IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

🤷‍♂️ 

Ah, you're presumably one of those "what's the point of a walking simulator" types, then. In that light, the mechanical goal is the same as that in most platformers: to get to the end. Unlike most platformers, the pleasure derived is from enjoying exploring strange, alien environments and/or a story, rather than overcoming challenges. This may or may not appeal to you.

Of course, whether the game is any good at achieving the above — i.e. crafting interesting environments to explore/an engaging story to enjoy — I don't know, what with it not being out yet. I'm looking forward to finding out, though! Once I get through SMT V, at least.

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ah, you're presumably one of those "what's the point of a walking simulator" types, then. In that light, the mechanical goal is the same as that in most platformers: to get to the end. Unlike most platformers, the pleasure derived is from enjoying exploring strange, alien environments and/or a story, rather than overcoming challenges. This may or may not appeal to you.

Of course, whether the game is any good at achieving the above — i.e. crafting interesting environments to explore/an engaging story to enjoy — I don't know, what with it not being out yet. I'm looking forward to finding out, though! Once I get through SMT V, at least.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever played any. I think the closest I’ve been is What Remains of Edith Finch, but that definitely had game mechanics in it. I really enjoyed it as well, so hopefully Exo is as good. I’m looking forward to giving it a go.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

I will. I was just wondering what kind of game it was. Not too controversial a question to ask, is it?

Sorry no course not, but it just looks like the kind of game you need to experience yourself and might ruin some good moments if you read up on it too much beforehand. 

2 hours ago, JPL said:

It does look great, but I’ve watched a couple of videos of it now and I’m still none the wiser on what kind of game it is. What’s the objective in it?

Momentum and style. It lookea like a game that just feels great to play and gets you in a zone. Kinda like Thumper or even Super Monkey Ball as it looks like you need to keep that momentum going to reach an end goal. 

Or to keep it simple, it's kinda like a racing game. 

Deer Simulator, Evil Genius 2, Exo One, Fae Tactics, Undungeon, Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition, My Friend Pedro and Next Space Rebels come to cloud, console and PC.

Dead Space and Dragon Age Origins come to cloud.

Leaving soon according to the app:

Hello Neighbor

FIFA 19

Call of the Sea

Haven

Morkredd

Football Manager 2021 (Xbox and PC editions)

Va-11 Hall-A

Haven't played most of those but I did really enjoy Call of the Sea, a gentle little puzzle game/walking simulator that's atmospheric and doesn't outstay its welcome.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I doubt it's relevant to many people in here but the Destiny 2 expansions will be leaving on 8th December. Means I'm gonna have to hope Beyond Light is on offer before that 😕

It's currently 20 quid for the code on CDKeys. Would be nice if it ended up cheaper via a gamepass discount but that is already 46% off.

I can't see why the answer wouldn't be yes, but the trick to cheap GPU in the first post mentions getting Live codes from CDkeys. It's $60 for 12 months here, so $180 + $10.99 GPU conversion. But would the same still work using rewards on 3 month Live codes from MS directly? 3 years worth of 3mo Live codes works out as 240,000 points, which I think I might have by the time my 3year/$1 thing runs out next summer. It's definitely worth the $180, but if I can just spend these points then all the better while they're allowing this daft deal.

Just a warning for anyone playing through Dicey Dungeons: don't play it on PC and then on Xbox. I'd been making my way through the game on PC, having won the first chapter with the first five characters, and thought I'd download and fire it up on the Xbox this evening for a quick play from the couch. Only, it started from the very beginning — fine, I thought, it mustn't have cross-save, and swiftly quit and uninstalled it from the console. Only, having now gone to fire it up on PC, it's reset my progress to the pre-tutorial stage there, as well — so cross-save is active, it's just not working properly, and the Xbox evidently overwrote the PC's save data with its no progress state.

I've uninstalled it from the PC as well, now, and won't be playing it again, as that's around four hours of progress lost, and I can't really be bothered doing it all again.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Me and my son have been playing through it takes two.just half an hour a night. It's brilliant. The first game we have played together, really engaging, looks nice, fun puzzles, great bosses, split screen.

I highly recommend it. 

How old is he? There's one scene that might be quite upsetting for a younger child.

3 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

How old is he? There's one scene that might be quite upsetting for a younger child.

My daughter and I might have got to this bit last weekend.

She was mortified, and the hardest thing for me was to keep a straight face as the whole thing was so unnecessarily evil :lol:

What a brilliant game this is btw - I think we're nearing the end but it's been such tremendous fun throughout.

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

7. What is it please? We are just fighting a robot wasp

Spoiler

The parents decide that they need to make their daughter cry again, as it was her tears that caused the problem in the first place.

So they destroy her favourite stuffed toy. You're literally pulling the legs and ears off it as it's begging you to stop. It's an absolutely horrible sequence given how well-judged the rest of the game is.