IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

You can't really go wrong with either Dead Cells or Hades. They're both tight and satisfying mechanically. There's more weapon variety and map variety with Dead Cells (up to a point), but Hades is the absolute pinnacle of the genre for me.  Everything works together to make such a complete experience in Hades and runs still felt fresh and unique 100 in, whereas Dead Cells started to feel a little samey after a while.  Runs are significantly longer, or at least seem that way.

I just realised I don't know where I'm going with this post but, in conclusion, both games are excellent. However, Hades will probably change the genre and I predict we'll be seeing a bunch of "Hades-likes" soon enough.

The Superior Popo has a nice ring to it. 

Nah, if anything, playing Hades has made me want to get back into Dead Cells. The default button layout in Switch throws me every time, I’m not instinctively sure what would work better for me though. 

27 minutes ago, Strafe said:

How does it change the genre? I haven't played many rouge likes (lights?) so I don't actually know. Structurally it seems similar to the superior @Popo Dead Cells to me.

The way its narrative and mechanics directly feed into eachother. Story has never been at the forefront of these kinds of games (at least, not in the same way).

That, and the overall quality and reception of the game, causing great critical and financial success.  Imitation will surely follow.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

The Superior Popo has a nice ring to it. 

Nah, if anything, playing Hades has made me want to get back into Dead Cells. The default button layout in Switch throws me every time, I’m not instinctively sure what would work better for me though. 

I think I remapped traps etc to the shoulder buttons which was way better than whatever the default was.

14 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Really loving Hades and have had a lot of fun with Minecraft Dungeons recently. Is there anything else on GP in the same vein that I should have a look at? 

Anyone mentioned Enter The Gungeon? It’s a few years old but could scratch that Hades itch. 

3 hours ago, therearerules said:

I feel like I've played a lot of Hades, definitely enough to understand it, and it's confirmed one thing- I hate roguelikes. All the things I enjoy in Hades I'd enjoy more if I didn't have to repeat so many fights.

Isn't there setting where the more you die the less damage you take? For those who just like the story. At least I think that's how my daughter described it. Not sure if that's what you're after, like.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Isn't there setting where the more you die the less damage you take? For those who just like the story. At least I think that's how my daughter described it. Not sure if that's what you're after, like.

I’m not sure which setting that is, or maybe she means using various boons or keepsakes etc. 

The problem with Hades is that dying is directly linked to how the story unfolds, you could escape in half an hour probably, but you wouldn’t discover much of the story. 

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m not sure which setting that is, or maybe she means using various boons or keepsakes etc. 

The problem with Hades is that dying is directly linked to how the story unfolds, you could escape in half an hour probably, but you wouldn’t discover much of the story. 

God Mode.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

God Mode.

Is there one in Hades (I honestly don’t know whether there is) problem still is the posters complaints about ‘repeating the same fights over and over’ because that’s pretty much the game no matter how easy or difficult you find it. 

Also God mode in Hades is really not going to mean you get to easily beat the game and just enjoy the story. It’s done in a very well balanced way where each time you die your damage resistance increases by 2% (start from 20%). So each run will get incrementally a little bit easier, but not noticeably. You still have to learn the enemy patterns.

5 hours ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, but it's not the difficulty I have an issue with, just my personal preferences with the genre.

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's not on game pass, but Death's Door might be for you. Same perspective as Hades, combat has kind of a similar flow, but it's basically a Zelda game. And brilliant.

I tried A Link to the Past recently, having never played a Zelda game before. Didn't like it. So that's not the best way to recommend something. I'll give it a look, though. 

9 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I tried A Link to the Past recently, having never played a Zelda game before. Didn't like it. So that's not the best way to recommend something. I'll give it a look, though. 

I played LttP quite late on on the Game Boy Advance, and didn't take to it as much as I expected, having loved Ocarina of Time. Now that I look back on it I think I realise it could be because the sword hitting enemies felt a bit lacking in impact, considering you spend most of your time in the game taking that action. In OoT it always felt much more impactful.

Sometimes it's just the simplest reasons.

29 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

It's more metroidvania lite like. Think Dark Souls where you're constantly advancing by unlocking shortcuts allowing you to reach your goal faster should you die. Death's Door is absolutely brilliant imo, love that game. It's not near as hard as Dark Souls and just plain fun

54 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

As for the discussion, the first one is regarding a choice at the start - the game asks if you’re ok with receiving supportive texts off a “mom” character.  To a lot of people, this was a big deal.  My initial reaction, on the other hand was a bit like….c’mon….this is a bit over the top a coddling, isn’t it? It felt a bit like those tropes you get of people wanting “safe spaces” and warnings for every little thing - and I like to think I’m fairly progressive when it comes to stuff like this.  Then I thought a bit longer.  And really, a game like this, which is geared towards inclusivity, has options for multiple different gender romance combinations including non binary characters, is going to draw in LGBTQ players as a large part of its audience.  People who typically may not have a great relationship with their parents due to who they are.  I don’t think it necessary still, but I think it’s a really nice consideration for the audience it’s going for - plus the mom character is super sweet and supportive and her texts are genuinely really nice.  She has that older person type of “I don’t really get you young uns and this new stuff, but I love you and if it makes you happy that’s all that matters” vibe, I can’t totally see how some people would appreciate knowing that in advance and having the choice to opt out.

It's also about people who's Mum may have passed away and so may not want a reminder of that by receiving texts from their dead parent in a game. Not really sure why your reaction to such a simple option would be "this is over the top coddling". 

Dodgeball Academia is pretty enjoyable so far. It remains to be seen if the dodgeball itself ramps up to something more exciting, but the world and characters are endearing enough to keep me interested.

It also has a nice feature called Learner Mode where you can set it up to instantly switch between any two of the available languages at the press of a button. Pretty handy and I’ve not seen that before.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

It's also about people who's Mum may have passed away and so may not want a reminder of that by receiving texts from their dead parent in a game. Not really sure why your reaction to such a simple option would be "this is over the top coddling". 

Because they hadn't thought about it, I can absolutely see someone lucky enough to have alive, generally supportive parents thinking "Well why wouldn't you...."  No failure there.