Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

And the White Palace is done. Jesus. Not sure I could manage that in a speed run, let alone Steel Soul mode! :lol:

Also found the last couple of grubs, did the Grey Mourner's quest and had to look up where the last Vessel fragment was, so I'm now up to 101%. By my reckoning, I've got the following left to do:

Spoiler

Traitor Lord

Hollow Knight

The Radiance

White Defender

Failed Champion

Soul Tyrant

Then I have to find the other half of the Kingsoul, do the Trial of the Fool and three of the Pantheon fights to get 112%. Lets see how much I can do before I give up.

On 31/08/2020 at 20:02, spanx said:

I am stuck so hard fighting the soul master. Not even getting close as he keeps feinting one of his moves and I can’t deal with it. 

An hour of smashing my head against it and I’m out. It’s just too difficult. :(

My advice is to keep on exploring, try and find some more charms/health/weapon upgrades. I bounced off him hard too at first but upgraded a bit and came back - he's still one of the harder bosses in the game because of the length of the fight but beefing yourself up does help. I also found the shell charm for protection whilst healing invaluable against bosses in general.

4 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Seen the thread popping up so I’ve gone back to this... struggling with 

Hide contents

Troupe Leader Grimm

I really want the Charm notch you get for beating him, but yeah that fight was too tough for me as well. I need to work out a good set of charms to use and then just go for it. At least the nearest bench is close by, unlike some other bosses I could mention.

16 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Seen the thread popping up so I’ve gone back to this... struggling with 

Hide contents

Troupe Leader Grimm

You can overwhelm him with superior firepower if you stack your charms right. 

Spoiler

You’ll need Abyss Shriek, Shaman Stone, spell twister & grubsong, plus anything you can spare to keep you alive for longer. Go in with full soul (if you’ve got a couple of extra vessels it makes things easier) and hit him as soon as the fight starts. This forces him to do the bullet hell attack where he’ll float up and launch a thousand fireballs.  If you can blast him with 8 or 9 Abyss Shrieks during that phase then he’ll go down.  He’s immune to nail damage during the phase so you’ll need to get soul back with grubsong and that’s also why spell twister is the way to go as opposed to soul catcher.

59 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

You can overwhelm him with superior firepower if you stack your charms right. 

Hide contents

You’ll need Abyss Shriek, Shaman Stone, spell twister & grubsong, plus anything you can spare to keep you alive for longer. Go in with full soul (if you’ve got a couple of extra vessels it makes things easier) and hit him as soon as the fight starts. This forces him to do the bullet hell attack where he’ll float up and launch a thousand fireballs.  If you can blast him with 8 or 9 Abyss Shrieks during that phase then he’ll go down.  He’s immune to nail damage during the phase so you’ll need to get soul back with grubsong and that’s also why spell twister is the way to go as opposed to soul catcher.

Will try this, thanks.

Finally managed to beat the trial of the fool yesterday, so frustrating!

More bosses down:

Spoiler

Traitor Lord

Troupe Leader Grimm

Failed Champion

Nightmare King Grimm

Hollow Knight

The Radiance

White Defender

Soul Tyrant

I followed the tactics suggested above for Grimm, mostly dodged the Traitor Lord's attacks but taking 2 damage every time I got caught hurt a lot (also my shitty platforming skills meant I always wasted Soul on healing en route every time). For the Failed Champion, I tried and failed to tank it but eventually worked out when I could get my hits in and when I needed to back off and he went down on the fourth attempt. One more Dream Boss, and I'll have enough Essence to hear what the Seer has to say for herself, but I do plan to try and beat all of them.

Got the Kingsoul as well after the Traitor Lord. So I should be aiming to beat the Hollow Knight before I get the Void Heart right?

2 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

More bosses down:

Hide contents

Got the Kingsoul as well after the Traitor Lord. So I should be aiming to beat the Hollow Knight before I get the Void Heart right?

Spoiler

Yeah, just cos they're different endings. Beat Hollow Knight then next time you load your file you'll be at the bench before and can pick up the Void Heart for the next ending/Radiance fight.

Soul Destruction

Spoiler

Nightmare King Grimm

Hollow Knight

The Radiance

White Defender

Soul Tyrant

Soul Tyrant was an arse initially, but I eventually learned that I just had to be patient during its first phase - pogo over it when it rushed across the area or attack if it teleported close to me, but otherwise to bide my time and be wary of the ground pound attack, and that other one where it floats across the screen surrounded by six fireballs.

When I finally got to its second phase, I had no idea how to avoid the near constant ground pounds so I panicked and tried to use Abyss Shriek but missed* most of them, so when it was on the ground I just flailed at it until dead. There's undoubtedly a better way of doing the second phase but that can wait until I try one of the boss rushes. For now I prevailed, so take that Soul Tyrant! 

Cheers for the advice about the Hollow Knight. I think I'm going to try and beat the remaining Dream Bosses before I take on the Hollow Knight. I know I can do them later but I want to save the last boss until the very end. 

