Jump to content
IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST


Harsin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sadly, without an X enhancement I'm probably going to pass on replaying Alan Wake. I'm not playing a 540p game on a 4k TV in 2020. It looked a bit blurry at the time of its release ten years ago, I think I'd find it intolerable these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Majora said:

Sadly, without an X enhancement I'm probably going to pass on replaying Alan Wake. I'm not playing a 540p game on a 4k TV in 2020. It looked a bit blurry at the time of its release ten years ago, I think I'd find it intolerable these days.

It'll still look better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Majora said:

Sadly, without an X enhancement I'm probably going to pass on replaying Alan Wake. I'm not playing a 540p game on a 4k TV in 2020. It looked a bit blurry at the time of its release ten years ago, I think I'd find it intolerable these days.

The PC version is excellent from what I remember and runs on practically anything nowadays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is Xbox Game Pass on PC so utterly useless at downloading anything? Now I know this probably won't affect everyone, it's in beta and, well... first world problems and all that. I've got a 1GB connection and I struggle to download at any decent speed. If I enable Delivery Optimisation (Windows 10) I get 1-2mb/sec. If I disable then I'll get 6-7mb/sec (as in direct from Microsoft). Now, normally this wouldn't be an issue but add the 0x87e00013 issue into the mix with Gears 5 and the only fix seemingly uninstalling / reinstalling the bloody thing, it's driving me up the wall and really tempting me to cancel my subscription. 

 

You can see how many people are having these issues if you type in "xbox pass pc slow downloads" into any search engine. Lots more people are also having the "gears 5 0x87e00013" with the only solution being "uninstall / reinstall". 

 

...and yet, go onto Origin (I have Origin Basic Pass) and download a game on there and it gives me 115-120mb/sec where I can download a game in 5 minutes. No issues with updates and it just works. How can a company like Microsoft screw up their app so badly?! The only thing I can hope is that it's something to do with my specific PC and when I get a new gaming PC (in the next 6 or so months) it will fix itself. Other than that, it's a great service but they should have really bug tested it first and fixed the issues before releasing such a shoddy app.

 

[/rant]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've being using GP on the PC for past couple of months or so. Download speeds are slow but I assumed this was something to do with MS throttling connection speeds under the current CV situation. I just select a whole bunch of games and leave the PC on overnight to download them all. You can even start them downloading from the app on your phone. As mentioned it is in Beta and it's really cheap? In the end once you have things downloaded seems to work well enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question - I've had Xbox Live for years and years but never took the plunge on Game Pass. It seems really good value so:

 

A) is it?

B) if I got Ultimate, would my Xbox Live sub just move over, keeping the progress I've made with any Games With Gold saves?

C) is it about £10 a month?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Question - I've had Xbox Live for years and years but never took the plunge on Game Pass. It seems really good value so:

 

A) is it?

B) if I got Ultimate, would my Xbox Live sub just move over, keeping the progress I've made with any Games With Gold saves?

C) is it about £10 a month?

Whoa slow down / don’t jump!!

 

What you really need to know (and I REALLY mean really!) is that there’s a £1 trial of ultimate on your dashboard. Best of all when you take it, it then converts any Gold membership (up to the date at which it expires) into....Ultimate at no extra cost to you!! So, max your Gold membership out first (you can stack up to 36 months of it) and then take the trial and bingo bongo, up to 3 years of ultimate for £1!! Gaming deal of the decade?? I’d say so :).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah to be fair, I completely forgot about the £1 deals. At some point, my cheap sub ran out and I’ve been paying 10 quid a month and I’m not sorry.

If I had to cancel stuff to save money due to the current situation, Game Pass would probably be the last one to get rid of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

Whoa slow down / don’t jump!!

 

What you really need to know (and I REALLY mean really!) is that there’s a £1 trial of ultimate on your dashboard. Best of all when you take it, it then converts any Gold membership (up to the date at which it expires) into....Ultimate at no extra cost to you!! So, max your Gold membership out first (you can stack up to 36 months of it) and then take the trial and bingo bongo, up to 3 years of ultimate for £1!! Gaming deal of the decade?? I’d say so :).  

