IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Multiple people at Eurogamer seemed to like it. They must have been drunk or far too sympathetic to the developer because it's just one guy.

But one man teams have made brilliant stuff like Axiom Verge or Gunpoint without needing to be patronised.

I, the idiot, have gotten into Outer Wilds just a couple of days before it's leaving the service. So this is completely the wrong time for me to say this, but, it's really good. It's not an overtly scary game but it has managed to really unsettle me, again and again. Space is fucking terrifying. I have these moments where I'm looking at something bonkers going on with one of the planets (being vague for fear of spoilers) and thinking.. I can't believe that I'm seeing this.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

Dragon Quest XI

I tried playing one of the earlier Dragon Quests (8 I think) but quickly became annoyed by the random battles and binned it. This has got rid of that arachaic bit of game design so I gave this a go and I'm glad I did. It's very traditional in terms of story and mechanics, but sometimes all you want is an old tune played well on a good instrument. One caveat, the game has a bit of an odd structure, it has 3 acts, but the creidits roll after 2. I kind of wish I'd just called it a day after the credits and I'd have been completely satisfied, act 3 is more of a grindy endgame thingie, but it also has plot. I can't say too much without getting into spoilers, but I felt that it actively undid a lot of what I enjoyed about the 'main' game.

You might like DQ 8 on the 3DS. It swaps out the random encounters for the similar monsters roaming around. It's puts in on par with how good XI is. 

I had a weird one at tonight where I expected the magic of gamepass to work but it didn’t. 

I recently started using PC game pass as well and fired up slay the spire for the first time. Loved it then later in bed thought to fire it up on the cloud on my phone only to find that it clearly isn’t a cross save title. I assumed if it was on Xbox and Pc gamepass then it would be cross save. Is this ever the case?

I wasn’t annoyed as such it’s just the first tile I’ve expected something to work and it hasn’t like that!

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I had a weird one at tonight where I expected the magic of gamepass to work but it didn’t. 

I recently started using PC game pass as well and fired up slay the spire for the first time. Loved it then later in bed thought to fire it up on the cloud on my phone only to find that it clearly isn’t a cross save title. I assumed if it was on Xbox and Pc gamepass then it would be cross save. Is this ever the case?

I wasn’t annoyed as such it’s just the first tile I’ve expected something to work and it hasn’t like that!

It's on a game by game basis and sadly there aren't many that support it. Games marked as "Play Anywhere" on the PC game pass client have it. Slay the Spire infuriatingly doesn't but Monster Train does.

It's been seamless for me on the games that do support it though.

Is the GP version of Death of the Outsider supposed to be 60fps? I just fired it up and it definitely isn't. I've played 60fps games pretty much exclusively since getting the new consoles and it's massively jarring going back to 30. Is there a setting I'm missing? There's no option in the menu.

27 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Is the GP version of Death of the Outsider supposed to be 60fps? I just fired it up and it definitely isn't. I've played 60fps games pretty much exclusively since getting the new consoles and it's massively jarring going back to 30. Is there a setting I'm missing? There's no option in the menu.

https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

It's not on the fps boost list

Thanks all. I had no idea that there were options to turn on FPS boost and Auto HDR on a game by game basis. All the other boosted games I've played just magically worked.

Have to say though, you're right, DotO takes a pretty hefty hit to image quality turning on fps boost. Not just resolution but the lighting and shadow quality just seem to get shot to bits. I'd still take 60 but it's disappointing as it's a hell of a beautiful game.

31 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Thanks all. I had no idea that there were options to turn on FPS boost and Auto HDR on a game by game basis. All the other boosted games I've played just magically worked.

Have to say though, you're right, DotO takes a pretty hefty hit to image quality turning on fps boost. Not just resolution but the lighting and shadow quality just seem to get shot to bits. I'd still take 60 but it's disappointing as it's a hell of a beautiful game.

The boost is on by default if the game itself is unaffected. But if it's dropped down to lower resolutions to achieve a solid 60FPS, then it's off by default. Which makes sense.

