mdn2

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

3 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Any idea who as?

Unfortunately not. The best bets have been

Spoiler

Initially Pip the Troll, who is usually associated with Adam Warlock, a character who is very important to the original Infinity Gauntlet storyline. This was supported when photos appeared of Dinklage in a hairdressers with his hair died red at around the time the talk of him being in it surfaced. But Adam Warlock isn't in this and the storyline that can be deciphered doesn't really lend itself to that plot anyway. And it's a silly character.

The other bet has been Eitri the dwarf king. The dwarves in the comics forged Mjolnir on Odin's orders. Given that Thor needs a new hammer, and he gets a new hammer (itself an Easter egg for fans - his new weapon is Stormbreaker, used by Beta Ray Bill, who is basically alien Thor in the comics), it might make sense. However given how much else is going on in this film, and the shots we've seen of Thor, it might just be cleaner to have him make it himself.

The other bet is as a voice actor. Marvel have been very coy about who is voicing the Black Order. Might make sense given Dinklage has done voice work before (even if his work on Destiny was dreadful).

• Upvote 1

Mentioning the Black Order and their voices, I've had a sudden and weird hope that they get Bill Nighy to voice Ebony Maw. I've no idea why, but in my head its perfect.

I wonder who the voice that says 'the end is near' in the trailer is? I recognise it but can't quite place who it is. Presumably that's one of the Black Order either way.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanos himself, isn't it?

I don't think it is. It's a different accent and cadence to Brolin's voice to my ear. 

Sounds older, a little less of Brolin's drawl and it's 'breathier', for want if a better way of putting it.

5 hours ago, Pob said:

For all the hype, I’m not finding the prospect of a musclebound alien giant trying to get a macguffin that can destroy the universe particularly appealing as a premise. But the Russo brothers did such a good job of finding the emotional centre of Winter Soldier and Civil War that I’m hopeful they can do the same here. So many characters, though. 

I think they can and they've also said this film is more Thanos' film than anyone elses too. So gives me hope that we'll get some emotional heft behind his actions other than "Random space dude wants to destroy half the Galaxy because, why not?"

I mean his comic book motivation was literally "random space dude wants to destroy half the Galaxy to impress a lady" so let's not pretend the source material is some sophisticated thing that the films are "dumbing down".

The Avengers films have always been the more straightforwards action fests that don't bother with developing emotional arcs for their sprawling casts, so if he's getting a lot of screen time it's probably going to be focused on making him intimidating, cunning, etc rather than a complex character wracked with inner turmoil.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

I've got a nasty feeling that at the end of Avengers 4 Captain Marvel will swoop in at the last minute and save the day single-handedly like Superman did in Justice League :-(

My thoughts also, given the origin prequel being dropped right in the middle of things.

Supposedly the two characters with the most screentime are thanos and thor. 

I'm intrigued given the buyout just how many new character references they've managed to fit in. I'm expecting they've squeezed some in digitally. 

9 hours ago, Harsin said:

Hopefully there's a throw away line that he fell under his tractor and we don’t have to see the boring rat-faced bow and arrow twat again.

Lol, nah.....he's been introducing UFC bouts.....

Screen-Shot-2016-11-15-at-1.42.19-PM.png

I thought there were more movies, but looking at them in a list.. not too many. Anyway, these are the MCU films I haven't watched.. any I should before this comes out?

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Thor (2011)

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

17 minutes ago, tomakasatnav said:

I thought there were more movies, but looking at them in a list.. not too many. Anyway, these are the MCU films I haven't watched.. any I should before this comes out?

Thor (2011)

Ant-Man (2015)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Definitely Ultron then Ragnarok for the plot to lead straight into Infinity War.

Maybe Ant-Man and Doctor Strange if you want their largely stand-alone back stories (He gets small! He does magic!).

The others if you fancy, but only Winter Soldier and maybe the first Thor are really worth your time from what’s left. 

• Upvote 1

They're all great apart from the The Incredible Hulk, and Thor: The Dark World. Hulk is absolute shit, Thor TDW is okay ... just. 

• Upvote 1

From an ‘enhancing the MCU experience’ perspective I’d recommend all of those movies except for Hulk & Thor: The Dark World. Those two don’t really add anything and are the only flat out bad movies on the list. Age of Ultron is a disappointment but pretty integral to the whole Marvel thing, although as you’ve watched Civil War you have probably put together most of what happened in it anyway.

• Upvote 1

I think Hulk is unjustly maligned. Sure, it's definitely the redheaded stepchild of the MCU, but in and of itself it's an ok film. It's definitely better than Dark World.

That film is a total snooze-fest and doesn't deserve the prominence it has in the MCU lore due to its introduction of an infinity stone. Apart from that technicality, it accomplishes nothing.

Of that list, if you can only manage a couple go with Winter Soldier and Ragnarok. Both are a absolute top-tier MCU, and the rest apart from the first 2 Thors are all cracking films.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tomakasatnav said:

Probably live without:

Thor (2011)

Watch for introductions to two new characters: (Both Solid films)

Ant-Man (2015)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Probably should watch just for Avengers continuity and few introductions:

Watch because they are great: (especially Ragnorak :wub: )

• Upvote 8

27 minutes ago, Steely said:

Probably live without:

Thor (2011)

Watch for introductions to two new characters: (Both Solid films)

Ant-Man (2015)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Probably should watch just for Avengers continuity and few introductions:

Watch because they are great: (especially Ragnorak :wub: )

Also, Civil War, because it explains where the Avengerers are at these days. And because it's awesome.

• Upvote 1