IGNORED

Do your other halves game ?

CovisGod

My girlfriend doesn't play them much, but had a Wii years ago (before we met) which she used to play and complete Zelda, of all things. Quite a surprising blip for someone who doesn't really play games, but one that makes me very happy. She plays the occasional puzzle game these days (she loves Meteos) and I've got her to play Overcooked with me, but I can't see her getting back into them in a big way, despite my efforts to get her playing things like the Telltale games. I'll keep working on it though, don't you worry...

My GF loves Zelda, but is fairly crap at games and just enjoys wandering around.

But on the very rare occasions she comes to mine, she actually enjoys watching me play single player games - "Shall we watch a film?" "Nah - put on Uncharted 4 - I want to see what happens next, it's awesome!"  I think that's quite cool.  She's no interest in having a go herself.

I got a Wii U for my kids (heh!) at Christmas 2015 and she gave me a bit towards it saying she expects to play some Zelda when it comes out.  So she's fairly excited about that - she might even come over to mine for a change once I get it!  And she'll join in when we play Wii Party U or some other such game with the children.

She's got a DS, a Wii and my old 360 but I don't think she plays on them much.  Nor is she bothered about watching my endless supply of totally amazing kills on BF1 - but at the end of the day, I'm not that fussed about watching video clips of her cats - that's compromise, love.

We don't live together but even if we did, I don't think she'd ever impinge on my gaming time.

20 hours ago, Triple A said:

She liked DS Zoo Keeper and was impressed with the Vive for half an hour, but other than that it's generally a flat nope. Boo. I may peddle Gone Home and Her Story and see how that goes.

Oh - and she liked some MegaDrive platformers back in the day and namechecks Sonic every now and again. I may try and get her on Sonic Mania when that comes out.

My wifes gaming is limited to about 4 games (other than mobile ones)

Dynasty Warriors

Mario Kart

Tekken (she's one of those button basher types)

Singstar

Other than that she's not really that interested in it at all. She's was quite happy to sit and watch me play Until Dawn and help decide on some of the options but she wasn't interested in actually playing it. Sometimes she gets interested in a story like when I played Gone Home, but again no desire to actually play it.

I think I might force her to play P.T. one night though :twisted:

My wife used to play Animal Crossing a lot on the Cube but her most played games ever were SSX and SSX Tricky - she was remarkably competitive at it and often scored much higher than me. Since I switches to Microsoft,  we haven't really found much on the X-Bro to play together but have started playing Rocket League as a family and I think i'll get that Overcooked game to try. 

My girlfriend has a 3DS and plays crosswords, mah-jong tiles, solitaire card games and the like. Apart from that she really has no interest in games whatsoever. I did try and ease her into playing something together, Day of The Tentacle remake in this regard, but it wasn't really working. I don't play games when she's at mine but she knows games are one of my passtimes and is generally positive about it.

I'm seriously considering finding some fun arcade games to play 2-player on the Raspberry Pi, nothing too hardcore. Not going to be too surprised if it doesn't work though.

My previous girlfriend was a bit more up for trying games out. At one point she even had a go at DoDonPachi Resurrection on the 360, she even had a second go! She also tried out Team Fortress 2. I gave her a PS2 and she got a few pick-up-and-play games like Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast, but I'm led to believe she pretty much gave up on the games when we split up. She used to ask me to play certain games and would watch. Most memorably Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. She'd act as a spotter, "that guy is climbing out of the window!". She did a pretty good Trader impression too.

My wife plays on occasion, but nowhere near my level. She's mainly playing Fallout Shelter just now and a few other free to play games on her iPhone. She likes those cooking games like Cafe World as well for some reason. On console and PC she's had some eclectic choices: Etrian Odyssey, Pokémon, Survivor Squad, Prison Architect and Oblivion are the ones I recall. She even tried Dota once but was too scared to play anyone but the bots.

When she does pick up a game she tends to get a bit obsessive about it and try to min max it to varying degrees of success. She's one to read the wikis on how to complete it best, which is the complete opposite of me.

Unfortunately, she does get motion sickness in first-person and some third-person games. As much as she wanted to get through Oblivion, she couldn't play it for long. That rules her out watching a lot of the games I play. Apart from FPS games she does like to watch me play on occasion but I don't think she's ever stuck with me through a whole game. She doesn't mind watching Giant Bomb, though, so she gets some knowledge through their Quick Looks, too.

Been with my Mrs for 8 years -ish, she wasn't a gamer or into gaming when we met but had a gameboy as a kid and brother with a Playstation, so had enjoyed it but fell away after a while as many do. She would happily watch me play and slowly over the years get involved more and more, in time she picked up her own PS3 after co-op Diablo 3 sessions we had on mine. She's since platinum'd diablo 3 on PS3, has since got a ps4 and vita of her own and has completed persona 3 twice over, platinum'd Diablo Reaper of Souls, Persona 4 and Gravity Rush (PS4 AND Vita) she's actually way more of a completionist then me. 

She struggles with 1st or 3rd person camera control even after several years of trying. It's highlighted for me how much controls are a huge barrier for adults to get into gaming, I constantly struggle to recommend games for her to try as a huge amount has that second stick camera control. There has been improvement, not walking forward while staring at the floor or ceiling quite so much! Without her high levels of determination to improve, i'm sure she would of given up long ago. 

• 7 months later...

Bump !

Me and the Mrs seem to have found the best middle ground with regards to me gaming and still spending time together.....We’ve just put two TVs in the living room, I can play my games, she can watch telly and we can still chat.

