Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

14 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Am I right in thinking Stardew Valley has split-screen co-op these days? Does it work well?

The PS4 one certainly does - my kids have been obsessed with it for months. Also opens up some cheeky item duplication glitches that can bypass some of the more laborious opening hours if you want :)

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I dunno, is it deliberate? Maybe. I suppose it depends on your attitude, whether the whole grandiose Greek gods stuff applied to an isometric hack and slash seems pretentious or not but their other games have a similar tone of trying to make out they're more than what they are so maybe I just went into it with that mindset. I just found it all very repetitive, despite the different weapons and systems.

Does this make God of War was pretentious? As in the original, not the pretentious (and fantastic) PS4 one. 

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

On the plus side you can use the remaining time to look up that phrase and then visit the misconceptions thread in off topic.

Merriam Webster reckons I'm ok, so as you were :) Unless I'm being dinged for champing VS chomping.

16 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It’s just a Shame about the fisher price rumble in these Xbox controllers.

What gives with this? Some games have great rumble, like Halo 5, but most are terrible. Xbox Series controllers are obviously capable of rumble, and it’s not like developers are ignoring it or forgetting to implement it - they do, it’s just really wet and inert. I have no idea why. 

6 hours ago, Pockets said:

I dunno, is it deliberate? Maybe. I suppose it depends on your attitude, whether the whole grandiose Greek gods stuff applied to an isometric hack and slash seems pretentious or not but their other games have a similar tone of trying to make out they're more than what they are so maybe I just went into it with that mindset. I just found it all very repetitive, despite the different weapons and systems.

None of what you are saying is explaining why it might be pretentious. In the politest possible way, I don’t think you understand what it means. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

What gives with this? Some games have great rumble, like Halo 5, but most are terrible. Xbox Series controllers are obviously capable of rumble, and it’s not like developers are ignoring it or forgetting to implement it - they do, it’s just really wet and inert. I have no idea why. 

preserving battery?

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

preserving battery?

I just find the old fashioned rumble is distracting and sometimes it feels disconnected from what your actually doing because it’s not entirely responsive.

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

Merriam Webster reckons I'm ok, so as you were :) Unless I'm being dinged for champing VS chomping.

You are. An American dictionary giving up and "allowing" the wrong word doesn't make it the right word.

35 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You are. An American dictionary giving up and "allowing" the wrong word doesn't make it the right word.

Given that champing and chomping are near-synonyms, this is an impressively pedantic take, and I say that as someone who is deeply pedantic. It's hardly like those cases where the adaptation renders an idiom frustratingly illogical ("I could care less"), or undermines a word's purpose ("literally" used to mean figuratively).

28 minutes ago, Radish said:

Pretty sure Stephen Fry would like a word with anyone correcting someone for saying chomping instead of champing. 

He’s literally chomping at the bit to have a word. Is language correct through use? The proof is in the pudding, clearly. 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

None of what you are saying is explaining why it might be pretentious. In the politest possible way, I don’t think you understand what it means. 

I've got a nephew who did English at university and suddenly started chatting to everyone about The Ballad of Reading Gaol (with a hard G) like some sort of scholar. Someone ruined it by explaining the word gaol to him. I know what pretentious means. Applying layers of Greek mythology to your basic hack and slash game and adding an incredibly pompous voiceover in an attempt to make it seem more than it is is pretentious. 

I'm not above believing I could be wrong so I did check - "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed." That's exactly what I thought and what I'm accusing the game of. It doesn't make it a bad game of course, if you like repetitive hack and slash gameplay I'm sure it's great.

It’s not so much the use of the Greek stuff that grates, it’s the way they do it, like it’s to be taken seriously or something. Which I’m guessing it’s not, but they don’t get it right. 

15 minutes ago, Pockets said:

It’s not so much the use of the Greek stuff that grates, it’s the way they do it, like it’s to be taken seriously or something. Which I’m guessing it’s not, but they don’t get it right. 

It's all done with a heavy layer of sarcasm, though. It's not there to be taken at face value. Yeah there are characters acting mighty and self important but Zagreus literally spends the whole game going "oh fuck all of these wankers I'm out of here." 

That's sort of the point of the thing. 

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It's all done with a heavy layer of sarcasm, though. It's not there to be taken at face value. Yeah there are characters acting mighty and self important but Zagreus literally spends the whole game going "oh fuck all of these wankers I'm out of here." 

That's sort of the point of the thing. 

Fair enough. I did play it for a few hours but perhaps not long enough for that to be as apparent as it might become after more time.

2 hours ago, Gabzy said:

Started and completed Boyfriend Dungeon yesterday. It’s really good fun!

How long is it? I've got far too many games I wanna play these days but if it's sweet and short I might give it a go this weekend. 

12 minutes ago, Rayn said:

How long is it? I've got far too many games I wanna play these days but if it's sweet and short I might give it a go this weekend. 

It is, I finished it in just over 6 hours. The dungeon side of it is pretty basic but the stories and writing are very good and entertaining.

56 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I've got a nephew who did English at university and suddenly started chatting to everyone about The Ballad of Reading Gaol (with a hard G) like some sort of scholar. Someone ruined it by explaining the word gaol to him. I know what pretentious means. Applying layers of Greek mythology to your basic hack and slash game and adding an incredibly pompous voiceover in an attempt to make it seem more than it is is pretentious. 

I'm not above believing I could be wrong so I did check - "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed." That's exactly what I thought and what I'm accusing the game of. It doesn't make it a bad game of course, if you like repetitive hack and slash gameplay I'm sure it's great.

It’s not attempting to affect greater importance or merit though, if anything the subject is treated with great irreverence - that’s Zagreus’ whole schtick really. But I don’t see why ‘a basic hack n slash’ game shouldn’t dip into Greek mythology, or treat it for comic effect. 

And whilst you might find the game

play basic it isn’t made without intelligence, and the whole way the script and setting ties into is great, it’s not just an afterthought, clearly the two have been woven together to create some whole, in my humble opinion anyway. 

Just now, Stanley said:

It’s not attempting to affect greater importance or merit though, if anything the subject is treated with great irreverence - that’s Zagreus’ whole schtick really. But I see don’t why ‘a basic hack n slash’ game shouldn’t dip into Greek mythology, or treat it for comic effect. 

And whilst you might find the game

play basic it isn’t made without intelligence, and the whole way the script and setting ties into is great, it’s not just an afterthought, clearly the two have been woven together to create some whole, in my humble opinion anyway. 

Thats fine, I’m not trying to convince anyone else to not like it. Just saying I didn’t as a counterpoint to all the praise. Not much point in me saying that I suppose but then not much point to any game chat is there, just passing the time. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Always someone who has to pull their head above the parrot pit.

It's a mute point, and frankly a bit of a damp squid.  Now if you'll excuse me, I've got an escape goat to catch.

Just now, Pockets said:

Thats fine, I’m not trying to convince anyone else to not like it. Just saying I didn’t as a counterpoint to all the praise. Not much point in me saying that I suppose but then not much point to any game chat is there, just passing the time. 

Oh of course, you can’t force yourself to enjoy it if you’re not just because everyone is telling you how great it is, I just don’t think it’s pretentious, or at least I question why you think it is, but we’re going over the same ground now 🤷‍♂️

Game Pass is ridiculous at the moment. 

I’ve still got The Last Stop to finish, as well as trying not to fall off the track so much in Art of Rally, then there is Lumines and Katamari Damacy plus Hades which I’ve never played before and that’s not to mention trying to get my flaps right in MS Flight Simulator. 

So many other games that I’ve not even downloaded yet. I need a time machine to play them all. 

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST