Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

54 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I actually find Bradigor’s reviews to be the most helpful of anyone’s as I know if he likes it I’ll think it’s shit. Don’t mean that to sound aggressive, it’s just genuinely the case with most things. 

Same. Bought a couple of things on their recommendation and quickly realised we're polar opposites when it comes to games. 

Their, not his :)

And I... actually don't mind Skate Bird? I went in expecting something completely broken — glitchy controls, non-functioning physics or similar — and it's none of the above. I definitely don't rate it as a brilliant example of its genre, and the fact that THPS and Skate are finally getting attention again does render it a lot less relevant, but it's a perfectly acceptable skatearound with a lot of character.

(it probably helps that I'm a sucker for miniaturised perspectives in games — they just take me back to that happy place of Dreamcast-era games like ReVolt and Toy Commander)

As I've decided to repurpose an SSD as an external drive for the Series S, and mucking around with games that may/may not run from the drive, I ended up stumbling into Descenders and Crown Trick.

Descenders is great - there's a real sense of speed when you're bombing it down the track, general controls are super tight (maybe the trick aspects could be on a better button but an actual solution is beyond my brain power at the moment), and the procedural generation combined with active players just playing the game in the same session just makes it a very lively experience, bit like the multiplayer aspects of No Man's Sky. Except you're definitely riding a bike into a tree in the process. I definitely prefer it to Lonely Mountains Downhill, which is a bit more ruthless but still a decent bike-based jaunt.

Crown Trick was.. not what I was expecting, honestly. I saw some PoE/Diablo streamers were playing so I thought it was an ARPG, but it's definitely more in the vein of a traditional dungeon crawler. Not my cup of tea, but it's well presented and seemed mechanically sound.

(Unlike Skatebird, which was shiiiiiiiiit ;))

For the record I was just having a quick little giggle with Carlos bye skatebird is a little bit disappointing from why I wanted it to be however I am enjoying it enough that I think it's good for a quick 5-minute pick up and play I'll be talking about it in the podcast hopefully this week if my surgery goes well today but it's a it's just my load games where it's not as all four was a lot of people making out but it's not as great as some of the many of the early expectations were expecting it to be so yeah but it has a cute bird and that bird thinks they're people and does skateboarding that's enough but yeah no it's you know it's average game I would say I spoke about that not on last lot on this most recent podcast but the week before I spoke about average games and I think they're good to have I think I've only sometimes we get a lot of hyperbole when it comes to discussing games if I forgot to be absolutely exceptional or complete and utter dog sites and to be honest I think skateboard falls in the middle somewhere ok that's why I don't score games I refuse to score games because I don't know what I would score it because it is enjoyable to me but not as great as I would have hoped but yeah definitely not as bad as what some people are saying

After sinking 50 hours into Like a Dragon and hitting the highs of level 66 I'm finally done with Yakuza Like a Dragon. It's my first proper attempt at playing a Yakuza title and it really swept me off my feet. So much fun and going to miss wandering around with Ichiban and the party. My next step was straight into Yakuza 0 and though it was short still managed a good 5 hours yesterday afternoon. I wasn't a fan of the combat and do prefer the RPG elements of the other and after a bit of time swinging Kiryu's fists around I had to lower the difficulty a bit :lol: I aiming for a straight run through of the full series so I don't want to be stuck on battles for ages. LAD had a few bottlenecks where I just hit a brick wall in progress and needed hours of levlelling up but not got the patience for too much of that going forward.

0 has a broken save system right off the bat. It was a good hour before I realised it hadn't saved and you had to use though phonebooths everytime. Quite the change from the save most places before. You can go 30-45 minutes in some sections without a save option with no auto save so you are in for a tough ride if you forget. Thank god for the X's Quick Resume. It's a much older game and very clunky but being able to see Kamurocho and where Ichiban was born in passing is quite interesting, never played a series of games before that are based around the same place. Hope it doesn't become too repetitive the further I go. Having loads of fun getting into this series and after this I'm probably going to take a break to finally play Red Dead 2 as I'll need a brief break before pushing on. Quite enjoying what I've seen so far and punching my way through a Yakuza base like a badass was all kinds of awesome. God knows what's coming next but I'm in for the long haul. And ALL of this is available for free on GP :o even the spin off Judgement (that might be a Gold game buut I installed it anyway).

