PK

Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I wouldn't worry too much about holding onto Geo. Spend it when you can to save it going to waste, and bank some if you're really overflowing with nothing to buy. I found that the game is pretty good at providing ways to make lots of money quickly later on.

I earnt it back within like an hour so wasn't too bad.

Is the sacrificing 3000 to the alter worth it?

2 hours ago, John0 said:

Also, I'm assuming there's no way to...

Reveal hidden contents

... cure the infection in the Crossroads? There's a walled off area.. is it possible to get into that?

Oops, forgot to quote.

No way to remove that AFAIK, but you can still get around, it just makes traversal a bit more of a pain.

That was another great moment in the game, IMO, it felt like a tangible shift had occurred in the game world and I started to worry I'd done something wrong!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, imp said:

I'm quite tempted to try this myself... Maybe after Gods & Glory comes out! In the mean time, I'm going to try and complete the game in under 5 hours... And then maybe try to bump that up to finish 100% under 20, as I realised I don't have to get 107% to do that!

I managed the 20 hours almost by accident on the second playthrough - did some planning and quickened my pace once I realised it was achievable, and had time to spare. The first one I think is more taxing and needs some route research, I'll give it a go at some point. Wouldn't be surprised if they drop some new achievements in Gods & Glory for 100+% speedruns, it does feel a bit tricksy choosing to miss out the hardest bits!

Spoiler

Steel Soul mode is very cool, it makes things rather fucking tense. A bit grindy if you want the safety of purchases early on, but overall definitely worth playing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, John0 said:

I've still got two Charms to go, so if anyone wants to give merest tiny hints (as in, the area they are found in maybe? so I can go searching back through that area) as to where to get the...

Hide contents

Soul Eater and the one that's fifth from the right on the bottom row

Spoiler

Deepnest - somewhere patrolled by very tough enemies.

Resting Grounds - did you really find every dead end?

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I earnt it back within like an hour so wasn't too bad.

Is the sacrificing 3000 to the alter worth it?

Spoiler

There's only one way to find out!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, joeplus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Deepnest - somewhere patrolled by very tough enemies.

Resting Grounds - did you really find every dead end?

Reveal hidden contents

There's only one way to find out!

Haha you dick :P

• Upvote 1

This is so much bigger than I anticipated. 20+ hours and I've just reached one of the guardians of whatever they're called. £10.99 is an obscene price when you consider some of the tat on the estore. I almost feel like I've robbed the devs a bit.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Majora said:

This is so much bigger than I anticipated. 20+ hours and I've just reached one of the guardians of whatever they're called. £10.99 is an obscene price when you consider some of the tat on the estore. I almost feel like I've robbed the devs a bit.

I said something similar in another thread. I can see myself double dipping when it's released elsewhere just because if feel like I've been massively undercharged for it. 

OK, I don't think it's a real spoiler to mention that Steel Soul mode exists - agree/disagree? I could just say I'm trying a "deathless run", after all. I'd still spoiler most of it.

Tonight was a wake-up call:

Spoiler

When you think you've powered up enough for a boss, go away and power up again. Everything up until now had been pretty comfortable: Gruz Mother, False Knight, Hornet, Soul Master.

Brooding Mawlek: it lives in the Crossroads, you can get to it pretty early on, but it's not a low-level boss. I had to learn a dodge I'd never considered in my other runs, and learn it under pressure, terrified, trying to improvise.

Two Elder Baldurs: they're not even proper bosses, and I'd made a note to avoid them on SS mode until I had a bit more clout. Did not have enough clout. I was so close to death here. Killed the left one with 1 mask of health remaining, ran into the corner and found it's a safe haven. Would have been fucked if I'd concentrated on the right fella.

I love this game and this mode, if that wasn't clear.

• Upvote 1

Jesus. The 

Spoiler

Hive Knight

is kicking my arse. I know exactly what I need to do, but I seem to end up just flailing wildly in desperation until I die. Doesn't help that it's a bit of a trek from the nearest bench. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

Jesus. The 

Reveal hidden contents

Hive Knight

is kicking my arse. I know exactly what I need to do, but I seem to end up just flailing wildly in desperation until I die. Doesn't help that it's a bit of a trek from the nearest bench. 

There is a kind-of shortcut to be found in the room before it so you can evade most of the big-uns on the way towards it.

I just started this and just got the map and the compass. Does that put me past the ‘slow start’ that everybody talks about?

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I just started this and just got the map and the compass. Does that put me past the ‘slow start’ that everybody talks about?

I'd say it opens up past the first boss and the first power. But I never found the initial part 'slow'. It's a very compact circuit you're left in to play around, nothing problematic.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There is a kind-of shortcut to be found in the room before it so you can evade most of the big-uns on the way towards it.

Yep, I found it. it's still. a bit of a journey. I'll nail it tonight.

15 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I'd say it opens up past the first boss and the first power. But I never found the initial part 'slow'. It's a very compact circuit you're left in to play around, nothing problematic.

Thanks. It certainly is beautiful and fun to play so far. 

Spent some time working towards the 5 hour completion yesterday, following this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=878193536

Found it frustrating and fun in equal measure. Frustrating because you go from being really used to 8 masks and a powered up nail to just having nothing, not even much movement, and it took more getting used to than I anticipated. Soul Sanctum and Crystal Peak caught me trying to be quick when I was just being careless. Love it when games do this though, it's tough and I get annoyed, but you get over it so quickly because I'm always punished for my own mistakes.

Started over a few times and got Hornet down in around 25 mins, which was very satisfying. And it started to feel doable.. and I'm 100% not very good :D. But I think I can muddle through in 5 hours with the 2nd nail upgrade. Watcher Knights may have different ideas though!

Been watching some of the proper speedruns too and they're super fun (the no major glitches ones). Found this resources page with gifs and guides to skips and things. Awesome stuff! https://www.speedrun.com/hollowknight/guides

• Upvote 3

That charm which gives you loads of little spiders combined with the sunshield has made me feel a bit overpowered. On most bosses now I barely even have to bother getting slashes in. Just dodge the attacks and let the spiders/shield do the rest with a few spells thrown in for good measure.

I think I'm a bit lost again 

Spoiler

I've killed the mantis lords and found fog canyon, also deep nest. I've got the dream nail and beaten two of those dream champions. Not the dreamers, those orangy ones. I still have just ground pound, spin and dash. 

Any idea which way I should be heading?

Can't exactly remember what's next, but you seem to be missing an important item. Have a look near the lower City of Tears for another area. 

You've done things in a completely different order to me. I only got the dream nail much, much later. 

• Upvote 1

That's awesome. I love how open this game is! I got the dream nail straight after getting the dash. I stumbled on one of its uses pretty soon afterwards too and was trying the

dream version of the first boss

before I even got any nail upgrades because I thought that that was the away to upgrade my regular nail, because I'm a doofus.

I've reached the final boss. 33 hours and 83% completion. If I defeat him, it's not gonna throw me in NG+ or anything is it? I want to mop up afterwards. 

13 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

All that nail-biting work for a single flower. :wub:

I found that mission earlier. I'm going to be honest: I'm not even going to attempt it. It's way beyond my level. 

I think I'm at the final boss and I've only done 62% apparently. How?!

Let me check, the final boss is 

inside that black egg thing once you've woken all three dreamers, right?

Assuming that is the final boss, there is one whole area I haven't done yet and I haven't done the Grimm Troupe DLC for sure. Not sure about the other DLC. Does the completion percentage include the DLC areas?

I've loved the game but I think I'm probably ready to finish it and then come back in a few months once the final DLC has been released and play through all the DLC areas. I've become slightly fatigued the past few hours because I feel like I've seen everything in the level design that I need to. At least for now. It's becoming more obvious that a lot of the level design and enemy placement is very similar across areas but with a different skin, and having played about 30 hours in a week I'm ready to move on. 

Still a fantastic game though, and one I'll return to for sure.

8 hours ago, Majora said:

I think I'm at the final boss and I've only done 62% apparently. How?!

Let me check, the final boss is 

Reveal hidden contents

inside that black egg thing once you've woken all three dreamers, right?

Assuming that is the final boss, there is one whole area I haven't done yet and I haven't done the Grimm Troupe DLC for sure. Not sure about the other DLC. Does the completion percentage include the DLC areas?

I've loved the game but I think I'm probably ready to finish it and then come back in a few months once the final DLC has been released and play through all the DLC areas. I've become slightly fatigued the past few hours because I feel like I've seen everything in the level design that I need to. At least for now. It's becoming more obvious that a lot of the level design and enemy placement is very similar across areas but with a different skin, and having played about 30 hours in a week I'm ready to move on. 

Still a fantastic game though, and one I'll return to for sure.

I dare you to play Chasm and then hold on to your views on Hollow Knight. ;)

Yes, that’s the boss btw  the DLC is integrated:

Spoiler

Have you returned from whence you came?

18 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I found that mission earlier. I'm going to be honest: I'm not even going to attempt it. It's way beyond my level. 

It's not that hard (at least I didn't think so anyway, and loads of bosses took me ages in this and other games). There's an agreed easiest route which you can find easily with a google. And if you equip some spell boosting charms and the one that makes your nail shoot things out (if you have it), you can attack almost everything from a safe distance :).

(you also get multiple - I assume infinite? - goes at it as well)

2 hours ago, John0 said:

It's not that hard (at least I didn't think so anyway, and loads of bosses took me ages in this and other games). There's an agreed easiest route which you can find easily with a google. And if you equip some spell boosting charms and the one that makes your nail shoot things out (if you have it), you can attack almost everything from a safe distance :).

(you also get multiple - I assume infinite? - goes at it as well)

I may give it a go. It just seems...daunting. 

In other news: physical version announced for all consoles next year! I'm definitely going to pick up both the Switch and XBox versions. :wub:

https://nichegamer.com/2018/08/20/xbox-one-and-switch-ports-confirmed-for-hollow-knight-physical-release-planned/

• Upvote 1