Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

I’m absolutely loving this game. I have had some toing and froing due to my fear of not using a bench for a while. I never got on with Axiom Verge. 

I dont wuite know how how they manage to make it eerie and beautiful all at once. I’m not far into the game yet but can’t gelp but think this is what you would get if you crossed Nightmare before Christmas with Ghibli. 

I have unlocked the green reet area so far and defeated a couple of bosses. Is it easy to miss major ability upgrades or do they come in due course as you progress?

You need to be quite thorough in your exploration. Maybe a system for pins. I've had to ask for help a couple of times but I'm about 40 hours in and closing in on the end. Not sure I want it to end. Every boss has been fantastic. 

26 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You need to be quite thorough in your exploration. Maybe a system for pins. I've had to ask for help a couple of times but I'm about 40 hours in and closing in on the end. Not sure I want it to end. Every boss has been fantastic. 

I dunno, I’ve resorted to facetanking one (or 6) then facetanked the next to see if I could, and regretted it after.

Spoiler

Watcher Knights then Hornet 2

The problem is I love the exploration so much, and whilst I like the bosses, I get bored by the journey back. Instant restart on bosses would make me enjoy the game so much more.

All the essential upgrades are pretty hard to miss. Having said that, I've just picked something up after about 50 hours that I probably could have got after about 10-15.

Spoiler

Ability to swim in acid

Not sure how essential that is though and I've nearly uncovered all the map.

11 hours ago, VN1X said:

I'm an idiot. All this time I had the Soul catcher gem enabled instead of the Geo one (Fragile Greed). Fuck! :lol:

Geo one isn’t really needed and you lose it if you die anyway. Soul catcher is far more useful.

I really really love this game. I think the art style, gameplay and challenge are great. It's hard to find such a combination in this day and age. But for fuck sake! I wish they put benches closer to the boss rooms! My sub conscious is trying to make me quit playing because of the laborious travels between benches and boss rooms on the tougher boss battles..

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

No? I’ve not tried it but the description says it breaks if you die.

If you go back to where you die you fight a shadow version of yourself which when killed returns the essence you lost when you died. Of course, if you die before managing to kill this shadow you you lose the essence a la dark souls.

8 minutes ago, grungekid said:

If you go back to where you die you fight a shadow version of yourself which when killed returns the essence you lost when you died. Of course, if you die before managing to kill this shadow you you lose the essence a la dark souls.

I know. What I’m saying is the Geos power thing doesn’t return as it’s broken when you die. You have to buy another one.

54 minutes ago, deKay said:

No? I’ve not tried it but the description says it breaks if you die.

Oh you mean the charm itself. Yeah that breaks when you die but you can prevent that by not dying as much.  ;) But even if you do you can just switch to another one at the bench and once you're back in the neighborhood of the vendor repair it.

Later on in the game you can make it so it never breaks. 

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

There is a way to get unbreakable versions of those charms though. 

I’m sure, but unless later on I suddenly need stacks of geos I don’t think I’ll need it.

Is there a way to get more nodes besides the fat woman thing?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I’m sure, but unless later on I suddenly need stacks of geos I don’t think I’ll need it.

Is there a way to get more nodes besides the fat woman thing?

Keep hold of your Geo.

And there are some notches hidden around the world. They're usually tough to get, though. 

OMG! I thought I was doing well keeping tack of potential new avenues to explore, but I’ve just got the crystal heart and I haven’t planned for this. It’s amazing!

Also found I had 1500 geo so I’ve carefully gathered another 300 and bought the lamp. Figured it’d let me find new and awesome thing and had even remembered a dark cave. A tricky one too, I was totally expecting a new area at the end.. got a worm. :seanr:

Stupid worms.

Well, after 27 hours I just completed this with only 60% completion :o

i thought I’d be a bit higher than that must have missed a lot. The only areas I know I couldn’t reach were ...

Spoiler

...those bits blocked by the black pillars of smoke. Any hints?

..and mention of Hornet 2. Never faced her - where should I look?

Eventually found a nice charm combo which meant I did the final boss on only my second attempt

Fantastic game - love a Metroidvania game, but was a little daunted by the twitchy / quick reactions I needed in my old bones to navigate some areas initially. Glad I persisted :D

9 hours ago, starls said:

Well, after 27 hours I just completed this with only 60% completion :o

i thought I’d be a bit higher than that must have missed a lot. The only areas I know I couldn’t reach were ...

Hide contents

...those bits blocked by the black pillars of smoke. Any hints?

..and mention of Hornet 2. Never faced her - where should I look?

Eventually found a nice charm combo which meant I did the final boss on only my second attempt

Fantastic game - love a Metroidvania game, but was a little daunted by the twitchy / quick reactions I needed in my old bones to navigate some areas initially. Glad I persisted :D

Spoiler

Go to King’s Station. There’s a “broken station” underneath the room where the Stag is. You can swim through a hole in the east wall there. Both answers start here. Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well the Watcher Knights are kicking my ass managed to take down 3/5 is my best effort. 

There is an ability upgrade that makes them quite a bit easier. Can you get through the black barriers yet?