Most of the Yakuza games use the phone booth save system, unfortunately - only the newest games (Kiwami 2, 6 and Like a Dragon) have autosave/save anywhere. Like you say, the Quick Resume feature is a godsend.

Working your way through the whole series will take you a good long while, make sure you spread it out a bit. They're long games and quite samey so play other stuff in between. You'll also have to get used to the way you will jump backwards and forwards in terms of the age of the games and the technology used, as they've had differing standards of remake, so that'll be less jarring if you space the games out.

Zero is absolutely brilliant though, arguably still the best in the series. Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

If I set a console to my Home Xbox, I know other accounts on the Xbox will be able to play my games, but will they be able to use the Game Pass app and easily be able to tell which games they can and can't download?

They can download and play everything you can, that includes everything on game pass and all the gold games you've claimed.

42 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Most of the Yakuza games use the phone booth save system, unfortunately - only the newest games (Kiwami 2, 6 and Like a Dragon) have autosave/save anywhere. Like you say, the Quick Resume feature is a godsend.

Working your way through the whole series will take you a good long while, make sure you spread it out a bit. They're long games and quite samey so play other stuff in between. You'll also have to get used to the way you will jump backwards and forwards in terms of the age of the games and the technology used, as they've had differing standards of remake, so that'll be less jarring if you space the games out.

Zero is absolutely brilliant though, arguably still the best in the series. Enjoy!

I've seencomments made of it being a masterpiece in some places. I've been trying to keep away from possible story stuff in case I ruin it, few things I'm sure were past references in LAD so sure it will all make sense soon. I did see a piece saying that the 4th game was the worst and a real slog to get through so I might jump into Judgement after the the 1st Kiwami game to give myself a proper break. Just not enough time in the day to get through them :lol: Was up til 2am yesterday to hit the end of LAD. Crazy.

1 minute ago, Lorfarius said:

I've seencomments made of it being a masterpiece in some places. I've been trying to keep away from possible story stuff in case I ruin it, few things I'm sure were past references in LAD so sure it will all make sense soon. I did see a piece saying that the 4th game was the worst and a real slog to get through so I might jump into Judgement after the the 1st Kiwami game to give myself a proper break. Just not enough time in the day to get through them :lol: Was up til 2am yesterday to hit the end of LAD. Crazy.

Opinions vary but 3 and 4 are the bump in the road for most people - they're early PS3 games and are really showing their age. Kiwami 1 is also a bit peculiar as it's a remake of the oldest game in the series (and has carried across a lot of its problems) but then also has a load of stuff shoved in there following up from events in Zero.

But they're all good, and all worth playing through for the plot and crazy side-stories!

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

They can download and play everything you can, that includes everything on game pass and all the gold games you've claimed.

Thanks. But does the stuff available to them show up as free, if that makes any sense? Like do they have access to Game Pass app or does it just ask them to sign up to Game Pass?

If they are logged in with their own account they will see what they can see in the store (so if they don't have a GP account they will not be able to see stuff for free). If your account was set to auto login (or they log it in via profiles) then they could use your account to browse and download. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

If I set a console to my Home Xbox, I know other accounts on the Xbox will be able to play my games, but will they be able to use the Game Pass app and easily be able to tell which games they can and can't download?

Pretty sure they can’t use the phone app as they don’t have Gamepass in their own right but when logged into their account on the Xbox they will see and be able to download all Gamepass games as normal if it is set as the home Xbox for an account with Gamepass (even when that account is not signed in).

(this actually also works on a second Xbox providing it is online and the main account is also signed in. Any other accounts on the console can see all the games and download them as long as the Gamepass owning account is also signed in. So my kids can play on both Xbox’s at the same time playing Gamepass games (although I couldn’t log in and play anything on a third Xbox, but interestingly I can play PC Gamepass games when they are both on).

Thanks. Yep, have been game sharing for years but my brother doesn’t really download new games. Am thinking of changing my home Xbox to the wife’s niece and nephew’s Series S when my Series X arrives and want them to be able to browse everything available to them rather than have to check if something is on Game Pass or not. 

