IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

51 minutes ago, Benny said:

Shenmue is essentially just a detective game.

Nah, it's about discovery. I still remember the moment I exited the Hazuki mansion for the very first time, went down the stairs on the right and was just looking at the clothesline for a few minutes. It was beautiful in 2000 - and still is to some extent, but today every game does it (Unreal engine).

Yeah I think the problem for me on replaying is I am not a fighting game person.

In Shenmue that essentially becomes a barrier to finishing the good bit.

In Yakuza you can work through it.

Hang on, I thought Yakuza was the 'Japanese GTA' and Sleeping Dogs was like 'Shenmue but with driving in it'

Anyone with actually plays them knows they nothing alike, aside from a Japanese male protagonist. The only thing similar is that they were both on life support 5 years ago but Yakuza Zero hit at the perfect moment and Shenmue III delivered a decent game on a fuck all budget. 

I love Yakuza as well, but it's nothing like Shenmue. They complement each other very well.

When you fight in Shenmue, it's a big story event. There's more fights in Yakuza running from one end of the town to the other than the entirety of the first Shenmue game. Yakuza's time of day changes to suit the plot. Shenmue is a full day that you must plan to make the most out of. You must work, train, fight and investigate in equal measure to progress, in a real time setting. In Yakuza, if I want to spend 30 real hours between the next story checkpoint just doing management mini games or go kart, I can do that. Shenmue is quite downbeat and dry with a small main cast , with the occasional comedic element, and a large emphasis on martial arts. Yakuza is hilarious and melodramatic with many excellent characters, with a large emphasis on hitting people with breakdancing moves. 

They are both great series and nothing alike, apart from arcades rammed full of Yu Suzuki classics.

19 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The Good Life is Swery's new game, right?

God knows what that god-bothering thing in the bottom left is.

It's a comedy game I believe using the same type of animation style as Terry Gilliam did on Monty Python I believe. It got decent reviews. 

Been meaning to try The Procession to Calvary, so that'll do just fine.

Curious to see what the deal is with The Good Life. Feels like they've been working on that for ages.

I liked Procession to Calvary when I reviewed it. Very silly and hugely influenced by Monty Python but if the humour fits you then there's lots to love. Visage is one of the better PT likes out there too but duffers from some overly obscure moments so I'd recommend checking a walkthrough rather than getting stuck wandering around. Perfect Halloween game. 

Second the rec for Mighty Goose too. I'm loving it. On the + levels and the difficulty is really well judged. If the idea of a fusion of Untitled Goose Game and Metal Slug sounds good then get hold of it :)

51 minutes ago, Majora said:

I'd never heard of Visage but quite a few people in the Resetera thread are citing it as a must-play for horror fans..

Anyone here played it?

Seeing people on reddit saying its insanely scary also. 

Never even heard of it personally

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I'd never heard of Visage but quite a few people in the Resetera thread are citing it as a must-play for horror fans..

Anyone here played it?

This is my review from the PC version last year. Think it's been patched to fix most of my complaints. It does have some properly scary moments - https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/12/17/visage-review/

And whilst I'm shamelessly sharing my writeups (I'm not paid by click) here's what I thought of Calvary - https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/05/08/the-procession-to-calvary-review/

Both solid 7/10s that have lots to offer if they tickle your fancy :)

How long does it take to complete? I do like the artstyle, but am not a fan of adventures - but if it is short enough then I'll give it a go. 

10 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

And whilst I'm shamelessly sharing my writeups (I'm not paid by click) here's what I thought of Calvary - https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/05/08/the-procession-to-calvary-review/

Both solid 7/10s that have lots to offer if they tickle your fancy :)

On 05/10/2021 at 15:29, Majora said:

Anyone here played it?

Looking forward to seeing what this is like. Hopefully it will also be on the Cloud service save me a download to try it out.

Speaking of the xCloud had a quick blast on a few games tonight using it. Games looked better than my PC could achieve have they upgraded the back end hardware recently or something? 

Edit

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21295326/microsoft-project-xcloud-xbox-series-x-servers-hardware-2021

Looks like they are using X hardware impressed.

I started The Artful Escape last night and was really enjoying it, up to the 

Spoiler

talk show bit, which just seemed very odd and out of place, even in a psychedelic inter-dimensional space odyssey game.

After that, though, I jammed out with a giant talking alien space moth, and it got good again. Looking forward to playing through it over a course of a few evenings this week. The voice acting is very good.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I started The Artful Escape last night and was really enjoying it, up to the 

Hide contents

talk show bit, which just seemed very odd and out of place, even in a psychedelic inter-dimensional space odyssey game.

After that, though, I jammed out with a giant talking alien space moth, and it got good again. Looking forward to playing through it over a course of a few evenings this week. The voice acting is very good.

I think I did that bit yesterday and finished it today. It’s really not very long. I enjoyed it, though, and I think it’d outstay its welcome if it were any longer.

Just have to say this is a service that keeps giving! I don't think I've played and enjoyed so many original and fun games for years! It's just one game after another and more to the point I'm finishing them! Although I got GPU through the Gold deal I'd happily pay the full asking price for this each month.

Just to note I also have a PS5 at the moment but reluctant to actually buy anything on it because I can't try anything out to see if I would enjoy it. Which of course is the beauty of GamePass try something if you enjoy it keep playing if not try something else. xCloud streaming makes this even more trivial. Think ultimately the PS5 may get moved on at some point.

GamePass is changing the way I consume games and it fits perfectly for me more to the point I'm enjoying my gaming more and effectively paying less. 

Anyway at the moment running it though an ageing PC which definitely needs an upgrade at some point as the 980Ti is struggling at times. Perhaps I should have kept my X for a while longer as GPUs still seem hard to get for sensible money. Sigh.

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

GamePass is changing the way I consume games and it fits perfectly for me more to the point I'm enjoying my gaming more and effectively paying less. 

Absolutely. I put that AI: Somnium Files installing last night, just based on how much people have enthused about it. Plus I love the look of these almost anime games. But there's no way I'd have otherwise taken a punt on this normally. Perhaps back in the days of demos. I mentioned in another post recently that I think FH4 was the last actual full price game I've bought, outside of the Switch.

Mighty Goose is Metal Slug reimagined for the modern world. Super-slick, fantastically frenetic and you can do a level in a few minutes without having to commit to a long play session.

Not often you find modern games that give you that old school arcade thrill, without actually being frustrating old school arcade games.

I've just noticed that Microsoft Solitaire added a whole load of new achievements. They're not visible through the android app if you scroll down and hit the Awards button, but they're definitely available if you check the Xbox app. A whole bunch just popped when I opened the PC version of Solitaire. I'd kinda given up, as the remaining achievements are pretty much beyond me, like completing all daily challenges in a month (I can't for the life of me do expert Spider solitaire).

Finally, I am recognized for being amongst 0.05% of gamers who have hit level 100!

I know you're all excited about this.

Well another pleasant gamepass surprise in the procession to Calvary. 

A pretty simple point and click but genuinely funny in places and probably most folk would complete in a couple of hours. 
Well worth a look. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

I watched the trailer for Visage, which is now available. It looks scary. Really scary. And the reviews seem pretty positive too. 

I lasted five minutes before I shit myself and turned it off. It's literally PT 

9 hours ago, carlospie said:

I lasted five minutes before I shit myself and turned it off. It's literally PT 

Me too! But I had to stop because the movement was making me feel nauseous. :wacko:

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST