Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but have you tried 12 Minutes yet? Same question to you as well, @bradigor

I think for me, it's important that MS try to shake the 'perfect for gamepass' image, which I think will be detrimental to the service in the long term, especially if they keep promoting under par games.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, they really need to start delivering some top quality games now. We've all been more than patient.

In the last month we’ve had Flight Simulator which is comfortably one of the best games I’ve ever played and a great demonstration of what all the various technologies can achieve these days, we’ve had Hades which is also in the upper echelons of game design. I enjoyed The Ascent and whilst 12 Minutes is frustrating there is also very little to compare it with, so at least it’s something new and different. And that’s just a few of them there are loads I haven’t yet played released just in the last few weeks or so, 

I mean I woke up this morning (yeah!) and found out Quake had been added to the service, fucking Quake! Right now I think Game Pass is knocking it out of the park tbh. 

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Agreed. And my free times is to rare to waste on a ‘fine’ game just because it’s ‘free’. The most fun I’ve had these last few months is the Xbox exclusive Deaths Door, but that skipped gamepass at launch because they knew it was good enough to not need to. See also Hades, etc. 

You say this (and I liked deaths door, though perhaps no more so than last stop, nowhere near as much as flight sim and hades), and mention a game that… didn’t skip gamepass at launch on Xbox?!

Game pass has had, at launch on the console, the best two indie games of the last three years. It’d be the winners of both of the last two years GOTY rllmuk awards, if people weren’t so taken by one-and-done single player games…

Totally fair point. I meant launch first on game pass. All of those were on other platforms first (pc or console) . 

and I’m sure there’s exceptions to the rule. Tots just how it feels to me at the minute. 

43 minutes ago, Stanley said:

In the last month we’ve had Flight Simulator which is comfortably one of the best games I’ve ever played and a great demonstration of what all the various technologies can achieve these days, we’ve had Hades which is also in the upper echelons of game design. I enjoyed The Ascent and whilst 12 Minutes is frustrating there is also very little to compare it with, so at least it’s something new and different. And that’s just a few of them there are loads I haven’t yet played released just in the last few weeks or so, 

I mean I woke up this morning (yeah!) and found out Quake had been added to the service, fucking Quake! Right now I think Game Pass is knocking it out of the park tbh. 

I think I probably worded my last post badly, because I agree with everything you’re saying there. What I mean is they now need to start delivering some AAA big hitters, a la Sony last gen.

I’m pretty sure it’ll come and obviously there are a few already on there, but right now Gamepass does feel like the home of smaller scale games with limited budgets, hence the ‘perfect for Gamepass’ tag a lot of them get.

Gamepass is at its best when it comes to tent pole games, Doom, Yakuza, Halo etc.

These indie games which are experimental and hyped to hell might be ok for people with loads of spare time, but when you wait to download them and then play and find out they’re utter shit, it feels like a waste of time and cheapens the service. With Hades and 12 minutes and the Ascent, I’ve spent a good amount of time in the last month, at least an hour or two in total anyway, which could’ve been spent on far better games. 

Make them all streamable, MS. Then trying them out maybe wouldn’t be so annoying. 

9 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Gamepass is at its best when it comes to tent pole games, Doom, Yakuza, Halo etc.

These indie games which are experimental and hyped to hell might be ok for people with loads of spare time, but when you wait to download them and then play and find out they’re utter shit, it feels like a waste of time and cheapens the service. With Hades and 12 minutes and the Ascent, I’ve spent a good amount of time in the last month, at least an hour or two in total anyway, which could’ve been spent on far better games. 

Make them all streamable, MS. Then trying them out maybe wouldn’t be so annoying. 

If you find a better game than Hades let me know, thanks in Advance :hat:

I love that  there seems to be a bunch of really salty people about so many games on GP being "7/10" indies :blink:...thats good, 7/10 is good! (5 is average, 6 above, 7 good, 8 great, 9 a classic of the genre, 10 truly genre/gaming defining)...unless your sole comparison is OPM, where anything less that 84% is so bad it should be buried in the desert...

This idea that MS needs to get more tentpole releases on game pass... We aren't getting more than a trickle of AAA tent pole games anywhere, on any system, on any service for the foreseable future. A combination of Covid and the AAA studios rotting out from the inside (sometimes from crunch, sometimes institutional sexual abuse scandals, sometimes just the games, and tech and expectations are getting beyond the scope of what can actually be made) is seeing to that.

Also, I personally like roguelikes, deck builders and Quake. Probably more than any of the upcoming big hitters with the possible exception of Halo Infinite. Roguelikes, deck builders and Quake are going to keep me happy for a good long while. 

Both groups are right, it’s just that game pass is more suited to a certain type of person. 

It’s clearly a great deal, I’m not arguing about that, but I have wondered if it’s that great for me. I don’t really like to play loads of games at once and while I like having all that stuff available, most of it is stuff I’ve already played if I was interested. 

Hopefully it will improve as more games come out for the new gen but right now it is all that old stuff and there’s a lot of pressure on any new day one game pass releases because of that. When they end up being average to 7/10 kind of things it’s disappointing because there are no AAA releases coming out to juxtapose that against. Those 7/10 at best game pass releases are all we’re getting in terms of new stuff. 

I think the “MS need to put out something decent” line makes sense because there’s not much Series X snazz around. The fact that the argument against that was a list of games that have been out elsewhere for ages kinda sums it up. 

I think the Series X is great - but it’s a great ‘emulator’ of last gen and before with some decent PC ports at the moment. Suits me fine, but it does need to kick into gear soon. 

50 minutes ago, skondo said:

Just upgraded to Gamepass. When did they start converting Gold to Gamepass at 1:1?

Forever. They technically don't do years of gold any more so whatever stock is out there should be finite now. Did you top up to 3 years before you converted?

15 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but have you tried 12 Minutes yet? Same question to you as well, @bradigor

I think for me, it's important that MS try to shake the 'perfect for gamepass' image, which I think will be detrimental to the service in the long term, especially if they keep promoting under par games.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, they really need to start delivering some top quality games now. We've all been more than patient.

I think you’re probably the only person in this thread who thinks they’ve had to be patient with Game Pass. 

To me, “perfect for game pass” doesn’t mean a subpar game, it means something I wouldn’t have played if it wasn’t on Game Pass and had a great time with, and there have been loads of them. 

On a slightly related note, my brother in law has bought a PS5 for his kids thinking they’d be pleased. They come over to ours and only play the Series S. They turned the PS5 on once and couldn’t care less because my digital and PS+ collection just doesn’t match Game Pass. I’m trying to convince him to take the PS5 back or sell it and get them a Series S and Game Pass. 

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think you’re probably the only person in this thread who thinks they’ve had to be patient with Game Pass. 

To me, “perfect for game pass” doesn’t mean a subpar game, it means something I wouldn’t have played if it wasn’t on Game Pass and had a great time with, and there have been loads of them. 

On a slightly related note, my brother in law has bought a PS5 for his kids thinking they’d be pleased. They come over to ours and only play the Series S. They turned the PS5 on once and couldn’t care less because my digital and PS+ collection just doesn’t match Game Pass. I’m trying to convince him to take the PS5 back or sell it and get them a Series S and Game Pass. 

He could always get PS Now, often overlooked but it has a pretty good selection, and much bigger than Gamepass. 

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST