IGNORED

Games you start, put aside, and never pick up again.

Lothar Hex

So was doing a general clear out of stuff a few weeks ago and came across my boxed copy of Far Cry 4, a game I got for christmas about a year ago from my sister. I then just looked at it for a few minutes trying to remeber if I'd actually completed it, and remebered I got about 2 hours in to it (long enough to ride my first elephant), put it aside and then forgot about it. I shoved it in and after about an hour I took it out, put it back in the box, and put it in the trade in pile. It went towards paying for a couple of old 360 games I fancied playing again.

I usually give games about 3-4 hours to get me hooked, and more and more I'm finidng that a lot of them take far too long in this. RPG's get a little more leeway, but looking at Far Cry 4 and a plethora of games in my steam list, it's happening far more often.

Shadow of Mordor is another one, but I got it cheap on stseam so I can't chuck that away, but I've started it again twice now, getting up to roughly the same place. However, unlike Far Cry 4, I stopped fully intending to go back to it, and just never did. When I did finally I had played long enough to find I couldn;t remeber how to do anything in it, so started again to try and familiarise myself with it.

I dunno what it is exactly, but I think I found a trend, stuff like Far Cry 4, Mordor, Mad Max, and Sunset Overdrive, all really good games, but they're all open world ones where you spend a good chunk of your time doing the same thing over and over to the point of padding. And what do I find myself playing over and over again?

Halo, Doom, Wolfenstein, Rayman, Freedom Planet, to name but a few Hell I;ve just bought Castlevania: Lords of Shadowds for £4 on PC and that's interested me more in the 2 hours I've managed to play then Far Cry 4 has.

I'm guessing everyone goes through this with a game, but I wonder what it is that causes you to just stop? For me I think at the moment I'm just burnt out on open world stuff (though I'm sure I'll be voer that in time for Red Dead Redemption 2). It's like a few years ago when every other FPS was a WW2 shooter and I think everyone just cold to it.

I always alternate what I am playing so I don't get bored of a genre.

My recent completion list below.

Spoiler

Lara Croft Temple of Osiris (PS4)
Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)
Game of Thrones - Telltale (PS4)
Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)
Uncharted 4 (PS4)
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
This War of Mine (PS4)
Gone Home (PS4)
Destiny The Taken King (PS4)
Telltale Walking Dead Michonne (PS4)
Diablo 3 (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS4)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
Everybody's gone to the Rapture (PS4)
Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
Tales of the Borderlands (PS4)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

Lego Star Wars - The Force Awakens (PS4)

I'm currently enjoying World of Final Fantasy which I hope to finish soon and then will play Firewatch, Abzu & TellTale Batman before Mass Effect Andromeda is released.

Variety is the key to video gaming enjoyment.

I pretty much always do this with Platinum games. A good while later I'll come back and get really into it, but I have to be in the right mood for impenetrable combo systems that can eventually be reduced down to repeating the same three super-effective.actions in each fight. The Wonderful 101 is somewhere in the pipeline for such a comeback.

Also, Shadow Of Mordor needs finishing off some time, though I at least unlocked all of the gameplay mechanisms before it became mega repetitive.

2 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Also, Shadow Of Mordor needs finishing off some time, though I at least unlocked all of the gameplay mechanisms before it became mega repetitive.

I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor especially the stealth gameplay & nemesis system. It was sandwiched between Knack & CounterSpy/ DestinyHouse of the Wolves.

I am hoping a sequel is announced this year.

I did the exact same thing with Far Cry 4. I can't explain it, because it's a great game. I was clearing out my old gameplay recordings and I had some brilliant FC4 clips.

Quite often I'll get distracted and it'll take some kind of tangential hype to get me back into a game, usually the hype around a sequel (I only went back to Assassin's Creed 2 right before Brotherhood came out, for example). I don't like 'forcing' myself to go back to something I was enjoying but dropped. The mood has to be right.

I played Deus Ex 1 on and off over a couple of years before finally finishing it, and I look back on it as one of my favourite games. I dropped Mankind Divided halfway through and am wondering what will drag me back to it.

Another one for Fary Cry 4

a recent one is Resi 7, for a couple of reasons, my gaming time is minimal, I sometimes get an hour while my Daughter is on her iPad but if I stick Resi on she'll have nightmares for 5 years, secondly I just can't seem to drum up motivation to play it.