Man, I really hope @Boothjan read this before he excitedly jumped the gun. Note that this is a ONE TIME DEAL. If you're already subscribed to Ultimate or you've been subscribed in the past, you can't use this deal. So STOCK UP ON LIVE GOLD FIRST, because once you convert, that's it.*

 

Also note that Ultimate includes Gold, so that's all the sub you need. And there's no such thing as different games or saves for different subscription tiers, nothing changes in that regard.

 

It's a steal, you'll have all of the games for three years!!! It will save you so much money. Do it!

 

*Although you can of course keep topping up with cheap Ultimate codes, they go on sale regularly - 6 months at 50% off and the like. You'll never ever need to pay full price for the subscription if you keep topping up during sales. (Three years max of course)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So even at full cost it's pretty much 3 full price games per year, and you get your Live sub included with that. 

 

Why haven't I taken the plunge before now? 

 

Any recommendations aside from the well known titles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kids and I have been playing a fair bit of World War Z.  Basically Left 4 Dead but with a shit load more zombies.  Excellent co-op game I thought.   Probably gets samey after a week.

 

Play Outer Wilds.  I loved it.   Puzzle solving through a solar system.  Each planet has a story and puzzles to unravel.

 

I'm also now playing through The Outer Wolds.  Was getting a bit tired of it and then I found some weapons at level 400 which made things easir. Then I found a level 1000 light machine gun.  Feels good to mow down the larger enemies I sneaked around previously.  Story is really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was happy to buy Gold until 2022 for the £1 conversion, but there's no way I'd pay £11pm for it. It's hard to shake the feeling that Microsoft are gonna follow Sony's journey from PS+ to PS- next gen, and with that in mind I paid £130 for a Digital S purely for this offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Escaped said:

I was happy to buy Gold until 2022 for the £1 conversion, but there's no way I'd pay £11pm for it. It's hard to shake the feeling that Microsoft are gonna follow Sony's journey from PS+ to PS- next gen, and with that in mind I paid £130 for a Digital S purely for this offer.


So far it’s pretty easy to pick up 3 month + 3 month free passes every so often, even without arbitrage from buying cheap gold subs from other countries. How it evolves will be the interesting question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that is the question. It can rise in price and still be good value for most people here, but they've advertised £10.99 £1! for so long they've cornered themselves for now.

 

They've got me, sure, but I plan to buy a PS5 and not an SX at the minute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

So even at full cost it's pretty much 3 full price games per year, and you get your Live sub included with that. 

 

Why haven't I taken the plunge before now? 

 

Any recommendations aside from the well known titles?

 

 

Not a bad list to start with, although leave Kingdom Hearts 3.

 

Lately I've completed Ace Combat 7 (which is absolutely ace, definitely play that), completed The Gardens Between (also well worth a play - indie puzzler) and I'm now playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which I'm really enjoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, AfromB said:

I’ve just had a quick go on Cities Skylines. It seems a little too heavy on the micromanaging in style for my tastes. Is there anything similar but a bit more lightweight?

 

Minecraft*. Build your own city. ;)

 

*Not sure if it's on Game Pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2020 at 23:25, Escaped said:

I was happy to buy Gold until 2022 for the £1 conversion, but there's no way I'd pay £11pm for it. It's hard to shake the feeling that Microsoft are gonna follow Sony's journey from PS+ to PS- next gen, and with that in mind I paid £130 for a Digital S purely for this offer.

Yeah but don't forget to use Microsoft Rewards and earn points for browsing and any digital purchases you do make. They nearly always have Ultimate 3 month subs as one of the redemption rewards. It all helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AfromB said:

I’ve just had a quick go on Cities Skylines. It seems a little too heavy on the micromanaging in style for my tastes. Is there anything similar but a bit more lightweight?

 

It's actually less so than the later EA ones.

 

2 possible options though, The original Sim City on the SNES is the best version of that and the mobiles have a Sim City clone called Pocket City that's rather nice.

 

On console, it's not quite the same thing but take a look at Project Highrise, essentially a love letter to another Maxis game, Sim Tower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.