Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

On a slightly related note, my brother in law has bought a PS5 for his kids thinking they’d be pleased. They come over to ours and only play the Series S. They turned the PS5 on once and couldn’t care less because my digital and PS+ collection just doesn’t match Game Pass. I’m trying to convince him to take the PS5 back or sell it and get them a Series S and Game Pass. 

I'm guessing your brother in law *himself* prefers the PS5 - he's probably interested in specific Sony exclusives himself - and thus the PS5 is what the kids got and are stuck with.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm guessing your brother in law *himself* prefers the PS5 - he's probably interested in specific Sony exclusives himself - and thus the PS5 is what the kids got and are stuck with.

Nah. Hasn’t got a clue and does things without asking for advice. 

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

There just aren't any games that are written to take advantage of these machines,  that's it. 

I think there'll be a couple of impressive looking games this year, but unless halo and forza do it for you, I don't think they'll be on gamepass. 

You might have to put your hand in your pocket and buy Call Of Duty this year if you want maximum bells and whistles on Series X. I gather the buzz is that it's the best looking console game ever.

Nah the call of duty will just be call of duty. Just wait till they fill the screen with UI elements.

E2094CE9-69DF-441C-9498-336B54191B40.thumb.png.de709f2ea9cb79de9d7df390e1d33bef.png
Not to mention the gameplay which will be decades old by this point , but that’s harsh because I just don’t enjoy the hoorah nonsense anymore.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

@dumpsterI’m not really sure the point you are making. I’m playing Zelda Skyward Sword at the moment. Doesn’t make the GP library worthless or change it’s value proposition  just I’m enjoying something else. If EDF was on game pass you’d play it there, or are you saying you are so obsessed with the objective cost that you wouldn’t enjoy it if you hadn’t payed 20 quid for it? When I got my Quest I played loads of games on that, didn’t suddenly make my PS4, Switch and Xbox libraries worthless.

Just because you have a subscription service it doesn’t have to be the be all and end all of all you play. 

Ultimately there are always more games released than we can consume and we make a choice, generally forced upon us by the amount we can afford to spend, GP just lowers that cost barrier and arguably allows more people the opportunity to sample more games.

I think it comes down to this...  Gamepass is great value for money and you would be a fool not to subscribe to it if you have the Xbox. But for me, it is a load of stuff that's just..  there..   whereas EDF5 is a game I've chosen.  Now, if it happened to be on Gamepass that would have been great, but that would be a bonus.  

It's like when you first discover emulation and dowload a complete Romset.  Suddenly you have a thousand new games to play, you spend 10 minutes perusing the list only to go back to Mario Kart because that's the game you actually want.  

I guess that's where I'm coming from.  Gamepass is brilliant but theres so much choice that I end up barely scraping the surface of it, because I didn't make a considered choice to get those games. They're just.. there.  It's great to have them but unless the game you really wanted happens to be on it it's just extra choice that I don't really need because I already have too many games in the pile. 

But it's an amazing service and I recommend it.  For the price of a bottle of wine a week you get to play something like Last Stop which you may love or hate but even if you waste an hour on it once, that's a tenners worth.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

One thing that I've found with Game Pass, although this extends to all streaming platforms, including for films, TV and music, too, is that I value the games on it far less than if I'd actually paid for them. I'm a lot quicker to abandon a Game Pass game, for example, than one I've bought outright, because it's 'free'.

My sub is good for another couple of years, so it's a moot point for the time being, but after it runs out I'm going to seriously consider whether I renew it or not for this reason. It was the same with PS Plus, and was a big part of why I cancelled that; I found myself 'ticking off' my PS Plus games, completing and enjoying some, but uninstalling the majority of them after less than an hour's play. I was playing them because I felt obliged to, because they were sat there in my library, rather than because I wanted to. The same is true of Game Pass, a lot of the time (although, admittedly, the hit to shit ratio is a lot better than it was with PS Plus).

This is probably a wider topic about 'free' content and perceived value, but I've recently started buying 4K and regular Blu-Rays again, despite subscribing to Netflix 4K, Prime Video and Disney Plus, and I'm finding I value the discs I buy and enjoy the films I watch a lot more than if they were just on a streaming service. I'm also actually watching the films, too, enjoying the ritual of setting aside a couple of hours to give them my full attention, whereas before I was hardly ever watching films, despite having access to thousands of them through the aforementioned streaming services.