As you can see in the pic, the telly on the left is “Hers”, the one to the right of the baby is mine and has my Xbox, PC And Switch plugged into it. When we have friends over they find it hilarious but it seems to work for us, and I don’t end up feeling bad about gaming sessions with her there twiddling her thumbs.

Do a lot of you guys have a dedicated gaming room and spend a lot of time away for the other half or any arguments over who’s got the telly ?

40AAFF90-C231-41F2-8885-4712FF526AF8.jpeg

I know a couple who are into gaming AND cosplay together - they once went to a convention dressed up as Ash and Misty.

Interesting layout there Covis... so your wife can watch everything -  the TV, you gaming and playing with the baby, whilst you have a spot in the corner with your back to the TV and your baby. No fair!

My partner doesn't play video games not because she thinks they're silly or childish but because she feels she can't get the hang of controllers and doesn't want to put the time in. She's quite happy to sit next to me and read while I game and more importantly she does like to play board and card games with me and our friends.

5 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Bump !

Me and the Mrs seem to have found the best middle ground with regards to me gaming and still spending time together.....We’ve just put two TVs in the living room, I can play my games, she can watch telly and we can still chat.

As you can see in the pic, the telly on the left is “Hers”, the one to the right of the baby is mine and has my Xbox, PC And Switch plugged into it. When we have friends over they find it hilarious but it seems to work for us, and I don’t end up feeling bad about gaming sessions with her there twiddling her thumbs.

Do a lot of you guys have a dedicated gaming room and spend a lot of time away for the other half or any arguments over who’s got the telly ?

We have a few options - the lounge has a PS4 and Xbone but we have another Xbone in the playroom too. I moved it there from the nook in the bedroom so the kids could use it too but they aren’t that bothered. There’s a GameCube in there too and a 360 was promoted to the nook in the bedroom.

My other half doesn’t game. The nearest we got was her not minding me playing Telltales Walking Dead while she was working in front of the TV was a decent story.

She had a SNES as a kid which she talks fondly about so I’ve got her a mini for Christmas. Let’s see how we get on with that.

My girlfriend pretty much just plays The Sims, and adventure games on the iPad (likes point and click adventures). She is pretty  curious about games though , particularly if they have a good story or are particularly pretty, and is more than happy to watch me play. She thought Horizon was cool for instance, and loved Firewatch. 

In the main though, she’s not a fan due to the levels of violence - I think she’d like to play more if more games were pure story games

On 27/02/2017 at 17:43, Triple A said:

She liked DS Zoo Keeper and was impressed with the Vive for half an hour, but other than that it's generally a flat nope. Boo. I may peddle Gone Home and Her Story and see how that goes.

Turns out my GF used to play Sonic on the MegaDrive, so I got her onto Sonic Mania and she liked that quite a bit.

This was after playing two player Super Mario World on the SNES Mini, and her not getting on too well with the controls (sprinting while doing running jumps, precision needed with launch points and landings etc.). Watching her play gave me additional appreciation for usability in design (or not as the case may be).

On and off but increasingly less and less.  She enjoys playing socially still though.  We had a retro game night on Friday with about 7 of us and she joined in with Goldeneye, Mashed and Hidden In Plain Sight (yes I know it's not retro).  She used to love games and we've completed a few together (REmake, N+, Bujingai).  She still likes watching, depending on the game and keeps nagging me to finish Zelda BOTW.

Mine enjoys watching me playing them whilst doing something else herself (painting/working etc). She mainly plays mobile games but does get excited about a handful of console games and plays through them such as TombRaider and SteamDig. Actually, she played through the original SteamDig. I didn't play it myself but was curious about how she was so hooked on it back then so I purchased SteamDig2 at launch and was soon hooked on it. I was soon like 'Oh I see..." 

It's nice if your partner can introduce you to new games that you would have otherwise ignored.

On 28/10/2017 at 10:26, CovisGod said:

Bump !

I'm lucky enough to have my own study/man room, so I tend to get an hour each night in there, either gaming or playing guitar, or both, while the wife's off watching shite on the TV in the front room. She doesn't seem to mind, as long as we have dinner together and spend some time talking or watching a TV programme before I retire for the evening. Similar to you, whenever we have other couples round they always think it's funny that I have my man cave and that I leave her alone every evening to play videogames. The women do, at least - I can always tell that the blokes are green with silent envy when I show them my 4k TV, PS4 Pro, foot stool and super comfy armchair, while they have to spend their evenings watching Celebrity Dating, or some such bollocks.

I can honestly say that there's little I enjoy more than settling in for a sesh on a Friday evening with a few beers, the wife downstairs, happily watching TV, safe in the knowledge that I don't have to get up early the next day and can stay up till 2 am playing, even if I am inevitably knackered. I look forward to it all week. Of course, once we have kids, which is increasingly on the cards, I expect my alone time will become severely limited.

On 28/10/2017 at 10:26, CovisGod said:

Bump !

My setup is much the same, even down the jumparoo for the baby.

When I used to play on TV it caused issues, now I've got my desk in the corner where I work and have my consoles plugged in.

She spends more time gaming than me, but only one game for years and years (actually longer than we've been together.) Don't know how to check how many hours she has put into it but I am guessing it must be in the thousands. 

(There aren't many games which I have ever pushed past 200-ish hours in this gen - Fallout 4, Bloodbourne, Dark Souls 3, GTA V(maybe). I am sure she has played Hay Day more than I have played all of those combined). 

Aside from that she sometimes downloads and plays some random iOS game for an hour or so then forgets about it. And for the most part she's happy to watch me playing whatever I feel like playing. Though she does moan if she feels I've been doing it for too long. 

Baby likes to sit and watch me play something on the TV too. Hoping that at 3 months she's too young for me to be giving her bad habits yet.