rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Thimbleweed Park

header.jpg?t=1490378534

https://thimbleweedpark.com/

Welcome to Thimbleweed Park. Population: 80 nutcases. 

A haunted hotel, an abandoned circus, a burnt-out pillow factory, a dead body pixelating under the bridge, toilets that run on vacuum tubes... you’ve never visited a place like this before. 

Five people with nothing in common have been drawn to this rundown, forgotten town. They don’t know it yet, but they are all deeply connected. And they’re being watched.

...Who is Agent Ray really working for and will she get what they want?
...What does Junior Agent Reyes know about a 20 year old factory fire that he’s not saying?
...Will the ghost, Franklin, get to speak to his daughter again?
...Will Ransome the *Beeping* Clown ever become a decent human being?
...Will aspiring game developer Delores abandon her dreams and stick by her family?
...And most importantly: how come no one cares about that dead body?

By the end of a long, strange night in Thimbleweed Park, all of this will be answered -- and you’ll question everything you thought you knew.

In a town like Thimbleweed Park, a dead body is the least of your problems.

Key Features:

-From Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, creators of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion.

-A neo-noir mystery set in 1987.

-5 playable characters who can work together… or get on each other’s nerves.

-Not a walking simulator!

-Satisfying puzzles intertwined with a twisty-turny story that will stay with you.

-A vast, bizarre world to explore at your own pace.

-A joke every 2 minutes... guaranteed!*

-Casual and Hard modes with varied difficulty.

-English voices with English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish subtitles.

*Not a guarantee.

- Release date confirmed today for all four formats as the 30th of March. [PC, Mac, Xbox One, Linux] An iOS version is coming a few months later.

• Upvote 3

Can't think of a game I've been looking forward to as much since.. well HL2 I suppose.

It's going to be glorious. PC version for me, surely the only sane way to play such a marvel.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait for this. Will probably get it at the weekend.

Grabbed the Adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizza Boy in a recent Humble Bundle. It's short, and not too taxing, but a really nice (and good looking) love letter to the Lucasarts games.

It seems almost churlish, but I would be all over this if it didn't have the early Lucasarts big-head aesthetic; I'd much prefer it if it had the Monkey Island / Fate of Atlantis style, rather than the Zak Mckracken / Maniac Mansion style. As it is, I don't really care. I guess that's the thing about nostalgia - if you don't have any personal attachment to a particular style, then it's going to leave you cold.

• Upvote 2

I have also had my eye on this since it was announced. It's been my second most wanted game after Cyberpunk for ages, and I've been keep a steam giftcard specially for it. Got a day off to myself on Sunday, going to get up early and get stuck into it. The graphics just hit all my nostalgia feels the right way.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

When is the Switch version out?

They are thinking about it.

Just sunk an hour in and.... its actually pretty good. Really well run and some good jokes right off the bat about Lucasarts.

12 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just sunk an hour in and.... its actually pretty good.

You sound like you're surprised! I can't think of another small publisher game which has been nailed on throughout its development to totally nail its remit.

I only had 20 mins or so on it as had other things to do last night , it feels more like the pre-monkey Island stuff to me and it's a bit of a shock to go back to the old style verb + object way of playing but it looks lovely in a modern pixel art way. 

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Gilbert's also been trying to get the rights to Monkey Island back so he can do a proper 3rd game but.... they have been ignoring him on it since 2015.

That would be a dream come true.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Gilbert's also been trying to get the rights to Monkey Island back so he can do a proper 3rd game but.... they have been ignoring him on it since 2015.

I can't seem him ever getting them sadly. :( We're talking about Disney here, the tightest rooting tooting company in the West.

The only possability perhaps would be some sort of profit sharing but vastly in the favour of Disney to point of slave labour.

A 3rd Monkey title would be right up there with Turrican 3 for me.

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

I can't seem him ever getting them sadly. :( We're talking about Disney here, the tightest rooting tooting company in the West.

The only possability perhaps would be some sort of profit sharing but vastly in the favour of Disney to point of slave labour.

In this case though Disney have already started selling off some other older IPs which is what I think prompted him to start pestering them. He mentioned it in the podcast ages back and how companies that huge are really slow to get anything done legally. Granted I haven't heard anything since but he could have come a lot further with any luck. He did say at the time he didn't like the MI remakes so we wouldn't end up with anything like that.

• Upvote 1

Well, I wouldn't hold your breath! ;) But no one wants a true Monkey 3 than me so I hope Disney relent. Gilbert basically IS the franchise so without him, together with a fair amount of autonomy, they can't grow it regardless.

Meh adventure game 101, look around 1st room, examine inventory, walk off screen - click bait opinion piece since the game is reviewing well. 

There's a lot of things you can accuse John Walker of, but clickbaity opinions on adventure games isn't one of them. He knows his adventure gaming onions: he was a champion of the brilliant The Longest Journey back in the day, has praised the fantastic adventures put out by Wadjet Eye games since the very start, recognised the flaws of Broken Age, and recognises the Daedalic adventure games as being piles of excrement they really are.

He's unusual in that he's a relatively mainstream critic who actually cares about adventure games, and in that he's an actual critic of adventure games: most enthusiast sites are incredibly forgiving of pretty much any point and click adventure that crosses their paths, while the mainstream critics mostly don't have enough familiarity with the genre to actually offer any meaningful critique.

So when he criticises a game that's gone out of its way to evoke memories of classic adventures through its use of a traditional verb-noun interaction system only to then completely ignore the verbs in favour of a more modern context-based system, thus showing up those verbs as nothing more than superficial; and when he comments on the reactions to objects being bland, uninformative and/or blatant clue givers then I'm inclined to take those criticisms seriously. Even he acknowledges that these are minor issues, but the frustration of seeing a genre you love stagnate, repeating the same design flaws over and over - that's an easy thing for me to sympathise with. 

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

turrican3amiga.thumb.jpg.6d97d4065ee030fc1c6ac072a6f0f9d8.jpg

?

(Yes, I know it's really just Mega Turrican, Amiga Edition, but it is still called Turrican 3. Now, a Turrican IV, that I could get behind)

• Upvote 3

I played an hour yesterday. Got Sunday and Monday to myself so I'm going to get wired into it. So far it's exactly like the old lucasarts games but even more meta.

As for monkey island, remember Disney also owns pirates of the Caribbean which had a long running copyright issue with MI, so don't hold your breath for them giving it up.