IGNORED

Narita Boy

milko

waaaaa

You are Narita Boy, a legendary digital hero in an epic quest through simultaneous dimensions.

The aesthetic of the game is inspired by retro pixel adventures (Castlevania, Another World, Double Dragon) with a modern touch (Superbrothers, Sword and Sorcery) and an 80s plot homage (Ready Player One, He-Man, The Last Starfighter), accompanied by the retro synth touch of the old glory days.

http://www.studiokoba.com/

Kickstarter starts on february 21! Stay tune!

I'm a bit bemused by getting a trailer to hype me up like that (I want the soundtrack! I want the game!) and there's nowhere to actually send my money yet. Maybe this is an EXCLUSIVE.

I like the art style (even though I find the self-aware retro shtick a little overworn these days), but all the combat footage with its big, drawn out attack animations puts me in mind of clunky old hack and slash games like Barbarian and Deathbringer, and that isn't a good thing.

Of course, these are all short clips out of context, and it may well play brilliantly, but I'm not entirely sold on this at the moment.

• 4 years later...

This suffers from an atrocious first 15 minutes, and I think it'll see a lot of quick uninstalls based on that. But there's also definitely something off with the controls even once the proper character mobility has been unlocked. Might just be a touch of input delay but it doesn't feel especially nice to control the main character.

i just tried this, and second the controls feeling"off", and the terrible opening segment! , but more than that, that stupid "crt filter" with a fucking constant downword moving line, like when a vhs tape fucked up...yeah...no, that was making me ill.

yes i turned it off, then in the first memory it wouldn't turn off...so off that goes.

I noticed that flickering line in videos of the game. Did that ever actually happen on TVs? Looks more like what would happen if you paused a VHS for too long or that there's something wrong with your set, or that it isn't plugged in properly. A really good CRT filter can look amazing, but that looks crazily over the top, and looks nothing like what games actually looked like in the eighties - it's more like the joke filters you get in emulators sometimes.

The whole vibe of this game appears to be less based on what games looked like back in the day, and more based on modern-day pastiches of games from that era. It's like its referencing references, rather than the originals. Like someone making an eighties-set film where the touchpoints are Turbo Kid, the Guest and Hobo With A Shotgun, rather than anything that was actually from that era.

Yes, it's not so much a CRT filter as an aging CRT filter. The contrast between the glare and the washed out blacks is turned right up. There's a ghost-like echo around the main character. The sound has a slight muffle.

It's more like a specific screen that's seen better days than a generic 80s style. Or that's how I saw it anyway.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I've seen some CRT filters that simulate knackered TVs, and I found them incredibly evocative - there was one that looked exactly like the fuzzy, colour-bleeding look of one of my friend's parents' TVs that I spent hours playing megadrive games on. I don't like it when retro games have pin-sharp visuals, and much prefer it when they replicate the look of actual TVs from that era, many of which were actually shit.

I guess my problem with Narita Boy is that looks like it's trying a bit too hard with the retro stuff. It reminds me of an Adam Wingard film.

I'm glad it's on Gamepass, as I love the style of it enormously (and the soundtrack is magnificent) - but the lag on control movement is pretty awful and has got old very quickly. If they can patch in more responsiveness then I'll look forward to carrying on!

The story is completely awful, every character I talk to adds a new level

of nonsense, so that I can’t even be bothered to read it anymore.

ive also had to look up where to go, it’s not obvious, and I hate just aimlessly wandering hoping to luck out and see an exit.

Instant uninstall. 30 minutes wasted. 

potential, but it’s all left on the table.