Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

On 07/08/2020 at 21:57, joeplus said:

In preparation for Silksong, whenever that is, I've hopped back into this. Played a fresh file and just enjoyed the heck out of it, now trying to mop up some stuff I never did. Late-game spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Finished Steel Soul mode, and got the Steel Heart achievement (100% deathless!). Currently at 105% and trying to get that to the full 112%. Some of that's Godmaster stuff which is all in the dream world (so can't actually kill you) but it means I get one shot at Trial of the Fool and The Radiance. Gulp. At least I can practice both on my normal save first.

I'm a bit taken with the idea of trying again to get really excellent at this, but I suspect I lack the patience for the truly bonkers late-game stuff like Pantheon of Hallownest with Bindings. That said, I've pretty much had my fill of exploring the world now, and boss fights hold my interest for longer, so I might just throw myself into them. They really are bloody excellent boss fights.

Had a heroic failure since this update.

Spoiler

I went into Trial of the Fool on my Steel Soul save without practicing on my main first. No idea why I did that. Had an extremely bad time - got through the airborne battle section with two masks left, but they didn't last long with those spiky frog bastards jumping about.

Having a 40+ hour save deleted does hit you rather hard. At least I got the Steel Heart achievement which is why I started it, 112% would have just been for kudos.

Back to the Hall of Gods on my main file, I think. I've still never actually finished the last two Pantheons, though I know I'll get through them with practice.

Really enjoying reading people's updates from first playthroughs too! This game has such character.

Well, having previously said these Metroidvania type things are not my bag I sort of fancied a change and saw this was on PSNow so grabbed it, and have happily sunk a couple of hours in. It’s tricky but not brutal thus far - defeated the first boss after a handful of attempts. I assume it gets a LOT harder so we’ll see if I stick with it but I must admit so far it’s winning me over. 

I started this yesterday. I like Souls but damn, this feels a lot harder to me than those games ever did. I’m really struggling to orient myself, every area looks internally very similar, so I can’t really remember where I’ve been. I bought the map markers, which help, but now I’ve got two areas open that I don’t have maps for and I hate them. I keep dying and I can’t find my way back to where I was, and now I’m losing all my coins constantly, always have the smaller soul container and can’t afford any stuff to make it easier.

I know I should probably grind easy enemies for geo so I can buy some stuff, but I can’t remember where any of the things I needed to buy are because I don’t have a fucking map. I’ve explored the crossroads and green path fully, aside from all the dead ends that I marked for when I find whatever allows me to smash downwards, a longer air dash and a wall jump, all of which I can see paths for. 

But it’s grinding on me wandering around the place with the jellyfish and the place with the balloon things that fire orange smoke downwards. They’re huge and confusing and I fucking hate not having the map. I also really don’t like the excessive distance from the benches to the bosses, and much prefer the souls method of unlocking a shortcut just before the boss to shorten the run to this where I seem to get the shortcuts as a (slightly shit) reward for beating them. 

I’ll be persevering for a bit longer because my girlfriend loves it but doesn’t want to play, but I’m tempted to watch a YouTube video or something to show me where map guy is in each area because I find it really frustrating not having it. I love the NPCs and the music and the design and I really want to see more but I’m bored of just wandering around places that confuse me dying and getting lost.

If I could offer one piece of advice @Broker it would be to give the Fog Canyon a wide berth early on, the enemies are actually quite hard to kill without dying and it’s mega-frustrating. 

If I could offer a second piece of advice I’d say to follow the in-game signs pointing the way to the City of Tears. The game by design does prefer you not to use the map overly and so offers these supplementary signs at times to help navigate. 

Wait can I read the signs? I can’t see any way to work out where they’re pointing to, I follow them sometimes but I can’t work out a pattern in their weird symbols and what I find when I follow them? Can you get to the city of tears through the crossroads or green path? Or do I need to head into mushroom place?