Couldnt complete FF15 either, got about 6 hours in and it stagnated and got a bit samey

Steep is a recent one for me.  The concept is great, a proper free roam snowboard game but the handling just doesn't seem much fun.  I want something like Amped arcadey handling to be able to do quick fast descents but it just seems a bit too realistic.  Need to give it another chance though. 

I have played so many games for so many years that gameplay fatigue is certainly evident. I am very selective these days with the games I buy and I am off the hook of buying sequels just for the sake of buying them. If a company does not deliver I do not buy their game, even if I loved their previous one. That has cut down my pile of shame considerably. The two things I am looking for these days when buying a game are the two things that we have made very little progress with as an industry: story and AI.

If a game has either of those (good AI is almost non existent though) I play them to completion. I can suffer through just ok gameplay if the story, the writing and the characters are good. The opposite is much more rare for me these days.

Final Fantasy XV is probably my most recent. I just found the game too sloppy for my tastes. The combat is poor and the gameworld and characters were generic as hell. I got to Chapter 6 (I think) and put it down just before Christmas. I keep thinking I should go back to it, but I can't summon any enthusiasm. The last single player FF game I didn't finish was III. 

The Witcher 3 for me. I played it for a good couple of hours in my first sitting, picked up a heap of quests and completely lost track of what I was supposed to be doing.  Could never be bothered going back and trying to make sense of it, even after everybody and their dog voted it as their game of the year.  

I try to dedicate myself to one main game at a time because of the risk of abandoning it. I also know that if I don't play the game for more than 5 or 6 days, it's at risk of never being returned to. It's usually just real life that gets in the way... but the damage is done... a week without play means that I've lost connection. Then I start to get bad feelings about firing it up again... I start to procrastinate like it's a piece of work, an obligation.

I'm worried about Skyrim because I "parked" it to play Yakuza 0. I'd love to say that I'll jump back into Skyrim, but how will that be possible when there are exciting new releases and a pile of shame?

I must say that there are very few games that I stop playing after just a couple of hours -- I hardly ever don't like a game. This may be because I only play about 6 major games a year and I choose them very carefully. Even if I don't get on with a game at first, I persevere. It's very rare to quit a game early. One exception is Alien Isolation, which I knew I would "nope" out of -- and that's okay.

I'm usually quite good at sticking to a game until completion as I usually dislike having to return to a game after too long and don't like the idea of restarting either so in most cases, I tend to finish things and of course enjoy adding it to the list of completion on here. 

Rage was one of those over a year back that I ended up abandoning due to getting bored of the world and increasing disapproval from here made it increasingly difficult to expect prolonged enjoyment, knowing that the world was going to be quite bland throughout the rest of it. I did play for about 15 hours or so and stopped right around the part where you enter that new cyberpunkesque city. I couldn't stand the thought of it lasting for another 20-30 hours or so as I'd just not clicked with the stiff and lifeless world. I think a definite part of this was down to the increased influence which came from reading about it on here after starting it one day, that and it was the only game I'd completely forgotten I owned thanks to leaving it inside the GAME bag the whole time and not putting it up on my shelf, so I wasn't particularly interested in wanting to play it in the first place. Combat was pretty good though. 

Another one I must have put a similar amount of time into but left was the original Persona on the PS1 via emulation from the laptop I use. It was already quite difficult to play due to extremely long battles and so many various options that made it too long winded, in addition to a crap world map and lots of battles, however the main reason for not going back was down to having to hook up the laptop to the TV every time. It was never ideal as I'd get issues with screentearing and was a lot of messing about to set up in addition to not wanting to play directly on the laptop screen but prefer the TV. I just left it intending to go back but never did and it's been way too long now. I might just try out Persona 3 at some point instead and just skip the first two.

I've still got to return back to Rayman 1 which I've managed to do the majority of but was having to 100% each stage to get to the last few locked stages. The bit that got in the way of this was picking up a PS4 not too long ago. I'll likely go back, but the mindset and flow I had going at the time was keeping me happy enough to return and now it's pretty much gone. I mean I feel like I've finished it unofficially anyway.

What is going to make this more of a common thing though for me is having access to PS+ as the months go by as this is a new thing for me and I'm just not going to be able to keep up. It'll either be that or I'll have an increasing number of unplayed pile of shame games building in my library as time goes on. 

Open world games are going to start bothering me if I plan on playing any of these like I have been Fallout 4 over the last two and a half months or so. I've pretty much exclusively stuck to this game and have used some of the smaller titles to keep me from going mad. There's something that keeps me coming back to it, but I can't believe that I must have spent now around 200 hours on the game and yet still haven't completed more than 1 main mission or even visited Diamond City. I am on Survival mode and have lost huge amounts of time from dying (which happens every single time I return to it) but will keep on playing until the end. It has had some amazing moments and experiencing it on this difficulty changes the dynamics of the play style in some amazingly immersive ways, but this isn't something I'd be quick to do again anytime soon. DLC sounds great and all but I can guarantee I won't be going near it when I'm done, certainly one of the main reasons I never took advantage of the sales over Christmas for it all. 

As has been mentioned, variation is the key for myself and I try to rotate the style of game I'm playing otherwise it just kills the experience. This is one of the things that contributed towards my dislike towards Rage as I'd played and persevered through Borderlands which I really grew to hate over time. It was both my co-op partner and I who grew bored of the large open bland world and endless shitty repetitive quests. Rage reminded me of a better-looking Borderlands without the RPG style element but same world and same boring quests. Fallout 4 is like renaissance art in comparison to those two for how it's designed and how it adds so many little touches and forces you to manage every mission. True, it will still contain boring missions but there are so many more interesting things to see and do. 

So generally I tend to put myself through the torture of sticking with something, even if I'm getting fed up, as a finished game feels better than one I've put a substantial amount of time into but then disregarded. The only others I've played on the PS3 over the 5 years it was active and left aside from Rage have been Motor Storm, as I just got soured thanks to Rage yet again with its similarities. I don't think I'm all that into racing games in general really and deserts bore the fuck out of me which might be part of this too. That and Alone in the Dark Inferno, which despite almost getting to the very end back in the beginning of owning a PS3, I never did return to largely down to having completely disconnected from the entire storyline. It's known for being very clumsy in design and was hard to enjoy at the tme but I persevered then somehow decided to stop playing very close to finishing. Maybe in about six years when I've finished Fallout 4 I might be able to start something new. I've been so close to wanting to give up Fallout but can't do it as I love it at the same time. 

Sorry that got a bit ridiculously long then. 

I usually find that the completion time of a game far outweighs the time I'm interested in it. My Steam library is littered with stuff that I've bought out of casual interest, played one session (usually 60-90 minutes), then simply had enough of. If I was really mercenary about it I guess I could abuse the hell out of their refund system.

It's a very rare game these days that I actually complete (in terms of 'big' games). Even ones I'm very hyped about often fall by the wayside as I return to my hardy perennials. The initial thrill of having the game dissipates after the first couple of sessions, and I find myself completely disinterested in loading them up again.

Bloodborne is my latest abandoned title. I find the releasing of a button rather than pressing it to dodge very sloppy and the frame rate is diabolical for a precision combat game.

I've been again rethinking my gaming policy, especially with older games. Few weeks ago I beat Tomb Raider Legend which I thought was pretty good, but I am halfway through Anniversary which I absolutely love so will be getting rid of the former.

Forza horizon 3 for me. Brought it on pc and enjoyed it for the first couple of hours, then felt like there was no real progression or challenge to the game. Complete waste of money for me.

Other than that im quite selective what i choose to play these days and try and aim for games that dont have a completion time any longer than 10-15 hours single player. 

Saying that i have picked up Yakuza 0 recently, but the game is so bonkers i aint ever gonna loose interest in it.

Most games that either get very difficult or are drawn out too much. For me playing games is all about making progress - see new locales, unlock new abilities, progress the story, etc. When I feel I get 'stuck' because I have to repeat the same sections too often or when there's little sense of making progress but just grinding through the motions I get bored, put the game aside and most likely won't return. That's why I usually prefer the rather short (10-15) hours, story driven, set-piece heavy games over those where you have to hone your skills over many hours. Of course there are exceptions, like some RPGs I sunk over 200 hours in.

Bit like the OP it's basically anything open world. Red dead redemption, all the Arkham games since asylum, witcher 3, skyrim, all the fallouts since 2, every GTA game..

It doesn't really matter how good the game is, there's just too much map. I should really stop buying them, but I get sucked in every time.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

I 'finished' Horizon 3 but it was a slog. The series has declined into quantity over quality IMO. The first got it absolutely right although the third improve things over the second.

Probably my disappointment of the year last year.

I saw the credits roll on Forza Horizon 3, but unlike the first two Horizons the credits rolled without any huge final race to make it feel like a finale. I was maybe less than half way through completion. I liked the game just fine, but I moved on to other things.