Xbox, and possibly the other PCs. How do I achieve that, please?

Game Pass Ultimate is for both PC and Xbox. BUT only for one account - the account that has the subscription must be logged in on the PC to play game pass games on PC. You cannot share subscriptions between other accounts on PC. If you want to play on another PC, that's fine but it has to be the same account.

On Xbox you can share between 2 Xboxes/acconts maximum. If person A has the subscription, you set Xbox B as his home console - any other account on that Xbox shares the subscription and all of the games person A has bought. Person B then plays on Xbox B.

Then you set Xbox A as the home console of person B. Person A plays on Xbox A but must be logged in since it's not his home console - but as long as he's logged in he has access to everything too.

Family sharing doesn't do anything in this case AFAIK.

To sum up, sharing between his PC and Xbox is automatic. That's one of the perks of Ultimate. On PC it only works on one account though, while on your Series S it works for all accounts on that console.

How old is the son? My Game Pass PC account is shared with my kid, it was a bit of a convoluted ballache to be honest, I had to set him up a user account on my PC where previously I'd just let him use mine. Then once that was done, logged in as him to Windows, logged into the Store as me, and then logged into Game Pass as him as a child account in my family group. Finally he could play Forza 5 as himself! But only after I'd 'installed' it through his Xbox Game Pass, fortunately it doesn't download the whole thing again or install a second copy (though nothing tells you if it it will or won't), it just finds the files already there from my install and uses them.

I have no idea why it has to be so difficult.

Wow, that does sound complicated. 

So, if I have understood it right I can do one of the two following things:

1 buy game pass on his account, he plays on his PC and we can all play on the Xbox if it is his “home” Console but not on any other PCs. Can we change which is the home console, may get a series X later?

2 buy game pass on my account and he and I can both play on PC if I am signed in on windows App Store and he is signed into the Xbox app.

Is that right?  Any particular advantage to either route?

thanks

Yeah, this sharing thing is desperately convoluted and I wish they'd make it explicit, by letting you share Game Pass (and all purchases) with your family group. I mean, Game Pass Ultimate and 365 Family is expensive, it's the least they could do.

I'm just thankful we don't have proper gaming PCs yet, because that sounds like it really complicates matters.