New area found! Also found another NPC who have me an upgrade. Sort of.

Spoiler

After finding the Soul Master, getting a sound kicking and then losing 700+ Geo to those teleporting, floating fat bastards (triggering three of them at once wasn't advisable in hindsight but I was running away from one and then things went from bad to worse), I noped out of the City of Tears and decided to go back through and explore Greenpath. 

I managed to acquire a few charms along the way, then found the Howling Cliffs and another Nailsmith who taught me a Nail Art. 

I'm not really sure where to go. I need Pale Ore to continue upgrading my Nail, but I still haven't come across it so I think I'm going to go down and explore more of Mantis Village. 

10 minutes ago, Broker said:

Wait can I read the signs? I can’t see any way to work out where they’re pointing to, I follow them sometimes but I can’t work out a pattern in their weird symbols and what I find when I follow them? Can you get to the city of tears through the crossroads or green path? Or do I need to head into mushroom place?

Mushroom place. There's more that can be said, but explore that area more and you should find out what's going on, but ask for more hints if you get stuck.

In terms of the signs, the one that looks like a cluster of white Pacman ghosts means village/city,  the ones indicating a bench should be obvious and there's also the one showing a horned head in profile which indicates that a Stagway Station is near (and those almost always have a bench in the same room).

Ok, the pac man ghosts one I was struggling with as it seemed to point to something different each time, but it leading to a new area makes sense. Is the map guy usually near the/an entrance to the area? My mind is not learning the areas by repeatedly traversing them, there’s no land marks and honestly it’s all just a series of different looking tunnels. I need a map.

Cornifer is just kind of around, he sets up shop in a different place each location - best thing to do is listen out for his humming and try to zero in on it, like auditory pathfinding rather than visual. First thing I do in a new area is basically ignore trying to figure out the layout and just keep going until I hear his familiar voice, then find a bench to save and fill in the map a little. 

And there it is. Flying enemy in the garden bit where he’s chewing on someone in the ceiling. Hard difficulty wall discovere. 

I was really enjoying it too, but I’m just not good enough at this twitch gaming :(

EDIT. How do you beat these guys with sword and shield. The big fuckers?

Ah, the Vengefly King. He basically ruined me the first few times I tackled him, but that's a kind of mini-boss fight that gives you a lot of room to move around in. For example, you can drop off the platform and hide underneath it to heal up. 

Not sure if this counts as cheesing him, but basically I jumped over him when he does his main attack and then slashed downwards. Whenever he shrieks and summons the smaller vengeflies, then try to take them out quickly but be mindful of the Vengefly King's attack since he will sometimes go off-camera and you'll have no time to move out of the way.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Ok, the pac man ghosts one I was struggling with as it seemed to point to something different each time, but it leading to a new area makes sense. Is the map guy usually near the/an entrance to the area? My mind is not learning the areas by repeatedly traversing them, there’s no land marks and honestly it’s all just a series of different looking tunnels. I need a map.

I have the same problem. Parts of the map started to stick for me eventually after the umpteenth time through an area, but in general I'm useless without both map and compass.

Btw, after defeating the Fake Knight, did you happen to discover another NPC quite near by?

Ummm, what does the fake knight look like? The lady with the needle? I’ve found a tonne of NPCs and merchants but I’m struggling to find my way back to them and can’t buy anything from the merchants because I never have any geo, having lost it and been unable to find my way back to where I died. 

Crap. That might have too intentionally vague. The first named boss you fight in the Forgotten Crossroads with the mace. When you do enough damage, he falls over and this white blob flops out and you have to smack that a few times then repeat. That boss.

I've beaten him! Explored the whole area so I think I've got all the NPCs. My Dirtmouth has the map shop, the stag station and a little bug guy, and I found a big bug lady telling charms, as well as a bunch of other people down in Hallownest who I think stay where they are? I was just buying everything I came across for a while, but can't afford to at the moment.

