PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

16 minutes ago, Junker said:

Advice please...

Hide contents

In Deepnest do I “have” to do that bit where you bounce on the centipedes? I’m having a nightmare trying to do it

No. And yes, it's very annoying. Use Longnail or Mark of Pride to make it easier.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

No. And yes, it's very annoying. Use Longnail or Mark of Pride to make it easier.

What do I get by completing it? Just wondering whether to bother or not

On 07/10/2018 at 20:59, wretcherd said:

I also realised I'd missed

Hide contents

path of pain

so did that today. Wasn't too difficult as it's quite generous with checkpoints and soul, just had to grind out repeated attempts.

I just did it aaargg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yuujiin said:

I'm still stuck on Hornet. :blink2:

Best tip for bosses in general I got off someone on here, just practice reading their tells and attack patterns and practice dodging until you can do it reliably  before trying to get your hits in

• Upvote 1

It's really interesting to read how people are finding the bosses so tricky. I think they generally appealed to my pattern recognition because my rule of thumb was four to five attempts and I'd have done each one. There were a couple of exceptions but they didn't really annoy me as I was recognising what I was doing wrong. 

I thought they were all really tight, well designed fights. 

10 hours ago, Timmo said:

I find this game a bit meandering. I'm not sure I actually enjoy it.

How far in? I had it pretty early on but it got its hooks into me. I think it can be a bit frustrating early on when it's not clear where you should be heading.

17 minutes ago, DC said:

How far in? I had it pretty early on but it got its hooks into me. I think it can be a bit frustrating early on when it's not clear where you should be heading.

4th or 5th area. I'm not lost, just a bit unmotivated. 

5 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Quick question, does the PS4 version include all the DLC? 

It contains all the free DLC which have been released so far. There's going to be more released at some point, but they'll be paid DLC. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You're probably on the cusp of where it gets amazing. 

Is that before or after the Crystal Peak section? I've uncovered a fair bit of that and am not really enjoying the game as much as I have been up to this point. 

Just wasted several hours...

Spoiler

Completing the 160 entries of the Hunter's Journal. Doesn't even add to your completion percentage so I'm still 110%. Nice moment returning to the Hunter, though.

I'll return to finally finish the game fully after Mark of the Ninja. Ah!

• Upvote 1

Damn this game was good. Only got 104% and it took me 117 hours. Definitely reminded me that I’m not as good as I used to be at challenging games. Nearly gave up multiple times, probably because I was attempting things my character level wasn’t ready to.

Things I liked:

- Worldbuilding and subtle story. What a brilliant setting and civilisation.

- Character and enemy designs are very creative with lots of personality.

- Charm system was surprisingly deep allowing for genuinely different play styles and approaches to combat.

- Traveling around was lots of fun, just swishing your nail and affecting the environment.

- So much extra content. Great value for money. The devs have earned every cent of their success.

Things I didn’t like:

- Difficulty was on the ‘too hard’ side of hard for me. Nearly gave up multiple times, but gamers with the mad skills will be fine.

- Some checkpoints and travelling stations felt too far away and perhaps artificially extended the length of the game.

- Some of the hidden stuff was a little too well hidden?? I often found myself thinking, ‘how would anyone find/learn this?’ I definitely needed a guide at times (maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention). But maybe that’s the point, to engage with the community and learn the secrets you couldn’t find yourself. 

If not for God of War this probably would be my GOTY. Highly recommended, one of the best Indie games around and one of the best on the Switch (and I dont even like Metroid/Soulsvania game).

9/10 

Going back to get some missing charm notches and fight a few beasties.

• Upvote 1

I FINALLY beat the Watcher Knights after probably 20 tries, the first boss I've been really stuck on. Luckily they were close to a bench so it wasn't too annoying getting back there after each death.

I've now unlocked the  <REDACTED> so I think I'm getting near the end finally.

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

I FINALLY beat the Watcher Knights after probably 20 tries, the first boss I've been really stuck on. Luckily they were close to a bench so it wasn't too annoying getting back there after each death.

I've now unlocked the  <REDACTED> so I think I'm getting near the end finally.

Did you use the Chandelier trick too? I died so many times on the Watcher Knights and then after a little break I went back into the game, used that trick and did them in about 2 attempts.

Currently I have The Traitor Lord, Grimm & Grey Prince Zote that I can't beat

Yeah, even with one less of them it took many tries.

I've now got my completion percentage and it's a paltry 55%! I assume that isn't solely map completion and takes lots of other things into account, but I thought it'd be a bit higher than that after 26 hours.

EDIT: ...and finished. The final boss was pretty easy compared to some of the others but I like how the fight progressed. Great game overall, no idea what the story was about but for just under ten pounds an absolute bargain.

They're a definite difficulty spike but I wouldn't say beating them is predicated on luck. Like all the bosses in the game, it's just a matter of learning and reacting to their tells.