rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Celeste

Chapter 5, C-side. Those wallkick dashes seem absolutely impossible at first, but they come surprisingly quickly with practice. And I got plenty of practice (419 deaths!)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, joeplus said:

Last bit of showing off for the day: the choke, and the clutch. Honestly the music on this stage is what kept me going, it's so darn smooth...

Hide contents

Oof. I'm feeling like a joeminus right now.

• Upvote 1

My hands are aching but my brain is very happy. C7 down! 600 deaths but it felt like twice as many.

Spoiler

One more to go, wish me luck!

• Upvote 6

Aaargh. I stopped with Celeste post-credits to focus on Dandara (which I very much enjoyed but it's nowhere near Celeste). I'm looking forward to all this insane nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Here's another cool thing Celeste does:

If you die on the very first screen of a level, it resets the speedrun clock without you having to manually restart via the pause menu. And it won't count those deaths towards your "best" total, only the ones in later screens. It's saying "well, if you had restarted after those early deaths, this would be your best record". What a grand little gesture.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it's quite a friendly game given how hard it is (like telling you not to bother with the strawberries if you don't want to, and that a high death count is proof that you're learning).

I'm at chapter 3 and loving it so far. The wall hugging took a bit of getting used to but now I'm getting the same sort of feeling I got with Super Meat Boy; dying constantly and happy to restart over and over until I succeed.

• Upvote 1

It’s the little moments of sheer triumph in this game that make it so good. 

A tweet what I just done from the train after dying 50 times on this bit. I was determined to do it in one go. Nearly managed it...

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It’s the little moments of sheer triumph in this game that make it so good. 

A tweet what I just done from the train after dying 50 times on this bit. I was determined to do it in one go. Nearly managed it...

I saw that tweet and nodded my head, sooo true! :) 

Firstly,  what a high quality game this is! It's got such a good feedback loop of agonising frustration to elation. Thematically, it's very different to Super Meat Boy but reminds me a lot of the feeling I got playing it. The movement is very satisfying and surprisingly deep (see joeplus's videos above) and, like Yiggy said, when you pull off a particularly complicated section you really do feel "god-tier."  And I haven't even mentioned the story, which might be the biggest surprise of all.

Secondly, 

Spoiler

It's the game that keeps on giving.  Crystal hearts, b-sides, fucking c-sides as well now?

I'm not quite at the stage where I want to start looking up crystal heart soltions, but I have hit a literal wall now, where I can't continue without all of the hearts. 

Can anyone give me a hint with the crystal heart in Reflection (chapter 6, I think)? I managed to light the first torch (using the satellite bird soltion from chapter 1), but can't figure out the rest. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, donpeartree said:

Firstly,  what a high quality game this is! It's got such a good feedback loop of agonising frustration to elation. Thematically, it's very different to Super Meat Boy but reminds me a lot of the feeling I got playing it. The movement is very satisfying and surprisingly deep (see joeplus's videos above) and, like Yiggy said, when you pull off a particularly complicated section you really do feel "god-tier."  And I haven't even mentioned the story, which might be the biggest surprise of all.

Secondly, 

Hide contents

It's the game that keeps on giving.  Crystal hearts, b-sides, fucking c-sides as well now?

I'm not quite at the stage where I want to start looking up crystal heart soltions, but I have hit a literal wall now, where I can't continue without all of the hearts. 

Can anyone give me a hint with the crystal heart in Reflection (chapter 6, I think)? I managed to light the first torch (using the satellite bird soltion from chapter 1), but can't figure out the rest. 

I looked that one up too, as well as some strawberry locations. A similar feeling to you - I wanted more of that sweet platforming so didn't want to spend too much time scratching my head over puzzles, or scouring every screen for secrets.

Hint:

Spoiler

You mentioned what the chapter was called... think on that.

Solution:

Spoiler

You have to input that code again, but flipped - first horizontally, then vertically, then both.

