IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

21 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I've been wanting to try that 40k game for a while. Quite pleased it's popped up on GP. 

Stardew Valley is great as well, though I play that on my laptop. Never adverse to starting a new game, mind. 

Is Among Us cross platform at all? Could my three kids play it across a console, laptop and a tablet? 

Anvil seems decent. 

It's in preview still and doesn't explain much but gameplay wise it's essentially a co-op twin stick shooter Hades. It's hard as fuck though. Was easy to find other players as well (cross platform with PC)

Wasn't Chorvs supposed to be on gamepass?

I remember it being mentioned at E3 or something that's it's day one but I can't find any solid confirmation. 

I think it looks great and will buy it depending on reviews 

I think it featured in one of the MS showcase events where loads of stuff was announced as coming to gamepass - hence why people keep thinking it was day one. I'll hold off on it as it seems exactly the middle tier game that will be on the service in 3-6 months anyway.

24 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

Has anyone played Generation Zero? I love the look of it, like 'Tales from the Loop: The Game' but reviews aren't great

I always fancied it but avoided it as it's 30fps. 

Dropped on gamepass and it got a 60fps update. And I find it oddly captivating. Being alone in this absolutely massive map and gathering supplies somehow is very relaxing. I had to drop the difficulty though as the opening hours are hard as nails. 

Only gripe is that it's very soft looking, would prefer if the image was much sharper. 

24 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

Has anyone played Generation Zero? I love the look of it, like 'Tales from the Loop: The Game' but reviews aren't great

I finished it. It’s decent enough. Starts really good but loses steam as it goes and gets a bit repetitive. It is pretty hard which makes it better played as a co-op game. I bumped it down to easy towards the end to get it finished. Played a few sessions with friends but mostly solo.

The setting and story was really intriguing at the start. Feels really eerie and full of tension. The mystery continues to reveal itself nicely but the gameplay became a chore. At the harder level enemies felt like bullet sponges.

I was pressed for time trying to get it completed before Mass Effect came out so that may have contributed to my views on it. It is best when played in a more stealthy/avoid direct fighting approach.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

It holds a special kind of evocative appeal for me as I lived in Sweden for a time and so its hushed landscapes of pine forests dotted with Falu red wooden houses bring back many memories of endless midsommar evenings and bittersweet feelings from my time there.

As for the game itself it’s rock fucking hard to start with and does a good job of making you feel very vulnerable in a hostile world. There isn’t an awful lot to it really, in the sense that you scavenge through abandoned houses looking for better weapons and ammo and skulk among the trees avoiding pockets of deadly robots every so often and that’s kind of it. But it can be incredibly tense and it really nails the Simon Stålenhag ambience that it rather shamelessly rips off.

It’s hard to recommend as a well-rounded and fleshed out videogame but as a mid-budget atmospherically bleak and eerie experience there’s definitely something about it that is worthy of praise.

It’s on Xcloud so just give it a whirl via that for half an hour or so and see how you get on.

Yeah, shameless is definitely the word. It's a bit rum, the effort to which Avalanche have gone to deny the obvious influence. Then on the other hand you've got the (very decent) Iron Harvest openly licensing Jakub Różalski's not entirely dissimilar art, but frankly failing utterly to express it meaningfully beyond "mechs in early 20th century Eastern Europe lol". It would be nice to see a developer manage the double whammy of licensing an art style and evoking it successfully!

14 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

A friend of mine played and loved it, so recommended it to me. I read some reviews and they were largely poor but I then came across this:  https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-generation-zero-was-fixed after which I decided to give it a go. I'd also just recently had a (very) surprisingly nice but brief play on that hunting simulator game, had loved the terrain and though it would be neat if there were a FPS game that used the same or similar environment which GZ does. 

Struggling for words a bit today after a Xmas get together last night but these two posts hit the nail right on the head for me. 

14 hours ago, Ry said:

I find it oddly captivating. 

13 hours ago, Gringo said:

Feels really eerie and full of tension. 

It is best when played in a more stealthy/avoid direct fighting approach.

Think I'll try and get some free time to revisit it this weekend :).

Blimey, I only just found out today that Generation Zero was on Game Pass from idly checking what's available, after holding off on it in Steam sales. Looks like I'm late to the party.

Spent a few hours on it, I like it quite a bit - enough to go back to it tomorrow instead of mindless driving on Forza. Has the same 'wander about and blast shit' appeal as Bethesda fallout joints, with none of the RPG mechanics but with that neat Swedish vibe.

An option to uncap the framerate on the Series consoles would have been nice, but it's not a deal breaker for a first go around - especially as I can keep it lumped on the external drive while it's not optimised.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Blimey, I only just found out today that Generation Zero was on Game Pass from idly checking what's available, after holding off on it in Steam sales. Looks like I'm late to the party.

Spent a few hours on it, I like it quite a bit - enough to go back to it tomorrow instead of mindless driving on Forza. Has the same 'wander about and blast shit' appeal as Bethesda fallout joints, with none of the RPG mechanics but with that neat Swedish vibe.

An option to uncap the framerate on the Series consoles would have been nice, but it's not a deal breaker for a first go around - especially as I can keep it lumped on the external drive while it's not optimised.

It's 60 on series consoles 

Weird, didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as Forza Horizon 5 on Performance Mode while in the preload area. I'll see how it gets on when I start the game up today.

Again, though, it's not a deal breaker in the first place as the start of it requires more creeping around.

Edit: turns out there is a problem - scaling isn't working as intended, so it's running slower on SS. Here's Series X by comparison.

9 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Archvale is pretty darn fun. It’s basically classic 2D Zelda mixed with twin stick bullet hell combat, sounds a bit weird but works really well. 

It does indeed sound....interesting!! I know nothing of it so there's only one way to find out what it's all about....downloading :)

57 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Archvale is pretty darn fun. It’s basically classic 2D Zelda mixed with twin stick bullet hell combat, sounds a bit weird but works really well. 

Yep. Been playing for 3hrs today. Really fun. First 2 hours I thought it a bit easy. Now I'm in bullet hell so I need to reassess!

So last night having been out for a couple of beers I dipped back into Generation Zero. 

It's smooth as anything now on Series X, and again I found myself getting really sucked into it as it's just so (certainly to me) atmospheric. Creeping through the trees and spotting a settlement and checking it out for bastard robots with my binoculars / scope before getting into position and trying to take them out from afar is bloody tense to say the least, and lets not even get started on how frantic it is when I'm stuck in a house with five or six of them bounding around in the back garden! 

Also came across this which some of the older members on here might appreciate....  

Spoiler

IMG_5363.thumb.jpg.433db8fee6cf04a7e5de8afe48ee9ca3.jpg

:)

22 minutes ago, womble9 said:

lets not even get started on how frantic it is when I'm stuck in a house with five or six of them bounding around in the back garden! 

That just means you got somewhere to shoot from! I ended up in a similar situation while doing a quest to blow up a fuel depot - I cycled to the place, attracting about 10+ high-end hunter robots and a lot of the robo-dog things.

went into the fuel place, blew it up, and then realised that they all chased me to the depot, and were waiting outside.

Spoiler

Unfortunately for them, I brought the RPG and LMG I looted from a military base.

2028791444_GenerationZero(2).png.45dd8065197d19f36b57f46364f7f1c0.png

I love it. So much so, I bought the game on Steam so I can play it on the Deck next year. It really scratches that exploration based looting/shooting itch from Fallout that doesn't quite happen with standard stuff like Borderlands/Destiny.