* Isn't there a word/verb that is commonly used for a mistimed attack in gaming? I keep thinking "fluffed" but that's definitely not it. 

11 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

* Isn't there a word/verb that is commonly used for a mistimed attack in gaming? I keep thinking "fluffed" but that's definitely not it. 

In fighting games we commnly use "whiffed" in that scenario. Dunno if other genres have different terminology. 

White Palace was kicking my arse, thought I’d finish off the grub collecting and get the final charm. A couple of them in Crystal Peak are tricky but I got them, headed off to claim my prize and it turned out there’s still one left in the Royal Waterways.  :facepalm:

Decided to go into the temple to see the big man. Unlocked 

Spoiler

The ability to see my percentage completion, pleasantly surprised to see it’s already at 100%

Guide required

Spoiler

Nightmare King Grimm

Hollow Knight

The Radiance

White Defender

Grey Prince Zote

Trial of the Fool

Pantheon of the Master

Pantheon of the Sage

Pantheon of the Artist

Pantheon of the Knight

Pantheon of Hallownest

How many people here managed to get the Void Soul and to the proper ending without using a guide? 

At any rate, I'm just bumbling about aimlessly now. I had a crack at NKG and died in about ten seconds flat, so worked on filling in the remainder of the Hunter's Journal, a few more failed attempts at the Trial of the Fool then decided to have a crack at the Hollow Knight again.

I can more or less dodge its attacks apart from the one where it hovers in the middle of the arena and spews out fireballs like Grimm, but managed to kill it on the third attempt, then again with the Void Heart for the Sealed Siblings ending (I would have thought that Hornet would also have been chained up with you but nope) and then a third time to see the Radiance. 

Did zero damage on the first attempt because you can only hurt the top half/third of the body which I didn't realise, then got as far as when spikes started appearing on the floor. No health bar so no idea how close I was to winning but eh.

Listed up all the remaining parts of the game but man, I'm not sure that's even do-able. One person took 140 hours to do the final pantheon, after completing the game to 100% within 50 hours!

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

Guide required

Hide contents

Listed up all the remaining parts of the game but man, I'm not sure that's even do-able. One person took 140 hours to do the final pantheon, after completing the game to 100% within 50 hours!

If you're thinking of me, it was 45 hours to fully complete the game including all sidequests before Godmaster was released, and then 50 hours playing that to defeat the final pantheon. So a mere (!) 95 hours, overall, not 140!

Just started replaying this (although I'm quite a way through). I do think the pale ore numbers are a bit of a misstep- it's easy to get the nail upgraded twice before you combat a load of the difficult bosses, but very hard to get it upgraded 3 times.

So my girlfriend now has most of the areas, all the traversal abilities etc. She’s fighting the 3 bosses that lead to dreamers, which I guess opens the black egg. But she’s not collected any essence or upgraded her dream nail at all. What is the point of doing that? Will it lead to areas or more powers or anything?

Upgrading the Dream Nail will:

Spoiler

Give you a series of rewards, including a piece of Pale Ore that you need to upgrade your normal Nail, and a new fast travel power.

Opens up a couple of new areas, one of which (eventually) leads to an additional boss.

Be warned that one of the areas has some pretty challenging platforming!

Yep, in fact there's quite a bit of gubbins you have to do before you can finish the game 'properly'.

I got to the final final boss without a guide but yes, it took a long time of re-exploring the world and fighting multiple optional bosses. Still can't beat it mind! Also the trial of fools is, apart from the Godmaster DLC, one of the hardest challenges in the game, I wouldn't spend too much time on it if you're just looking to finish the game. Talking of the Godmaster DLC, that's one part of the game I will never even attempt to complete, although I think it's great they added it in for the hardcore and it really proves what a great combat system the game has got. 

I recently watched this very enlightening Youtube vid about the making of Hollow Knight. Definitely worth a watch if you're curious. What an achievement!

Ok so my girlfriend beat The Hollow Knight today! She got a depressing ending (1 of 5 according to the wiki), but she’s not really sure what to do next. The next ending requires the void heart which requires another charm and an upgraded dream nail, which look like they’ll take ages to get. Any advice on what to check out next? 

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Ok so my girlfriend beat The Hollow Knight today! She got a depressing ending (1 of 5 according to the wiki), but she’s not really sure what to do next. The next ending requires the void heart which requires another charm and an upgraded dream nail, which look like they’ll take ages to get. Any advice on what to check out next? 

YouTube playthroughs- there’s a great GDQ of Hollow Knight with the best ending. Either that or devote some serious time to practice.

6 hours ago, Broker said:

So much left to see!

Spoiler

If she's beaten the Hollow Knight, then she should be able to beat most of the Warrior Graves fights without too much trouble (the first and possibly easiest is in the Resting Grounds at the bottom near where the three statues of the Dreamers are. There's a ghost you can listen to and then you'll get a prompt to challenge it. After you beat it you can buy a map thing that marks the others out.

Which bosses did she beat in the end? There's quite a few optional bosses that you can go back and attempt, plus you can try upgrading your Nail fully to help you out