PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

My armchair foundry analysis is 60fps with frame pacing issues. Certainly doesn’t look perfectly smooth to me. More noticeable in docked mode.

Otherwise marvellous so far!

As I get older, I find I just hate boss fights 90% of the time. I like a boss that feels like a challenge but is more about spectacle and a finale. I really really don’t like just infuriatingly hard enemies that can move much faster when all I’ve got is a single poxy sword attack that does barely any damage. 

/rant

please note: I think I have at least one ‘oh fuck this shite’ rant for every Metroidy game I’ve ever played and then come back loving them.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

As I get older, I find I just hate boss fights 90% of the time. I like a boss that feels like a challenge but is more about spectacle and a finale. I really really don’t like just infuriatingly hard enemies that can move much faster when all I’ve got is a single poxy sword attack that does barely any damage. 

/rant

please note: I think I have at least one ‘oh fuck this shite’ rant for every Metroidy game I’ve ever played and then come back loving them.

I am doing okay with this, but I am currently on a quest to complete every main series Mega Man game before 11 comes out (just 9 and 10 to go) so I have been playing bastard-hard platform adventures all month. As such I am not finding it too much trouble (just going through into what might be the third area of the game now?).

It's lovely, though. Really, really lovely. Having a lot of fun with it and it looks and sounds gorgeous. Well worth my self-imposed wait so I could play it on the go with the Switch.

• Upvote 1

This game is unforgiving and hard as fuck.  Which is proving to be a bit annoying.  

got to a platform and got hit by a falling spike... then one of those spiky flies flew at me and when I swiped to kill it, I automatically stepped backwards OFF THE FUCKING PLATFORM and onto spikes below.  Enough damage to send me half way across the map to the last bench I was at.

fucking hell.

Still - it is very nice so I'll persevere but.. I don't mind a spoiler... please tell me I get a more powerful weapon than this daft nail I'm using.  Two hits at least to kill anything is getting a bit tiresome... the big sword and shield guys take far too long to go down now.

Even though I am Team Grey, I have bought my boyfriend a Neon one for his birthday next month. Just so we can tell them apart, that's all. 

38 minutes ago, Beezer said:

When you say ‘absolutely lovely’ do you mean ‘even more lurid and tasteless’?

:lol:

It was seeing them in the flesh that convinced me I needed them, tbh.  I was once like you. I carry no shame for wanting colourful controllers. 

• Upvote 1

Good christ, do we have to do this again? 

(team neon, obviously)

In other news, this is actually better than I hoped it would be: the Souls references that were thrown around about it seem limited to it a) being a Metroidvania and b) having a currency loss/regain mechanic, and c) being a bit melancholy and mysterious, all of which I can get behind. 

I'm only as far as having dealt with the second boss/area so far, and using enemies and obstacles as space hoppers to access secret areas / speed up progress through the map hasn't yet got old. That, combined with enjoyable level design, the fab idea to withhold map creation from you when entering a new area, interesting bosses and a lovely aesthetic (from trailers and the Souls references I'd worried the game would be too gloomy for my tastes, but in action it's filled with life and even occasionally charming), mean I'm really enjoying myself. And that price was a steal! 

This is shaping up to be one of my favourite metroidvanias, which is high praise. 

49 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Good christ, do we have to do this again?

Cheer up misery guts. It’s fun to poke the people who rushed into getting the ‘neon’ switch at launch because that’s all that was available, convincing themselves that it’s not embarrassing despite knowing deep down that it is. :hat:

yeah, totally agree that this lives up to the hype. Art style, combat, level design, atmosphere, pacing, difficulty all spot on so far.

• Downvote 3

On 15/06/2018 at 09:14, scottcr said:

I’ve now got to

Reveal hidden contents

Hornet

and no longer enjoying it so much.  

Spoiler

Watch her. She only has a few moves she repeats constantly. I was getting clobbered by her to start with, but in the end defeated her without getting hit. Watch her moves, goad her into action, get a hit in, repeat. Heal up if needed when she's down a few seconds.

• Upvote 1

On 15/06/2018 at 17:56, scottcr said:

This game is unforgiving and hard as fuck.  Which is proving to be a bit annoying.  

got to a platform and got hit by a falling spike... then one of those spiky flies flew at me and when I swiped to kill it, I automatically stepped backwards OFF THE FUCKING PLATFORM and onto spikes below.  Enough damage to send me half way across the map to the last bench I was at.

fucking hell.

Still - it is very nice so I'll persevere but.. I don't mind a spoiler... please tell me I get a more powerful weapon than this daft nail I'm using.  Two hits at least to kill anything is getting a bit tiresome... the big sword and shield guys take far too long to go down now.

Spoiler

You can get Charms upping defense and offense. Haven't found a new weapon yet.

As for the platform thing: there's a specific Charm to keep you from moving when striking. :D

• Upvote 1

Been playing this properly for a few hours today and oh my...

While Axiom Verge was a solid follow-up to Metroid, this feels more Castlevania. There's some traversal but it's more engrained into the area itself, less into your skills (even though you get some nice stuff). Also some shades of Rogue Legacy in there. And while I think a leveling system is kind of what's expected, I'm really liking the challenge of only having a few hit points, especially when off-set against your healing skill. Like Dark Souls, having access to healing is pretty normal, it's when to use it that's making me nervous.

Everything's tight as can be and I love the Soul-ish effect of fighting a new "boss", getting scared shitless by it, finally defeating it, only to discover it's a common enemy. :D Opened up a handful of areas now...

Spoiler

... and the fog area is intense! Those huge jellyfish are rather insane in their death throes.