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. Yep, have been game sharing for years but my brother doesn’t really download new games. Am thinking of changing my home Xbox to the wife’s niece and nephew’s Series S when my Series X arrives and want them to be able to browse everything available to them rather than have to check if something is on Game Pass or not. 

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that subscriptions are also shared on your home Xbox. They could simply pin the gamepass app to the dash and browse that. Or go into the game library, there you find every game available to you subdivided into categories: owned, gold, game pass, EA Access. Each category is sorted alphabetically by default iirc but you can filter by purchase date, install status, whatever. There should be no need for them to ever use the Store. Basically, they use the Xbox as you do now with everything available to you also available to them. It works for them how it works for you.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

For the record I was just having a quick little giggle with Carlos bye skatebird is a little bit disappointing from why I wanted it to be however I am enjoying it enough that I think it's good for a quick 5-minute pick up and play I'll be talking about it in the podcast hopefully this week if my surgery goes well today but it's a it's just my load games where it's not as all four was a lot of people making out but it's not as great as some of the many of the early expectations were expecting it to be so yeah but it has a cute bird and that bird thinks they're people and does skateboarding that's enough but yeah no it's you know it's average game I would say I spoke about that not on last lot on this most recent podcast but the week before I spoke about average games and I think they're good to have I think I've only sometimes we get a lot of hyperbole when it comes to discussing games if I forgot to be absolutely exceptional or complete and utter dog sites and to be honest I think skateboard falls in the middle somewhere ok that's why I don't score games I refuse to score games because I don't know what I would score it because it is enjoyable to me but not as great as I would have hoped but yeah definitely not as bad as what some people are saying

I held my breath reading your post, the lack of punctuation nearly suffocated me :lol: 

On a more serious note, I love that you stand up for your views but you don't have to come out and defend them. If you find joy in Skatebird, well good on you. 

I tend to find joy in games that the majority writes off as bad to average and I couldn't care less what other people think. For some reason, a lot of people on here are triggered when someone goes against their views on something and goes off on a lecturing spree for reasons I can only imagine. 

Whenever I stumble upon a game that I really like I try and write about it on this forum, partly as a recommendation and as a heads up in case people might not have heard about the game.

Over the past month I've written about and praised Last Stop, Omni and The Artful Escape but for each game it never took more than a handful of replies before someone disagreed, it's as if different people have different taste. Go figure. 

PS: Good luck with the surgery

PPS: Personally I found Skatebird shit. 

Some more chat about what sort of summoning circle you have to draw in order to figure out what will and won't work with Game Pass sharing. It's 2021, this whole thing should be explicitly shared via the family group, like a 365 subscription.

14 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I'm really enjoying Flynn Son of Crimson. It's a fun little game and I really like the music.

It reminds me of an old megs drive game you would rent. Or shovel knight. Either way I love it.

Signs of The Sojourner might be an outside pick, but it's very good. It's an Inkle / 80 Days style choose your own adventure game with a basic deck building mechanic for how the conversations pan out.

Very "cosy" without the overbearing tweeness that might imply.

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

0 has probably the maddest side stories in the series, a ton of fun diversions they put loads of work into like the hostess club and mini car racing and my favourite fight system in any of the games. 2 characters with 3 different styles each, just perfect. Its so easy to find something fun to do whenever you get on. Plus it has one of the best, completely bonkers Yakuza stories with those millions of twists that sets you up for the whole Kiryu saga..

Playing through the rest of the series today after it has some real ups and downs. I found its worth browsing the big Yakuza thread here for advice. 

Not a new release but I'm really enjoying Bridge Constructor Portal - not the first time I've played it, got a long way thru on the phone version but it's just so well done and whilst appearing unlikely bedfellows the 2 games go together really well

On 18/09/2021 at 12:39, Stanley said:

I don’t mind Aragami 2, sure it’s pretty basic both stealth wise, combat wise and visually, but I still quite enjoy playing it :unsure:

I just played through the whole thing, there's quite a bit of game in there. I think it takes a bit too long before you start to feel like a badass ninja, but by about halfway though the game you do become OP as fuck and it actually starts to feel quite fun. Yes, it looks a bit like a AA 360 game, and the story is rubbish, and it's full of bugs, but damnit, sometimes you just want to play am incredibly easy shitty ninja stealth game. 

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST