PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

£10.99 is way cheaper than I was expecting. Was more than that at launch on PC before the DLC packs and this will include all 4. 

I need some eShop credit. Is there anywhere you can buy it and save a bit, like with PSN credit from CDkeys?

Price is surprising me also. I'm sure I paid more than that on Steam, but it's £10.99 on there at the moment.

I loved the first half of this but thought it lost its way halfway through. Gonna give it another go. @Cyhwuhx does it get better again after 

Spoiler

it removes you from the wonderful interconnected world you've been exploring and dumps you unceremoniously in some weird dream world? I got disoriented and lost interest.

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, can’t as I’ve got about a quid of credit on my account. Thanks, though. 

You do know you can have more than one Nintendo account on the same switch (and all accounts can play on anything one account has bought)?

I have a UK account and then another that globe trots depending on whatever is the best deal (normally flitting between South Africa, Norway and Russia).

Can’t believe they’re only asking £10.99 for this.

Was willing to go in for £20-25 and I imagine most people would’ve given the hype.

Still, shouldn’t complain!

Have to warn you, this is my first playthrough. Was toying with getting it on PC, then the PS4 version got announced. And delayed. Then the Switch version became an option. And was delayed. So here I am having waited about half as long as one would wait for a new Metroid. (Seriously, people were expecting Prime 4 this year?! What, are they all newborn children encountering Nintendo for the first time?)

First impressions are nice. Understated like Sundered, combat a tad more dynamic than you'd expect from the 2D Dark Souls inspirations, lots of environment to slash so it's always inviting you to do things, Souls-mechanic in losing you currency on a certain spot and having to reclaim it, proper Mega Man-ish combat patterns (first boss is already way more involved then anything Axiom Verge brought to the table, then again bosses were AV's weak point) and it looks lovely. Well, not colourful, but lovely and detailed. It evokes shades of Ori in that respect, even tough it's more crude for lack of a better word.

Pig in filth.

• Upvote 2

And suddenly it hits me. 

Knytt Underground. 

This has the same “warm dark” atmosphere. Pretty, subdued, cozy, burrowing, and intriguing. This is a much better game dan Knytt (even though I really loved that for what it was) and it’s much more inviting than Dark Souls’ prepare to die mentality. 

There’s also a dark sense of humour and character to it. No gore or anything but you are squashing fellow bugs quite severely nonetheless.

PS if you’ve never played Knytt Underground, give it a try as well. A much more explorative Metroidvania with some inventive environment puzzles and a great meditative soundtrack. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve just started this and really like what I’ve seen so far... I’ve encountered a much bigger beetle thing with a sword. Am I able to beat it or should I be exploring for some kind of a power up? I suspect the former and I’m just shit at games. Much more Dark Soulsy than I was expecting... 

9 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’ve just started this and really like what I’ve seen so far... I’ve encountered a much bigger beetle thing with a sword. Am I able to beat it or should I be exploring for some kind of a power up? I suspect the former and I’m just shit at games. Much more Dark Soulsy than I was expecting... 

You can beat it without too much trouble, yeah. You don't need to, though.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Needs a fair bit of timing, but it's doable. Becomes easier later on though. The first boss will give you some training.

• Upvote 1

Yep, really liking this. Looks great, really fun to control and jump around the world (SO important for a Metroidvania), lots of things to collect, and the enemies are fun to kill, even the easy ones (again, vital for a game like this).

For those on the fence: there's also a nice mechanic in the form of "souls". Hit enemies and you recover souls (defeating them drops currency). You can hold A to consume gathered souls and recover a hit point (kind of like Estus Flasks, only more aggressive). The game is now starting to use souls for other things as well, turning it into magic bar/stamina bar combo of sorts. Very neat. :)

Yeah, the controls are nice and crisp. Although I think I preferred them early on before you get a certain quite powerful traversal upgrade.