Oh boy, Youtube just served me up a fucking cool easter egg that someone's found. This game continues to impress me mightily.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

I’d never heard of this until I saw man v game play it yesterday. The style and music is fantastic, I ended up watching it for hours. I might watch a speedrun if of it 

This video is amazing:

Very quickly it’s gone from ‘short and sweet indie platformer’ to ‘HOLY FUCK: strawberries, B-Sides, C-Sides, golden strawberries, speed runs, secret moves, and that’s what the story is about??’ GOTY material.

• Upvote 2

Finally got around to finishing this.

1806 deaths, 88 strawberries, 8h47m.

I'm glad I finished it but I really stopped having much fun with it around Chapter 5 or 6.. I'm not sure why. Not due to difficulty - the game doesn't get that much harder after a certain point, but it feels like it runs out of ideas and you end up feeling like you're just doing variations of what you've done before. In chapter 7 there were bits where I'm not sure if they were just repeated bits of earlier levels or not.

I'm just glad I can close the game without losing my Chapter 7 progress.

• Empathy 1

I don't have it but I've been stealth-following this game for ages; posts, tweets, videos... obviously I don't want to spoil all the things for myself, but everything I hear about this sounds like my jam - super-tight controls but a challenge to match. The only reservation I have is that it sounds like the kind of game where the challenge will keep rising (especially if you want to mop up everything) and my own skill will eventually plateau. :lol: Even so, I know that there are a few assists for scrubs like me, and I'd like to take a look when my gaming schedule isn't so packed.

I brought this and my god I'm so rubbish at this game. Watching some of the videos on this thread ,sometimes you just have to walk away saying "Na mate that ain't ever happening"

I feel the same, but I just don’t even worry about strawberries or b sides and plug away at just getting through it and have surprised myself with some of the stuff I’ve done that I originally thought was impossible. 

I havent used nybswitch at all at all for a few weeks now but I keep meaning to get back to this and push on further. I’ve just started the windy level, so still a long way to go. 

I am so terrible at this game.

1300 deaths on chapter 3 and I still missed 3 strawberries.

Its phenomenal though, best 2d platformer I’ve played in literally decades...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Still full price on the eShop I see. :(

It only came out under 2 months ago and it's been on the charts ever since. Why would they reduce the price?

Just now, mdn2 said:

It only came out under 2 months ago and it's been on the charts ever since. Why would they reduce the price?

'Cause there's an eShop sale happening at the moment. 

1 minute ago, VN1X said:

'Cause there's an eShop sale happening at the moment. 

Ah. I wonder if Kirby is on sale, then. 

8 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Its phenomenal though, best 2d platformer I’ve played in literally decades...

Agreed.  And, for me, also the hardest!  Which made it all the more satisfying when I FINALLY cleared each stage of the mountain :).

• Upvote 1

I’m stuck currently on a bit and it’s not that I can’t do it, just I can’t figure out what I should do.  I’ll try and post a screenshot later. 

Wow, what a total bloody masterpiece this is! Not sure if I've got it in me to do all the B sides etc but I've just finished the main story. It's just such a joy to play, they've nailed the movement mechanics perfectly, and it looks and sounds lovely.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GokouD said:

Wow, what a total bloody masterpiece this is! Not sure if I've got it in me to do all the B sides etc but I've just finished the main story. It's just such a joy to play, they've nailed the movement mechanics perfectly, and it looks and sounds lovely.

Absolutely agree - it feels very much like a Nintendo game in this respect. Mechanically, it probably is better than any other 2D platformer I've played, including the absolute classics like Super Mario World and DKC: Tropical Freeze. I think this is why I can endure hundreds of deaths without frustration, as it is always my fault when I die. There's a section about speedrunning in the latest EDGE where Celeste features; I've not read it properly yet but the comments in there echo my thoughts on the game.

In terms of the sounds, I love the tiny details such as the sounds of footfall on the different surfaces, with the 'crunchy' snow being my favourite.

I've still got about 15 more strawberries, a couple of crystal hearts and B-sides to complete before I even think about the C-sides, so plenty of stuff to keep me going.

I'll be very impressed if we get a better game (of any genre) releasing this year!

Just how hard is Celeste? Im so tempted but I’ve hardly played any games platform games and don’t know if it’s going to be an exercise in frustration. But it looks beautiful, everyone says it’s anazing and the girl in it has the same name as my daughter ;)