I was talking to my dad about this the other day as well. His favourite hobby is listening to music, and for the past five years he's done so almost exclusively from buying vinyl. He cancelled his Spotify sub years ago because he found that he wasn't really listening to the music on there properly, whereas now, because a record costs at least £15 each time and he can only afford to buy a few each month, he'll take the time to sit and listen to it properly and get his money's worth, valuing it a lot more. There are also lots of albums he's learnt to like after repeated listens that he would have just dismissed if he'd listened to them on Spotify and decided after one hearing that he didn't like them.

I think the same is true of games. I uninstalled The Ascent after about 30 minutes because I couldn't be done with waiting for it to get good, but if I'd paid for it then I may have tolerated its flaws a lot more. All the best games I've played so far this year have been ones I've paid for. In fact, I've completed 22 games since the start of 2021 and only two of those have been Game Pass games. I don't know if there's any significance to this, and I'm aware I'm rambling, but it's something which occurs to me quite frequently.

I am finding this a lot as well, but I think alongside the different value you place on things you buy it’s also the case that the sheer volume of content on these subscription services masks the fact that a lot of them are very much ‘wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle’ in what they actually offer you. 

Take films as an example - think of your favourite director and then find out how many of their films are accessible via streaming services. Even if you’re fortunate enough to have the whole shebang of Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Netflix, in my experience you will be lucky to have access to half. And that’s for the likes of Steven Spielberg or David Fincher - try going even slightly less mainstream and the choice on the streaming services is even worse. 

Game Pass and PS Now are no different. It completely blows my mind when I see people on here say things like they’ll never buy another game and Game Pass is all they need forever now. If I had to make a list of the 50 best games of this century I think only a small handful are currently on the service. 

All these big companies have done a great job in convincing us that their services are the only way to consume media, but not one of them comes close to comprehensive coverage - for film, TV and video games anyway. Spotify might be closer for music but I imagine someone who’s much more into their music than I am can list a load of vital records that aren’t on there.

7 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Forever. They technically don't do years of gold any more so whatever stock is out there should be finite now. Did you top up to 3 years before you converted?

No, it's definitely changed. I decided to convert my Gold to Gamepass back in, maybe February, and I think it converted one year of gold to three months Gamepass. Today, one month of gold converts to one month of Gamepass. I wondered when the change happened.

I didn't do the three year top up as I did it ages ago and stupidly cancelled Gamepass later. I can't use the offer twice.

*I mean Gamepass Ultimate.

19 minutes ago, matt0 said:

It feels like in this thread you've got people saying "I like Game pass" and "I like these games."

Then you've got other people saying "you have tricked yourself in to liking these games because they are bad" or "I can't believe people are happy with this service because I am not" or "I personally don't like this niche game that is incredibly popular with fans of the genre and has won itself a wider audience, it must be shit. Also I am somehow personally offended by the whole genre."

Indeed, the whole thing is just tedious as fuck now.

1 hour ago, skondo said:

No, it's definitely changed. I decided to convert my Gold to Gamepass back in, maybe February, and I think it converted one year of gold to three months Gamepass.

Were you a Game Pass subscriber at the time? That sounds like you were, in which case you get the reduced offer. If you're not a current subscriber, the conversion ratio is 1:1, otherwise it's 4:1.

1 hour ago, skondo said:

I didn't do the three year top up as I did it ages ago and stupidly cancelled Gamepass later. I can't use the offer twice.

You still get the conversion at 1:1, you'll just pay £11 instead of £1.

I don’t really get the “I value game pass games less.” I sort of understand it, because I felt the same about pirated games as a kid, but now I feel like that view values your money over your time. 

If I’ve decided to play a game rather than another one, I’m going to give it a fair shot like I would a game I’d bought. 

I bloody love it. I get to try all sorts of games I wouldn’t have gambled my hard-earned cash on in the past. Some of them I might only play for an hour or two, but if I genuinely like them, I’ll finish them. I don’t have to force myself to like something just because I’ve paid for it. I really can’t imagine why anyone would complain about it.

Ever since getting Game Pass I'm finishing WAY more games than before. But it's just like having a ROM collection, either you dip into the first 5 minutes of every title and are happy with that. Or you decide to focus on one game until you're done with it and then move on to the next. I've chosen the latter but it's hardly the fault of game pass itself if others choose the former.

