rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
milko

Narita Boy

waaaaa

You are Narita Boy, a legendary digital hero in an epic quest through simultaneous dimensions.

The aesthetic of the game is inspired by retro pixel adventures (Castlevania, Another World, Double Dragon) with a modern touch (Superbrothers, Sword and Sorcery) and an 80s plot homage (Ready Player One, He-Man, The Last Starfighter), accompanied by the retro synth touch of the old glory days.

http://www.studiokoba.com/

Kickstarter starts on february 21! Stay tune!

I'm a bit bemused by getting a trailer to hype me up like that (I want the soundtrack! I want the game!) and there's nowhere to actually send my money yet. Maybe this is an EXCLUSIVE.

• Upvote 8

I like the art style (even though I find the self-aware retro shtick a little overworn these days), but all the combat footage with its big, drawn out attack animations puts me in mind of clunky old hack and slash games like Barbarian and Deathbringer, and that isn't a good thing.

Of course, these are all short clips out of context, and it may well play brilliantly, but I'm not entirely sold on this at the moment.

• Upvote 1

you lot must have a keener eye than me for trailers or something, those gameplay clips are far too broken up and FX-lumbered for me to have a convincing idea one way or another. I'm here for the aesthetic and the music (that music!) at least.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jolly said:

I love everything about how this looks and sounds but think the actual doing looks a bit bum. Which is a shame because it looks and sounds *amazing*

This. sadly!