Middle Earth: Shadow of War

I'm playing this at the moment too (also Act 2). The story is absolute garbage but the action is so addictive, I spent the whole of last week trying to clear out just one district, I'm going to be playing it forever at this rate.

I need to try and get back into this. Loved and completed the first game 3 times now but keep bouncing off this one. 
Can any PC gamers advise if the 4k texture pack is worth downloading, or is it a waste of ssd space and system resources?! 3070FE so I’ll be playing with as many bells and whistles as possible at 60fps. 

This is like playing an action film* sometimes, especially with the fort takeovers. Did the second one yesterday, (probably slightly underlevelled) and despite capturing the first three outer points without any trouble the boss was kicking my (and my bodyguard's!) arse due to a combination of poisoning and various immunities.

I had a few close call dying breath QTEs and just as I was about to die one of my dominated captains steams in and lops off his head. Fucking brilliant. Needless to say he earned his place as the new overlord! 

*Edit: and not in a pre-scripted way like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, nothing against those games per se.

2 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

This is like playing an action film* sometimes, especially with the fort takeovers. Did the second one yesterday, (probably slightly underlevelled) and despite capturing the first three outer points without any trouble the boss was kicking my (and my bodyguard's!) arse due to a combination of poisoning and various immunities.

I had a few close call dying breath QTEs and just as I was about to die one of my dominated captains steams in and lops off his head. Fucking brilliant. Needless to say he earned his place as the new overlord! 

*Edit: and not in a pre-scripted way like Uncharted or Tomb Raider, nothing against those games per se.

Yeah it’s really, really good - my initial observations about it feeling dated now feel slightly embarrassing as it’s head and shoulders above any other game in this type of genre, the nemesis system is just brilliant. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished. The story finally made a bit of sense towards the end, up until that part it was just doing random missions for no clear reason. (The Bruz substories were good fun though - I tracked him down and re-dominated him just to punish him even more!)

Have to admit I lost interest towards the end of the Shadow Wars and watched the 'proper' ending on YouTube. I was killed in one of the final sieges and didn't realise you have to re-do all of the 'draw out by doing Y' missions to disable the defences again, fuck that. The sieges were fun but grinding them one after the other quickly became boring.

Overall though a thoroughly enjoyable game to play, if not one where the narrative will live long in the memory.

I've gone back to this after giving up fairly early on initially, mostly based on @Stanley's posting about it in the GP thread. I cleared my save (which was only about 5 hours in) and started again as I knew I wouldn't remember what the hell is going on. I got a lot more enjoyment out of it the second time and made my way through to Act 2 and have got to the point where it all opens up again. However I think I'm just getting a little fatigued with it again, and having looked at some guides online it seems like there is still a hell of lot still to do.

I really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor and there is a lot to like with this, but it's just too big for me I think. I think what really put me off was getting Epic armour at lvl 10 that has a quest to dominate a captain at lvl 20, but you can't dominate captains that have a higher level than you, so at the time I'd have needed to increase by 12 levels before I could even do the quest to allow me to raise the armour level which just seems stupid. (I have two pieces like this).