MW_Jimmy

Celeste

Finished this last night (well techincally I still have The Core to do) and as frustrating as it gets at times, the feeling of smashing a section and getting through it outweighs that. It's a great game, definitly one of the best of the year and a really creative way to talk about despression and anxiety. The sound design is lovely too.

My ending results.

Spoiler

image.png.cf994bdae19ef283350d3fa5b24dd490.png

I gave up on strawberries because I didn't see the point in getting them. Happy to get it under 2000 deaths though.

• Upvote 1

Along with everything else it does right, Celeste's strawberries are one of the best collectables ever IMO. They act as a sort of extra difficulty level, but one that exists inside the regular game and can be ignored if you don't fancy it.

• Upvote 1

I was so pleased with myself for completing Celeste. I thought I'd turned into some kind of gaming ninja. That thought was immediately case aside again after attempting the first B-side! I loved the main game though but I shan't be carrying on with the extra bits.

You know that bubbly stuff that grows out of the fronds when you walk on it? I spent ten minutes dying on one screen before I realised it only bubbles up after you move on, and you can stand in place as long as you need to prepare for the next move :doh:

• Empathy 1

5 hours ago, Sabreman said:

You know that bubbly stuff that grows out of the fronds when you walk on it? I spent ten minutes dying on one screen before I realised it only bubbles up after you move on, and you can stand in place as long as you need to prepare for the next move :doh:

:odid not know that

• Upvote 1

I’ve just collected all the strawberries and  completed the b-side for the first set of maps, but now my poor thumb tip hurts. 

Im not looking forward to trying the later ones with the feather. I can’t use the stick for normal platforming but also I can’t use the dpad for the feather sections. I’ve flipped between the two as needed but sometimes it’s a head fuck if you have to use both styles. 

• Upvote 1

I've just started this (upto chapter 2) and it's excellent, the controls are nigh on perfect. So many times I'm like, that is not possible, then I just do it anyway. Brilliant design.

• Upvote 1

I'm on chapter 5 and the design of the levels is mostly outstanding. It always gives you gentle nudges about what to do and towards hidden secrets. 

I don't like the stupid fish bits though. 

Also not super keen on the story breaking up the play either. Although for a change it is mostly well done without the modem trappings of going overboard about talking about mental health.

It's very modern platformy (which means it's got a tight loop to replay, and it's far too hard for me). Finished Chapter 1. 128 deaths.

35 minutes ago, footle said:

It's very modern platformy (which means it's got a tight loop to replay, and it's far too hard for me). Finished Chapter 1. 128 deaths.

That's not bad - the game teaches you to get much better, although I think it does it very subtly. There's a part near the end where you realise how much better you have gotten since the first stages.

Yeah, a major part of it is making it seem like it's too hard but actually making it quite doable with a bit of effort, so you start to believe in your abilites more.

Of course, you still have to be willing to try the same bit over and over again in some cases. If that's not your thing then it probably won't appeal.

4 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

That's not bad - the game teaches you to get much better, although I think it does it very subtly. There's a part near the end where you realise how much better you have gotten since the first stages.

It's more that I can see what I need to do, but my reflexes aren't all that - even with just the two buttons - that I'm not sure I want to continue.

Completed it recently via Games with Gold. I think I died nearly 2,000 times by the end so you definitely shouldn't feel bad if you're dying a lot. The difficulty is the point, it is baked into the narrative themes so strongly that to reduce the difficulty would work against the impact of the story I think. They intertwine beautifully.

To the game's credit, it didn't feel like I died nearly 2,000 times though. I realised I had obviously died a ton but I was always surprised at the end of each level to see just how frequently it had occurred.

I pre-ordered this from Limited Run Games about a week ago. Will be the first game I’ve bought since scrapping ps+ to just start buying things again and not worrying about an automatic monthly backlog making me want to play through everything and not have the time to do so. No idea when it’s due to actually arrive though but I’m excited to get on it. 

It’s I finally finished this a few mins ago, just by the time you can see I couldn’t stop playing to do the last bit! My death count was 3229 - half of those down to the sticks on Switch esp joycon that seems to not know right from up+right 50% of the time (maybe I have a fault?) but in reality I don’t care as I had so much fun playing it.

I don’t finish many games and I have had this for months and knew it was amongst the best games I’d played this year, I can only assume the thread bump of late inspired me to pick it up again and do the last bit I’d given up on before - turns out the secret to overcoming previous failings is half a bottle of wine, sleep deprivation and late night playing!!

Im tempted to double dip on the PS4 just to give the devs some cash and have an excuse to play it again.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Soulstar said:

I pre-ordered this from Limited Run Games about a week ago. Will be the first game I’ve bought since scrapping ps+ to just start buying things again and not worrying about an automatic monthly backlog making me want to play through everything and not have the time to do so. No idea when it’s due to actually arrive though but I’m excited to get on it. 

Thought about this as well, but it’s $50 with international shipping (releasing late March) and I can get the PS4 version for $20 on US PSN :/

It wasn’t it cost me $25. I got that and also one of those Lucy dip ones cos its the first time I’ve ordered with them so I was curious. Total cost was about £53 or so for both games and the shipping 

I did go for the PS4 version mind. 

Edit.. actually looking at it I think it must have been $29 as that’s what it comes up as. If you got that one game on it’s own then it would be $44 so not far off. 

I got stuck on my train for 2 hours this morning which give me time to push on through this and I managed to finish the temple level.

I have a question:

Spoiler

So after getting Theo out of the crystal (fuck those flying squid things) I got to the bit where you go through the long dialog bit and then get the feather.  I flew up and met my evil self but when it got to the bit where you have to try and keep the feather in the box I just couldn't do it at all as none of the buttons seemed to reliably control it.  After what felt like ages of trying it gave up and dropped me down a hole.  Is it possible to keep the feather in the box and not get dropped down the hole?

On 14/01/2019 at 22:22, Jonny5 said:

I got stuck on my train for 2 hours this morning which give me time to push on through this and I managed to finish the temple level.

I have a question:

Reveal hidden contents

So after getting Theo out of the crystal (fuck those flying squid things) I got to the bit where you go through the long dialog bit and then get the feather.  I flew up and met my evil self but when it got to the bit where you have to try and keep the feather in the box I just couldn't do it at all as none of the buttons seemed to reliably control it.  After what felt like ages of trying it gave up and dropped me down a hole.  Is it possible to keep the feather in the box and not get dropped down the hole?

Chapter 6?

Spoiler

That's supposed to happen - after a while the feather will stay in place irrespective of any button-presses. So - don't worry, and keep playing. :) 

• Upvote 1

Spent an hour on pico 8. Got to the last level and literally as I made the last platform, my xbox signed me out. Logged back in and game puts me back before I'd even discovered it:facepalm:

• Empathy 3