Is grinding a good idea? I could definitely go and kill easy enemies over and over for geo and buy more stuff? Maybe that would help familiarise me with the areas.

Yes and now the one for mushroom place! That was fucking deep inside but I found it. Lolz at it saying I've already explored the whole place, I have no idea where anything in there is, but at least I can look now :) 

8 minutes ago, spanx said:

Ok. Thanks @Talvalin, beat him. And the shield and sword twats. Could just lure them close to a wall and just did to bouncey down attack thing on their heads

You're welcome. Just be warned that there's a spot with two of those sword & shield gits near a couple of Geo piles in Greenpath (one is active and the other is sitting down like the first one you spot). Assuming you have souls stored up, I tend to fireball once or twice depending, then use my Nail to finish them off. They do occasionally catch me with those shells they throw, but eh. As a tip, you should go and visit Dirtmouth periodically to see if the shops have any new stuff or if any NPCs randomly show up. :) 

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

Yes and now the one for mushroom place! That was fucking deep inside but I found it. Lolz at it saying I've already explored the whole place, I have no idea where anything in there is, but at least I can look now :) 

Excellent news! The mushroom place (Fungal something) is pretty damn big. Btw, you will encounter a plant thing on the walls that fires a projectile, and most of them are on the ceilings where you can't attack them. Best move is to run away, as if you trigger more than one you'll be buggered. 

Ah, now that you have a map for the area, you can track down your spirit after death to recover your Geo! Just remember that like Dark Souls, rushing gets you killed and sometimes by the weakest of enemies. 

23 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

You're welcome. Just be warned that there's a spot with two of those sword & shield gits near a couple of Geo piles in Greenpath (one is active and the other is sitting down like the first one you spot). Assuming you have souls stored up, I tend to fireball once or twice depending, then use my Nail to finish them off. They do occasionally catch me with those shells they throw, but eh. As a tip, you should go and visit Dirtmouth periodically to see if the shops have any new stuff or if any NPCs randomly show up. :) 

Excellent news! The mushroom place (Fungal something) is pretty damn big. Btw, you will encounter a plant thing on the walls that fires a projectile, and most of them are on the ceilings where you can't attack them. Best move is to run away, as if you trigger more than one you'll be buggered. 

Ah, now that you have a map for the area, you can track down your spirit after death to recover your Geo! Just remember that like Dark Souls, rushing gets you killed and sometimes by the weakest of enemies. 

You can bat the projectile back to 'em though, which doesn't give you anything soul-wise, but certainly helps with dealing them death! 

Fighting 

Spoiler

The hornet. Fuck me

Nearly got her a couple of times but that spear attack as a total shit to dodge. Having a break before something gets broken

14 minutes ago, JoeK said:

You can bat the projectile back to 'em though, which doesn't give you anything soul-wise, but certainly helps with dealing them death! 

I tried to swipe at them a couple of times just to see if I could trigger an explosion but I must have got the timing wrong. 

That figures though since I noted that you seem to be able to parry sword attacks from other enemies, and you can deflect the attacks from other projectile-lobbing enemies (at least the ones that come at you in a straight line). 

I'm tempted to experiment with this idea, but fear it will simply lead to more stupid deaths. 

25 minutes ago, spanx said:

Fighting 

Hide contents

The hornet. Fuck me

Nearly got her a couple of times but that spear attack as a total shit to dodge. Having a break before something gets broken

The music is amazing when you are fighting her. 

I got a wall jump! So many places I vaguely remember seeing that I could use one :lol:

Found another area with no map though :( and I’m really starting to worry that maybe I’m just not good enough to do this.

Yeah those mantis things are ridiculous. I can barely even hit them but when I try to run past every area with them in is fucking stuffed with enemies and I get mobbed. I’ve turned it off for the evening (much to my girlfriend’s disappointment) because I’m just not having any fun. I’m hoping that she decides to play it so I don’t have to.