Spoiler

Simply mashing a button to bound up walls feels a bit unsophisticated and overpowered to me. It did in Ori too. 

The controls are decent in combat too I thought.

• Upvote 1

Definitely wanting to get this, but a second hand copy of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow recently arrived in the post, which I've never played. I've got Steamworld Dig 2 sitting downloaded and un-opened on my Switch, while I'm still not done dicking around with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (read: I haven't been good enough to complete even my first playthrough yet :facepalm:).

Oh, and I've also been wanting to lob some money and support towards Team17 for Yoku's Island Express, so, basically I'm Metroidvania'd out my box. Feels good, but I just wish I had aaaaaaaaaalllll the time to play them all. I think I'd manage a lot better if it wasn't summer time. Somehow, I much prefer playing these games around autumn and winter. 

I'm in some sort of Metroidvania frenzy at the minute. I'm comparatively late to the genre, maybe only getting into it over the past 3 or 4 years or so (besides 'classic' Castlevanias which I owned and loved during the NES and SNES eras). I'd always dismissed the more fully-formed explorative Metroidvania genre as some boring backtracking bollocks when I was a kid. Stupid wee cunt, really.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Definitely wanting to get this, but a second hand copy of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow recently arrived in the post, which I've never played. I've got Steamworld Dig 2 sitting downloaded and un-opened on my Switch, while I'm still not done dicking around with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (read: I haven't been good enough to complete even my first playthrough yet :facepalm:).

DoS was my first Metroidvania and it’s amazing. Up there with SOTN, maybe edging it for me. Do enjoy!

I've weirdly never had the means to even play SOTN, unfortunately. And I've aaaalways wanted to, ever since reading the Edge review when it originally released (same issue as the Ocarina of Time review, maybe??). I don't think I've ever owned any of the seemingly million-odd formats it's been available to play on throughout the ages :wacko:

8 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I've weirdly never had the means to even play SOTN, unfortunately. And I've aaaalways wanted to, ever since reading the Edge review when it originally released (same issue as the Ocarina of Time review, maybe??). I don't think I've ever owned any of the seemingly million-odd formats it's been available to play on throughout the ages :wacko:

Vita is a pretty good way to play it.

(It’s how I finally caught up with it).

But Dawn of Sorrow is very similar and in some ways more refined.

Cool, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Dawn over the next week or so, and I hope SotN magically ends up appearing on a format I currently own one day, although that would depend on Konami having a fucking clue, so perhaps not. I'll get round to it playing it eventually, I'm certain. Like I say, I've had a lingering urge to do so ever since it released. Indeed, I'm not really sure what my excuse is for not sorting it out sooner.

I do worry if SotN's magic will be somewhat diminished by the time I do get round to playing it, given the amount of quality Metroidvania fare I've been exposed to these past few years, both old classics, and all these quality indies from more recent times. I worry I'll end up like @scottcr, the silly bastard who claims he's not that big a fan of Super Metroid :hmm: I believe he cites similar reasons, i.e. coming to it late, after playing more recent entries in the genre. It's a terrifying prospect.

It's actually quite amazing just how much of a resurgence this genre has had in recent times. When you think how IGA got papped down onto developing mobile games or someshit, and having to resort to Kickstarter to fund Bloodstained, or how Nintendo allowed the daddy mother of the entire genre to lie wasted and dormant for so long, all because of this false belief that modern gamers weren't interested in playing that style of game anymore. They dun fucked that up, eh? Fucking torrents of the stuff pishing all over the place now, to critical acclaim and healthy sales. It's fucking great to see.

• Upvote 2

Hahahah. Yeap. I’ve tried a few times, get about 70% through and the vast map and unforgiving quick sand and wall jumping and lack of direction breaks it for me. 

I remember getting stuck for ages in Super Metroid when you get a scanner beam and have to search every wall and floor for the single block thats bombable.

On topic, any performance issues with Hollow Knight like some other Switch ports?