I'm willing to bet that most if not all of the boosted games that take a resolution hit right now, will be fine on max settings on the next Xbox. Be it a midgen upgrade or the actual next generation

It seems that in the case of DotO, by default it's running the enhanced XB1X version which had some fancy textures, lighting and enhanced detail added but yeah, switching on FPS boost drops it back to that original unenhanced XBO version which is kind of weird but whatever. I have no idea how they are making these changes to each game and I imagine each title has its challenges. 

12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

It seems that in the case of DotO, by default it's running the enhanced XB1X version which had some fancy textures, lighting and enhanced detail added but yeah, switching on FPS boost drops it back to that original unenhanced XBO version which is kind of weird but whatever. I have no idea how they are making these changes to each game and I imagine each title has its challenges. 

The answer is probably very simple: running at enhanced Xbox One X settings they couldn't achieve a steady 60 FPS. Maybe there was just one part in one level that caused a massive drop, but whatever it was - it was not acceptable.

On PC you can simply turn a few settings down until you get a steady 60, but on an Xbox console you have only two options: the vanilla Bone version or the One X Enhanced version. There's no option in-between. So if the latter is too taxing, the only other option apart from no FPS boost at all, is applying the boost to the vanilla Bone version.

That's why I suspect that the midgen hardware upgrade for the Series X (if there is one) will probably be able to run games like Death of the Outsider in X Enhanced form with the FPS boost on. It's simply a matter of brute forcing it with more power.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The answer is probably very simple: running at enhanced Xbox One X settings they couldn't achieve a steady 60 FPS. Maybe there was just one part in one level that caused a massive drop, but whatever it was - it was not acceptable.

On PC you can simply turn a few settings down until you get a steady 60, but on an Xbox console you have only two options: the vanilla Bone version or the One X Enhanced version. There's no option in-between. So if the latter is too taxing, the only other option apart from no FPS boost at all, is applying the boost to the vanilla Bone version.

That's why I suspect that the midgen hardware upgrade for the Series X (if there is one) will probably be able to run games like Death of the Outsider in X Enhanced form with the FPS boost on. It's simply a matter of brute forcing it with more power.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the binary nature of the system-level witchcraftery that MS are using for these boosted titles. It's presumably a binary approach to each game, either it works flawlessly at 60 or it doesn't. The Series X could absolutely run the One X enhanced version at, or at least very close, to 4K/60 but not without a developer patch which is time and money that doesn't make sense for older games.

Either way, it doesn't detract from the the fact that I'm still fucking drowning in amazing games from GP and currently playing Dishonored 1 for the first time and that has absolutely no fucking excuse for looking as amazing as it does for an 8 year old game. I know it has a facelift too but man, the art and design of the world is incredible and looks fresh as a daisy. I really hope they can get D2 working nicely at 60.

1 minute ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the binary nature of the system-level witchcraftery that MS are using for these boosted titles. It's presumably a binary approach to each game, either it works flawlessly at 60 or it doesn't. The Series X could absolutely run the One X enhanced version at, or at least very close, to 4K/60 but not without a developer patch which is time and money that doesn't make sense for older games.

Either way, it doesn't detract from the the fact that I'm still fucking drowning in amazing games from GP and currently playing Dishonored 1 for the first time and that has absolutely no fucking excuse for looking as amazing as it does for an 8 year old game. I know it has a facelift too but man, the art and design of the world is incredible and looks fresh as a daisy. I really hope they can get D2 working nicely at 60.

Exactly. If it was a patch by the developer, then it could presumably be tweaked. Drop a setting down here, optimization something there. But Microsoft aren't touching the games themselves at all, they're unchanged and not tampered with. Instead it's some voodoo black magic that somehow gives us the best console backwards compatibility the universe has ever seen. 

It's be nice if MS funded Bethesda's games to get a proper patch along the lines of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 rather than just relying on the DirectX system-level tweak. Perhaps that'll happen with Dishonored 2, given that it's been conspicuously absent from the 60fps boost lineup.