rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Celeste

The final chapter of this game gave me the most "Fuck yeah!" moments in any game for a very long time.

Just love the characters, story, music, the everything :wub:

• Upvote 3

The number of times I thought "Well this is the section that'll I'll never get past" was so many. I always made it through eventually though. Anyone worried about the difficulty should just give it a go, I finished it and I'm shite at stuff like this.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm done with it for now. Loved playing it but not sure I can be arsed with chapter 9. 

Maybe I'll go back to it one day but I'd rather stop now having loved the challenge so far than grow to get fed up with it. 

Spoiler

I got a little way in to a point where you have to collect a double jump then and climb to 3 panels which retract into the electric cloud, climb/jump up a bit and get fling over to another panel on the left (with a Doubke dash refresh). 

Tried it over 30 times and I can feel the growing seed of anger. I did the same thing with Hollow Knight with that but where you have to needle Jump for almost the entire level.

Don't regret this gamer in the slightest though. Beautiful game. Now I think I need to find something a bit more simple!

That was the hardest part of the game for me too. It's crazy.

I YouTubed that section and realised that I had my timings wrong. IIRC it's because the

Spoiler

double jump changes things a bit - your instinct is that you should activate your second jump right at the pinnacle of your first jump to get the furthest jump possible,

but that's not the way to get the quickest, cleanest, furthest jumps.

It still took a lot of tries after watching that video, but I did it within 15mins of figuring out how to do it.

When do you get the double jump? Can you go back to earlier levels with it?

I keep trying to use it even though I don’t have it yet!

You get it in the final chapter, and no - no backtracking but you can always enable repeated uses of the dash in the accessibility menus.

On 08/12/2019 at 01:09, Popo said:

I really regret buying this. It makes Hollow Knight look like a walk in the park by comparison. Sadistic by design, not my idea of fun. 

No idea who this guy is! I reached the summit this evening and really enjoyed it. Collected a respectable 102 strawberries and a pathetic amount of the other stuff, enough to make me satisfied at just over 10 hours on the clock. Some of the pixel-perfect moves towards the end were a bit frustrating but once I stopped treating death as a failure things started to click and I found a good rhythm - it doesn’t really get harder, since each chapter introduces uniques elements and slowly builds up the challenge over the course. I really enjoyed that cadence, as it meant going in to a new chapter felt bold and exciting rather than intimidating - there’s something inviting about the knowledge that the game wants you to build up your experience and knowledge of the stage through trial and error, and that the errors are to be expected and not punished. 

It’s actually the opposite of sadistic. More like a warm hug. 

• Upvote 6

I've been playing a lot of this recently and thought I'd add to the recommendation of playing it to any that haven't tried it out yet. 

So far I've completed the main 7 chapters and have "the core" bonus chapter available but only just uncovered 4 of those blue hearts. I've also been collecting all the strawberrys and finally managed to get all 170 from the main game. I've done a the first two B-Side chapters too which land you extra red hearts which I wasn't expecting. There's a screen I found on chapter 6 which shows 4 unlit torches and several coloured diamonds. While playing I've managed to connect the dots from another stage to this by

finding that screen in an earlier chapter with the coloured birds and the satellite. I noticed that the colours matched those diamonds and then realised the satellite was emitting tones. On the screen with the torches (chapter 6), if you jump in certain directions then a tone is played and it changes depending on the directions, so I literally hummed the notes as best I could into my phone and replayed the melody by jumping in the same directions and it lit the first torch. As genius as I thought this was, it looks like there's more to it but I can't work it out.

Anyway I think I'm going to attempt Chapter 8 soon. I've put in about 30 hours so far. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Ok I thought I'd add a bit more to my progress and talk about how I love this game so much yet hate it at the same time in a Souls-Like connection. So I managed to play chapter 8 which really ups the game in terms of difficulty, yet somehow I've managed to push through to the end. It has a closer feel to the earlier B-Sides I went through where precision and thinking outside the box really steps up. However that's old news as I've since been tackling the DLC chapter 9. This chapter makes 8 look like a walk in the park. Some of the sections aren't crazy tough but there are some I seriously thought I was never going to ever do...yet...some how I just got to the "empty space" heart and smashed it. Then...it kicks you in the nuts well and truly by putting me in front of a new blue gate requiring all 16 hearts in order to progress. I can't stress how much I love this game though, yet it hurts so badly. Some of those screens I went through were mental hard. 

I'm now about 40 hours in and have around 7850 deaths clocked so far, almost 3000 of them on the last chapter alone. I think I need to have a break from it for a bit and play something else. 

• Upvote 2

I just finished the main story part of this - 131 strawberries, 2521 deaths. I'd determined that whenever I saw a strawberry I'd try to get it, which ramps the death count up considerably :lol:

I also have severe Celeste Claw after this last 9-hour session.

I don't know if it's Lockdown Brain, but I'd abandoned this on PS4 a couple of years ago in the hotel. I just wasn't having fun and felt success in clearing a room wasn't down to me getting better, but more just banging my head against the game until it gave way. But lately I've had a craving for tough platformers after putting some time into I Wanna Maker, and found this tucked away in my Steam library. I don't know what happened, I just kept at it without getting the least bit angry - at most just laughing at my own ineptitude. And I was getting better! I've missed one strawberry somewhere in the first level (and it's driving me mad looking for it), but in looking for it I found that I was breezing through the screens like second nature.

I've seen some things along the way that I couldn't figure out - including one strawberry towards the end that is utterly baffling me, and must be responsible for over 100 deaths itself. I love how it rewards gamer curiosity (why is that platform there... what's with that bit of rock sticking out... I'll bet I can do this... is that a crack?) Looking forward to digging more into its secrets now the first milestone is passed. What a remarkable game.

• Upvote 3

@Sabreman

I pretty much started it the same and thought it was alright but got more into the challenges as I went on. I also got a similar amount of strawberries when I finished it I think. I did go for all those I saw at the end and remember a few being tough. The one that boggled my mind for ages and I'm wondering if it's the same one is the bit with the rising platform through the spikes with the berry on the left and spikes in the middle where you can go up on either side. There was a cloud bit that was hard too which involved bouncing to the far left of the screen and trying to get it while jumping over spikes and then being able to get back. The precision was insane. 

Little did I know how much more of this sort of ridiculousness was yet to come. I've now done chapters 1-6 of the B-Sides now. They get seriously difficult and chapter 9 is the worst. You have to first figure out how to properly do a screen then play it over and over until you get this rhythm going and don't think or stress too much. As soon as you start thinking what you are doing then it's over. That then leads to dying over and over on earlier parts you were previously doing well on. This is especially true for some super quick moments. As annoying as how it's all held behind lock and key to get to the end of the DLC, it's really addictive and has made me put in over 50 hours now and I'm about 10,600 deaths in now. 

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

The one that boggled my mind for ages and I'm wondering if it's the same one is the bit with the rising platform through the spikes with the berry on the left and spikes in the middle where you can go up on either side.

That's the one - I never got to the point of fathoming how to do it, let alone pulling it off, and very grudgingly moved on. Riding the block seems to be the only way out of the room, but I can't imagine any feat of speed where I'm able to grab the berry and get back on it, or indeed get out of the left-hand side at all once in there. No hints though please :) I'm too stubborn / proud to look up solutions so I'll either figure it out or it'll forever remain uncollected.

I got the cloud one you mentioned. Yeah, a real tight spot. Sometimes you shed lives trying to do something in a more efficient manner when it's not necessary. I think it was flag 14 where I died a ton of times trying to make a series of boosts in succession, when all I had to do was cling onto the walls and boost from there...

I've got all the cassettes and two crystal hearts (I've seen a third and have an idea where two more might be), and I have three strawberries left to collect - the pursuit of which is starting to feel like the definition of madness (is what I'm trying to do even the right thing?). To save myself complete insanity and hundreds of deaths, can I get a yes or no on something? One of the berries I'm missing is the last one on The Summit - 2500M. If you read the 'map' of the berries as appearing in order through the level it comes after the two in the final screen that are hidden in the walls, which leaves basically the very top before you meet whatsherface and complete the level. The first time I played I reflexively jumped out of the red bubble before I hit her and was able to check the left-hand side of the screen. Nothing there. Since then I've been trying to jump out again to check the right, but I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally completed the level instead, and of course to get back there to try again I have to play through the whole section. Am I even looking in the right place? I've fine-tooth combed every single screen of the area (found the gem).

I know the placement of the berries along the bottom of the pause screen don't necessarily reflect where they appear in level progress (the last one in the hotel clean up section drove me mad before I found it), but if it's not up there at least I can concentrate my efforts elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Sabreman said:

I've got all the cassettes and two crystal hearts (I've seen a third and have an idea where two more might be), and I have three strawberries left to collect - the pursuit of which is starting to feel like the definition of madness (is what I'm trying to do even the right thing?). To save myself complete insanity and hundreds of deaths, can I get a yes or no on something? One of the berries I'm missing is the last one on The Summit - 2500M. If you read the 'map' of the berries as appearing in order through the level it comes after the two in the final screen that are hidden in the walls, which leaves basically the very top before you meet whatsherface and complete the level. The first time I played I reflexively jumped out of the red bubble before I hit her and was able to check the left-hand side of the screen. Nothing there. Since then I've been trying to jump out again to check the right, but I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally completed the level instead, and of course to get back there to try again I have to play through the whole section. Am I even looking in the right place? I've fine-tooth combed every single screen of the area (found the gem).

I know the placement of the berries along the bottom of the pause screen don't necessarily reflect where they appear in level progress (the last one in the hotel clean up section drove me mad before I found it), but if it's not up there at least I can concentrate my efforts elsewhere.

I just checked a video. You don't need to do that, no. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2019 at 22:14, iknowgungfu said:

I think I'm done with it for now. Loved playing it but not sure I can be arsed with chapter 9. 

Maybe I'll go back to it one day but I'd rather stop now having loved the challenge so far than grow to get fed up with it. 

Hide contents

I got a little way in to a point where you have to collect a double jump then and climb to 3 panels which retract into the electric cloud, climb/jump up a bit and get fling over to another panel on the left (with a Doubke dash refresh). 

Tried it over 30 times and I can feel the growing seed of anger. I did the same thing with Hollow Knight with that but where you have to needle Jump for almost the entire level.

Don't regret this gamer in the slightest though. Beautiful game. Now I think I need to find something a bit more simple!

If that’s the screen I’m thinking of then it’s by far my worst one of all I’ve dealt with. Is it the one with the spring boards and the falling walls you have to climb to eventually get to the top left corner by making it to the final falling column with a final spring board on the top? 30 tries you say? I easily did several hundred on that before making it. I’m probably close to 13,000 deaths on my total count so far. Currently got the last bside to finish before tackling the last glitch section of the DLC chapter.

I still haven't looked at B-sides because my OCD won't let me until I get these last three berries. Anyway, yesterday I did the core (805 deaths :lol:) and I solved a couple more crystal heart puzzles. 36 hours on the clock and I can't believe how this game has taken hold of me.

On 13/05/2020 at 00:20, Sabreman said:

That's the one - I never got to the point of fathoming how to do it, let alone pulling it off, and very grudgingly moved on. Riding the block seems to be the only way out of the room, but I can't imagine any feat of speed where I'm able to grab the berry and get back on it, or indeed get out of the left-hand side at all once in there. No hints though please :) I'm too stubborn / proud to look up solutions so I'll either figure it out or it'll forever remain uncollected.

Fuuuuuck me... I've died so many times on this screen. Just had an idea what to do and pulled it off in three attempts :rolleyes:

@Sabreman

Haha nice, the problem I had to ages is that I never noticed one particular small detail for probably 40 mins or playing it over and over.

The fact that you have to cling to the left side of the block which is ever so slightly showing itself at key areas through the spikes as it travels up. This was the bingo moment for me and it became super easy once I knew that

I've finally managed to finish all 8 B-Sides now and had just started the later part of chapter 9 (DLC) but have suddenly decided that it's just not going to happen at all. The dashwave mechanic thing is ridiculous. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong but trying to bounce twice in a row and regain the dash a second time just never ever ever happens. I managed to have it happen once in about 100 deaths. Luckily I figured out a slightly easier way to get past the tutorial bit which wasn't going to happen the way it shows you, however (inevitably) I've reached an area with three floating (shattering) blocks where you need to bounce across all three and no matter what happens, whenever I bounce from the second one onwards, I'm always always always left without a boost. The first one seems much easier to do, but I can't at all bounce properly on the second one without losing the dash, and you're supposed to do this a third time too. It's annoying because I can quite easily bounce right to end, but doing it the specific way it wants you to do so you get that dash back, fuck no, never happens. 

The whole game so far I've loved every minute of it and even the frustrating moments have kept me going. This dash thing feels like the worst mechanic I've ever seen ever in a game. ever and it's put me off wanting to even bother. It's ridiculous how it works. Bouncing is one thing, but doing it over more than one jump and getting it done properly is that hard, it's like I can have 100's of attempts and not pull it off ever. I feel like I'm doing something inherently wrong. 

Edited by Soulstar
  • Empathy 2