PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Was expecting a difficulty spike at Deepnest, but seems I entered it well-prepared. A walk in the park.

You need to go deeper.

*Squinty Inception Leonardo DiCaprio face*

On 18/01/2019 at 19:17, iknowgungfu said:

Just found 

Hide contents

The path of pain in the White Palace. 

Had a few attempts and then took a sneak peek on YouTube for what else I need to do to get to the end.  Screw that!!! There is a good video where some one is basically some kind of omnipotent hollow Knight player as it was like nothing to them. 

Spoilers in the vid etc etc. 

https://youtu.be/a5EUUB5_HwY

Fuck! But...

Spoiler

...when I got to the end of the White Palace I think it became impossible to go back inside, or am I misremembering?

I bought this day one and after ten hours of not very much fun and aimless wandering and forgetting what I was doing, I've finally seen something in this besides the presentation and it's getting under my skin. A large part was getting the Mantis Claw and feeling the game open up but the sword bouncing also felt like a game changer, as did the Fragile Heart charm. I now feel I have several routes open and several items I want to buy. The music and sound design are also incredibly atmospheric, this whole evening has felt slightly coloured by the vibe they produce. It's a natural kind of feeling, earthy, but threatening, like poison berries. The layers of background and foreground artwork are also stunning. I'm not a total convert yet but I'm starting to see what so many people have loved about it. 

• Upvote 3

On 09/01/2019 at 11:45, David Heath said:

I finished this last night.

It took 42 hours and I ended with 79% so I still have a fair amount left to do, which I'm looking forward to.

Even now, after beating the final boss, it's kinda difficult to work out what to do next. I have some clear goals where I know what needs to be done, but then there are some objectives I'm not sure how to follow up on. I also don't feel like the map is particularly well signposted, and there's one objective in particular where I have no clue where I'm supposed to be headed. It's weird. It's like I know what's up but I don't know what's up.

I'm up to 99% (what does this go up to?)!

Managed to get the final grub last night, and now I'm about to take on all the boss challenges in Godhome, which I assume will give me something new. I think I still have five charms left to collect? I know I need to take the precious flower thing somewhere, but I'm not quite sure where, and I need to beat the final form of that circus tent motherfucker up in Dirtmouth. I've beaten the White Palace, though, I loved that shit. So close ...

I have sacked off the flower thing (for now but I don't see me bothering with it). I am still battling on with the "final tent motherfucker" too (new official name for him). I must have attempted it over 50 times by now and I am getting there. 

I was trying to explain why I keep torturing myself with it to my wife. She just couldn't quite understand the compulsion to keep trying knowing that as difficult as the game is at times, failure comes at the fault of the player. I don't think I've ever felt that the game was"cheating" and is I've of the many reasons I absolutely love this game. 

However, having spent over 60 hours on it now I do feel the need to complete the main story and move on to other games. That isn't a criticism of the game, more that I have a large list of games to start!

Edited by iknowgungfu
Typos
  • Upvote 1

Flower quest hint:

Spoiler

backtrack from the final point kiling enemies to pick up the flower DON'T USE A BENCH! then go back. Most enemies only respawn when you use a bench, meaning the only life losses can come from the environment.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, therearerules said:

Flower quest hint:

Hide contents

backtrack from the final point kiling enemies to pick up the flower DON'T USE A BENCH! then go back. Most enemies only respawn when you use a bench, meaning the only life losses can come from the environment.

Extra hint:

Spoiler

Train the final in-between spikes dash. Train it hard. You'll thank yourself later.

14 hours ago, therearerules said:

Flower quest hint:

Reveal hidden contents

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Extra hint:

Reveal hidden contents

Train the final in-between spikes dash. Train it hard. You'll thank yourself later.

Do I want to read those?

I mean, based on the clue I'm kinda thinking of heading over to the exact other side of the map, and I have some ideas about which specific area. But, I dunno, if the clue is total nonsense and illogical then I might read the hints, as long as they're not explicit.

44 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The Fluke boss and Deep Nest are proving too much. Got the Crystal Peak skills, and did the Dung boss, so...Where am I headed next? The boss in Ancient Basin?

For Fluke boss:

Spoiler

Stand next to it on the slightly higher platform, mash Howling Wraiths repeatedly, preferably with Shaman Stone equipped. It dead.

• Upvote 1

Destroyed Broken Vessel on my second attempt with the Defender Crest and Shroom Spore. Beat the Brooding Mawlek. Climbed the Crystal Peak. A highly productive session!

The visual change that occurs to a certain area after Broken Vessel is just gorgeous.

And I found some lady bug hiding out in City of Tears.