rllmuk
PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

I'm back to wanting to smash my head through my Switch trying beat the Colosseum - Trial of Fools :lol:. This game man, unforgiving. I can get around 80 percent of the way through but always die during the last phase of the spiked ground bit. And the Primal Aspids are the worst!

7 minutes ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

I'm back to wanting to smash my head through my Switch trying beat the Colosseum - Trial of Fools :lol:. This game man, unforgiving. I can get around 80 percent of the way through but always die during the last phase of the spiked ground bit. And the Primal Aspids are the worst!

Me too, man. I got all the way to the penultimate phase. Those Aspids are so annoying but the bouncy fuckers the worse.

16 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’ve ‘defeated’ the 3 masks - will heading to the egg trigger the final boss, and is everything else optional at this point... or is there more after?

It's worth doing the final boss now anyway, you can just resume from your last save afterwards to go and mop up the tons of stuff you missed. Which is definitely worth it.

I'm stuck on the you know who boss and can't really be arsed any more. It's really hard and going through all the phases again and again has sapped my enthusiasm for it.

I've heard a lot of people also say the 3rd trial of Fools might be the hardest thing in the game - I only tried it once and died. But I remember the 2nd trial of fools was hard and really long so I'm not relishing the prospect of it. And yeah those aspid enemies are the most frustrating in the game. With open ground you can bait out their attacks and get in a few hits between their reloads, but with just a few platforms it's a recipe for disaster. Maybe magic is the way to go to beat them?

Still missing a number of secrets as well which I am tired of trawling the map for. I know I've missed a few very helpful charms though which is kinda annoying. Maybe I should try and hunt them down before finishing the last challenges of the game and the DLC?

Has anyone tried the Godhand challenges yet? Apparently in the last iteration of it you have to do a boss rush of like 40 bosses, and if I understand it right one of the ways to play it is to not take a single hit - in a challenge that can last an hour or longer! No thanks!

12 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Has anyone tried the Godhand challenges yet? Apparently in the last iteration of it you have to do a boss rush of like 40 bosses, and if I understand it right one of the ways to play it is to not take a single hit - in a challenge that can last an hour or longer! No thanks!

I know @imp has, and I think @joeplus too? I've only completed the first two, shorter boss rushes but I had a lot of fun with those. I hope to come back and complete the rest before the next lot of DLC arrives.

3 hours ago, Chooch said:

The long spiked corridor in greenpath. Is it worth losing my hair trying to do the pogo on the spikey bugs bit?

any tips? 

I don't know if I'm the only one but I completely missed the fact you could downward attack on enemies until near the end of the game, when I saw a speedrunner do it and was like, sheeeeeeeeeeeet I can't believe I missed that!

So anyway I did it without doing the spikey bounce with some different gear you'll get later on.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I don't know if I'm the only one but I completely missed the fact you could downward attack on enemies until near the end of the game, when I saw a speedrunner do it and was like, sheeeeeeeeeeeet I can't believe I missed that!

So anyway I did it without doing the spikey bounce with some different gear you'll get later on.

As ever a good old moan on Rllmuk fixes everything. Did it first time just there now :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

As ever a good old moan on Rllmuk fixes everything. Did it first time just there now :D

Haha it really does! Speaking of which, I'm giving today to finish the final trial in the colosseum and then I'm done with that. The flying section is driving me to comical levels of rage that cannot be good for my long term health!

I'm rapidly running out of side quests though. I've found all of the Grubs, I've got every charm, I've completed the White Palace (Enjoyably hard that one) and I'm moments away from finishing the dream quest. 

Has anyone beat Grimm yet? Had a couple of goes but could tell it was going to be frustrating, and I can only handle one frustrating thing at a time in this game, so thought I'd come back later.

Any tips for hunting down the last few charms? I don't want to use a walkthrough but I have gone through all of the areas smacking walls left right and centre. Obviously though I've missed some of them anyway. The world's just so big that I can't really face combing through it all yet again - I've already done it multiple times hunting down the other final secrets. Finding the last grubs and areas was fun, getting the last charms isn't. 

Not tried the Grimm DLC yet (although I figured out how to access it). I refuse to do so until I beat the final boss of the game, and that's a challenge that I've got bored of already. I can nearly finish him but I know there's a third stage after that. I also dunno if I'm missing charms which might help kill him (I'm missing 5 or 6 I think). 

White Palace was rock hard at first, I couldn't really believe how hard and unforgiving they'd made it. I would get past a bit (no checkpoint) with a sliver of health remaining, only to arrive at another section of it and go "are you f**king serious, I have to do *that* as well!". But in the end although I didn't enjoy it per say, I took great satsifaction in seeing my platforming skills improve, even to the point I could clear whole sections without taking any damage. But apparently in the endgame there is an even harder and frustrating challenge... not looking forward to that one!

• Upvote 1

Grimm was one of the most enjoyable and infuriating parts of the game for me. The white Palace was good fun but no way was I going to do the extra hard optional section. I watched what it entails on YouTube!  No way. 

Totally cheesed both Hornet Mk2 and the Watcher Knights. Both times stood in the right corner and pretty much quick slashed everything to death :D

Ive just opened the black egg. 87% complete. 

It says new adventure and it's the first paid DLC, so I'm assuming it's new. 

Regardless, Team Cherry deserve the money, so it's day one for me. 

The tweet is a little misleading. It almost reads like the DLC is available to play on the 14th, but their website explains that we’ll be getting a “first look” at it, rather than a shot of playing it.

I gave up on the Trial of Fools and decided to go and complete the game instead. It says I have 100 percent completion, but I'm being tormented by that damn unfinished colosseum...

Beautiful game. Ridiculously difficult in places and easily one of the most frustrating games I've played at times, but equally one of the most gratifying too. Any other games like this I should look out for on the Switch? I've completed both Guacamelees.