MW_Jimmy

Celeste

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

£15.99 on PS4. :rolleyes:

Have we had a reasonable explanation for the Switch Tax on digital only releases?

No, but it's £14.50 if you buy it from the Norwegian eShop.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

There are things you can do to lower the challenge a bit. Not sure how much that moves it into the realm of normal (old) players and not just for those who have preternatural reflexes.

Restarts are really quick, and any individual challenge is rarely more than a screen or two long. It's hard, yeah, but it's forgiving. If you fuck up, you're not getting put back far at all, and that stops it from getting frustrating. And yeah, you can add invulnerability, infinite air-dashes or slow it down to half-speed if you're struggling. It encourages you not to, but it's not about to forbid you from seeing how it ends if your reactions aren't what they were. 

The B-side remixes can get to fuck, mind. 

• Upvote 1

Any advantage to playing on PS4 - 4K support?

Generally pixel art games scale very well so I’m leaning towards Switch. 

Oh, and I’m on call this weekend, which pretty much seals the deal. 

Edit: or any performance issues on Switch?

Only played it on PC, I'm afraid. Might double-dip but only after I've sorted my tax - hopefully someone else can take one for the team and let us know if it holds up (I can't see why it wouldn't, mind). 

I bought the Switch version this morning. I won't have anything to compare it to, though.

Very excited to play it. I love Towerfall and I love 2D platformers with wall jumps and air dashes.

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

If this does well is there a chance of Tower Fall coming to switch? Or is that a PS4 (console) exclusive?

Towerfall for Switch has already been confirmed. No date for it, though, as far as I know.

EDIT: You can see its logo 17 minutes and 20 seconds into the old Nindies Showcase video from last February.

• Upvote 1

Quite a lot of mechanical and story spoilers in that short video, it seems. I turned off pretty quickly. It's a fantastic game so far, I'm enjoying it more than SMB and I think it's got a better soundtrack and a lot more heart. It deserves to do gangbusters. 

Towerfall just had a really nice feel to it.  I don't quite know how to describe it, other than everything seemed responsive and tactile in some way. Is this similar?

It’s lovely, and addictive as fuck. But Christ this is hard. Especially the limit to one air-dash until you’ve rested on flat ground to recharge.

Took me a while to work that out, but the clue is her hair turns blue when she can’t do another dash.

I’m also struggling with the button choices and wish I could switch the jump and dash around. I.e jump on the right face button, dash above.

Dunno if it’s a bug or just something missed (or intentional), on the Switch, when using a single joycon (on its side like a Nes pad), the shoulder buttons are still active. So I keep accidentally pressing “grab” with the pad of my hand. If that makes sense?

Let’s be honest, unless you have the reflexes of The Flash it’s fucking rock hard. But it’s never (well, not that often) frustrating.

I’ve completed Guacamelee, and stages of the early game in Celeste feel harder than that game’s toughest bits. But you feel your skillset improving as you play.

That said, it throws such a lot at you in some sequences, that I’ve had to ‘cheat’ twice now and I’m only on Chapter 4!

Just two words on the music: fucking sublime.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jcafarley said:

It’s not really tough, I just finished it after playing through it today. Remixed levels are super hard though.

Is this a “not hard to get through it” not hard or a “not hard to get all the strawberries” not hard?

Because I’m in the first world and some of the strawberries have been awfully tricky. 

I’m really enjoying it, though. 

One of the loading screen "hints" specifically says something like"Strawberries are nice to show your friends, but don't worry about getting them all if they're tricky".

Re cassette pickups

Spoiler

Remixes, what are they then?  Is it a remix of the room where you pickup the cassette?

Just another minor beef: some of the mechanics are a little woolly, specifically the water spheres, which I find a bit fiddly to exit consistently in the right direction (though that could be my Switch left joycon being a bit iffy on the diagonals). And the cloud bounces are a ballache. 

I also don’t like the addition of a

Spoiler

strong wind through some of the  levels, 

which just makes those bits a literal grind to get through, and removes the fluid joy of the moveset - which is a strange design choice.

Still really enjoying it, but not deeply in love as it feels more like a stupendous feat of trial and error sometimes.

1 hour ago, geldra said:

One of the loading screen "hints" specifically says something like"Strawberries are nice to show your friends, but don't worry about getting them all if they're tricky".

If I see one, getting it is mandatory. But I got all the ones I saw in world 1 and still missed about 8.