8 hours ago, dumpster said:

This deserves its own thread. I agree wholeheartedly with every point you make. 

I mean we've had this said many times in this thread, in Steam sales threads, Humble/Epic etc. Go to the TV/film folder and I'm sure the same was said about Netflix/Amazon in the early years - ditto Spotify in the music folder. It's not a new argument and, honestly, I'm not even sure there's much more to say about it.

15 hours ago, deerokus said:

Surely the phenomenon of not valuing game pass games the same as ones you've bought is a 'you problem', not a game pass one.

It's the Gaming Gammons, everytime this comes up the example of the game they're having great fun playing instead is just some nostalgia shit, the real root problem is they're sad old fucks who don't care about modern gaming, but want to make this everyone's problem by moaning in every thread on the forum, rather than just quarantining themselves to the retro folder. If Game Pass literally just contained a romset of 90s arcade racers or whatever, all their complaints would disappear.

I've been arguing against this tendency for a while, but I'm only one person against a sea of people begging for more fucking remakes and remasters.

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I've been arguing against this tendency for a while, but I'm only one person against a sea of people begging for more fucking remakes and remasters.

😅

When you play a game you don't like more because you paid for it, that's just wasting time as well as money. I paid for Kentucky Route Zero, but I've had enough of it tbh, despite forcing myself through to chapter 4. I played more because I paid for it, but didn't enjoy it any more.

Any game can get under your skin and be the game you want to play all the time. The issue is there aren't many like that, so when you've completed those games others feel like forcing yourself through them if you're not willing to just play for fun rather than completion.

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

Gamepass is great, but Gamepass on the PC is a constantly dissapointing and frustrating mess.

For some reason since the last windows update, I can no longer play Football Manager 21, which I play pretty much daily. There are now 3 different xbox apps, as well as the microsoft store.

This happened to FM20 as well at some point, although the error was different and it wouldn't load at all whereas now the game loads but it can't recognise that I'm logged in so it crashes.

I had some kind of of account issue on PC XGP a few months ago. I tried a bunch of stuff and can't remember what worked, although it might have been resetting the Xbox app. If you find the app in Apps and Features, click on it and select Advanced Options, then scroll down to Reset. A repair will attempt to repair it without losing data, while a reset will wipe it's data and require you to log back in and stuff. It won't wipe your games. Since then I've had no issues at all.

Everyone's gonna get something different out of the Gamepass (or not), but the real strength of it for my crew is that everyone has the same games. There's no pissing about making sure everyone's been out and bought GameX anymore. A quick nudge the night before (max), and we're all set and ready to go. 

It also means that we play games that we might ordinarily not, which has turned a few fun evenings, too. Gamepass is great. 

19 hours ago, deerokus said:

Surely the phenomenon of not valuing game pass games the same as ones you've bought is a 'you problem', not a game pass one.

Yes, that's correct, as I said in my previous post, but it's still something that affects me, nonetheless (as I also said in my previous post).

Having said all that, though, I've been playing Hades a lot recently via Game Pass, and that's a game I definitely value (although I have bought it twice before), so maybe it's just dependent on the game. I still think It's a lot easier to quit a game when you don't feel like you've paid anything for it, however.

I'm not really sure how any of that make me a 'Gaming Gammon', however - I don't even like retro games, really.

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yes, that's correct, as I said in my previous post, but it's still something that affects me, nonetheless (as I also said in my previous post).

Having said all that, though, I've been playing Hades a lot recently via Game Pass, and that's a game I definitely value (although I have bought it twice before), so maybe it's just dependent on the game. I still think It's a lot easier to quit a game when you don't feel like you've paid anything for it, however.

I'm not really sure how any of that make me a 'Gaming Gammon', however - I don't even like retro games, really.

As usual Rubber Johnny with his finger on the pulse 😬 

I feel no qualms about quitting a game whether I’ve paid for it or not, I simply judge them all by what I get out of them, but I always give any I try a fair crack of the whip, so I’m not more likely to quit because it’s on Game Pass. I just completed 12 Minutes, for example, despite my initial urge to bin it, whereas earlier this year I found myself initially loving Cyberpunk but then playing it less and less until the point I was really forcing myself to play it, and then I just stopped, guess I just got bored, and I paid full whack for that. 

So I suppose my point is that it really doesn’t matter how you come across a game in relation to whether you enjoy it or not, I mean I see no real evidence for that. 

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST