MW_Jimmy

Celeste

I turned this on tonight and was a little frustrated that it hadn't appeared to save all my progress. I think the multiple route bit in Chapter 3 counts as one room..?

Oh well, I thought to myself, best get on. Got a bit pissed off with one strawberry that I was certain I got first time round but just couldn't crack today. Struggled on for an hour until I got to a point I just could not figure out. It seemed completely impossible given the arc and momentum of the jump and dash.

Reluctantly, I look it up. Turns out I'd spent the evening playing without pressing the climb button. Completely forgot the thing existed :lol:

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Reluctantly, I look it up. Turns out I'd spent the evening playing without pressing the climb button. Completely forgot the thing existed :lol:

Oh shit, I’ve been doing this :lol:

I’ve been wall-jumping, but haven’t been climbing!

• Upvote 1

Going back to early levels this evening I found some strawberries - and some other things I won't spoil - that made me feel very clever. Reminds me of VVVVVV, a little bit of puzzle solving and exploration as a side dish to your big tasty platform pie.

Making my way through this slowly. Just finished level 3 and it’s not showing any flaws yet. I am bad at games and died 500 times on level 3 but still absolutely loved it. It’s so charming as well and clearly has a bit to say in its narrative. 

Combined with the after game options of speed runs, strawberries and remixes and  this could be an early contender for game of the year for me. 

I agree that the music when played on the big screen really shines through too.

Bravo.  

I don't own this but @joeplus will know that I've been vicariously digging the music through tweeted gameplay ciips - it all sounds pretty great. Someone go and bump the VG music thread with recommendations plsthx ;) 

• Upvote 1

I have some more videos to tweet when I’m back on the Switch! Later rooms of B-side 3 seemed so impossible at first that I felt compelled to hit capture after each one, almost to confirm I’d actually done them. Watching the clips back feels really badass.

• Upvote 3

Just finished my first playthrough. Took over 7 hours and I died so, so many times (1637 times!!) but it's too addictive to stop pushing onward.

The Edge review touched on the point that having the summit as a goal, rather than an abstract Final World, gives greater incentive to reach that goal. I hadn't considered that when playing but I definitely felt it.

There's still a fair amount to do now that I've seen the credits, even beyond finding the 33 strawberries I missed. Im looking forward to getting some faster times too.

Game of the year so far for me. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I had a huge smile on my face when I reached the summit.

I was so into that whole final ascent. I loved the little viewfinder thing that shows you the very last cliff-face, it looks utterly huge! But with a bit of steely determination...

Just finished the

Spoiler

Core. Ooh, that's a nasty one. It says there's five strawberries, I only saw two and collected none of them.

I've heard what's in store further into the postgame: C-sides after the B-sides! And apparently for the utter masochists out there, Golden Strawberries for no-death runs of all three versions of the levels. That one definitely sounds a bridge too far for me, although I look forward to watching other people try on the internet. I'm up for chasing those C-sides, though.

Is anyone else struggling with the accuracy of the Joy-Con stick in this? I’ve never had a problem with any other game, even 2D platformers, but I keep getting the direction wrong. Diagonal when I want to go up, and up when I want to go diagonal. It’s almost as if the sweet spot for each direction is off slightly.

6 hours ago, Paulando said:

Is anyone else struggling with the accuracy of the Joy-Con stick in this? I’ve never had a problem with any other game, even 2D platformers, but I keep getting the direction wrong. Diagonal when I want to go up, and up when I want to go diagonal. It’s almost as if the sweet spot for each direction is off slightly.

Have the same issue but with horizontal and diagonal.

Try the d-pad! I'm surprised anyone's even playing this with the stick TBH. One advantage of the weird seperate-button design of the joycon d-pad is that once you get used to the thumb positioning, there's no ambiguity, you're either pressing one direction or two!

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, joeplus said:

The analogue stick is, however, handy for sections with those golden feathers. I found myself hot-swapping, as the cool kids call it, at a few points.

Release Nights into Dreams on Switch please joeplus.

7 minutes ago, joeplus said:

The analogue stick is, however, handy for sections with those golden feathers. I found myself hot-swapping, as the cool kids call it, at a few points.

Yeah, I’ve had to swap a few times too, but I just can’t play this game with the d-pad for some reason. Strange, because I actually don’t mind it with anything else! I’m sure I played Specter of Torment with it, although the pace of that is a little slower.

8 hours ago, Paulando said:

Is anyone else struggling with the accuracy of the Joy-Con stick in this? 

Why on earth would you use the stick for a game like this? It's clearly uses 8 direction controls.

42 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Release Nights into Dreams on Switch please joeplus.

Just gave Shigsy a call and he won't let me :( . Called it "heathenistic flying-clown bullshit". Seems harsh.

I played through the game 80% handheld and 20% on the TV with a Pro controller, and used the analogue stick on both. It just felt better that way for me, and I always tend to use d-pad for 2D platformers. 

53 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I think I read somewhere that the dev himself said it was designed for the analogue stick.

Well in that case: everyone except me and Joffocakes and freezycold, but including game designer Matt Thorson, is a mad idiot. D-pad forever. Not starting an argument, just... enjoy the spikes?

Also, I'm curious - is anyone playing this not on the Switch?

I'm playing on PS4, and funnily enough, it's because I prefer the dualshock dpad to the Switch buttons. And this looked like a definite dpad kinda game.

I do really end up hurting my right thumb from pushing down so hard though. I think if I were playing handheld on the Switch I'd worry that I'd snap the thing in two.

I've used the analogue stick all the way (almost at summit) and it's been a bit tricky at times - air-jumps into spikes <_< - but I really don't care when I die in this as it's so much fun controlling Celeste. I have died a lot mind.

Yeah, this definitely isn’t a ‘Switch d-pad’ game for me. The changes in direction are too frequent, and I feel I’m really jabbing at those buttons. I’m trying it with the Pro Controller now and the stick is much better on that.