IGNORED

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

Comrade

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well if they're allowing statements which incite racial hatred to be given the go ahead, and basically getting people to do.it because they're poor, I'd call that exploitation. 

Well, that's a very dark view of it. When I first read about fiverr, and how you could get someone in some far off land to hold up a sign for you, I thought it was a novel and fun thing to use the internet for. There's something inherently surreal and wonderful about how with a few mouse clicks you can get someone thousand of miles away to do something like that. Obviously PDP did something nasty with it, but it sounds like the website took action. It's hardly feasible to vet all requests in advance.

But anyway, my point is that what we should take away from this story is not that sites like fiverr are bad. It's that PewDiePie is a dick and racist jokes are not cool.

I think paying 'people in a far off land' a fiver to do anything for our entertainment is kind of awful however you look at it. They're doing it because they're on the bones of their arse, and we're saying, here's a fiver - dance for me, I'd only use it to wipe my arse with otherwise anyway.

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think paying 'people in a far off land' a fiver to do anything for our entertainment is kind of awful however you look at it. They're doing it because they're on the bones of their arse, and we're saying, here's a fiver - dance for me, I'd only use it to wipe my arse with otherwise anyway.

That's pretty much the gist of any transaction though.

If 'first world folk's' get involved I imagine they'd be a bit more picky about what they would and wouldn't do. I'd also imagine most don't need the money and are more in it for the crack, the fiver is just a little bonus - I can see situation where people get each other to do stuff, again for laughs.

Just now, Stanley said:

If 'first world folk's' get involved I imagine they'd be a bit more picky about what they would and wouldn't do. I'd also imagine most don't need the money and are more in it for the crack, the fiver is just a little bonus - I can see situation where people get each other to do stuff, again for laughs.

But you see! Your liberalism has turned you inside out!

Pie girl here, does it for the craic!

https://www.fiverr.com/telle93/smash-a-cream-pie-in-my-face?context=adv.cat_7.subcat_303&context_type=rating&pckg_id=1&pos=10&funnel=dfaa60e3-cc31-4bbe-8167-18fa87229253

But poor starving Indians desparately need to feed their family - no money for you, poor exploited person!

2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

But you see! Your liberalism has turned you inside out!

Pie girl here, does it for the craic!

https://www.fiverr.com/telle93/smash-a-cream-pie-in-my-face?context=adv.cat_7.subcat_303&context_type=rating&pckg_id=1&pos=10&funnel=dfaa60e3-cc31-4bbe-8167-18fa87229253

But poor starving Indians desparately need to feed their family - no money for you, poor exploited person!

Oh no I'm being accused of liberalism! 

Just now, Napole0n said:

You think he'd rather sell mushrooms to you than drink beer on the beach? No, but he needs the money. 

WE ARE ALL SLAVES.

He's not dying of starvation and living somewhere with poor sanitation though is he? No, he's selling mushrooms to drink beer on the beach.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Oh no I'm being accused of liberalism! 

So liberal you would deny someone living in India the same opportunities as a westerner, even in the few arenas where they can actually compete on level terms? Sure doesn't sound very liberal to me.

Don't be thinking I intended liberal as an insult. I'm saying your incorrect application of its principles has led you to an holding a outright absurd opinion.

6 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

So liberal you would deny someone living in India the same opportunities as a westerner, even in the few arenas where they can actually compete on level terms? Sure doesn't sound very liberal to me.

Don't be thinking I intended liberal as an insult. I'm saying your incorrect application of its principles has led you to an holding a outright absurd opinion.

Yeah, yeah. No exploitation to be seen here, move along.

For me it's more that it highlights what a fucked up world we live in where because of the birth lottery, some people have to go to such an extreme length to obtain an income, and of course it's a service that is very open to abuse and the manipulation of people who don't know any better (which is exactly what Pewdiepie did).

It's got fuck all to do with liberals trying to stop poor people earning money.

I wouldn't say most of these people are on "the bones of their arses" necessarily, more that the conversion rate of their coin is ridiculous when compared to most western currencies. That's where you find real inequality.

The next time anyone visits Singapore and is in absolute wonder regarding the architecture there, do spare a thought for the tens of thousands of Bangladeshis (not so) happily earning $3-5 per day putting all of it up.

Just now, SozzlyJoe said:

Come on man! ENGAGE WITH ME! Why is it ok not ok to pay a poor person the same amount of money that you would pay a well-off person to do exact the same thing?

Because it's not a level playing ground - the system is open to abuse as evidenced in this case. 

You have one set of people doing it for a giggle, and another to actually get by because they live in such a deprived area.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Because it's not a level playing ground - the system is open to abuse as evidenced in this case. 

You have one set of people doing it for a giggle, and another to actually get by because they live in such a deprived area.

But holding up a sign (PDP antics aside) just isn't that bad! @Made of Ghosts brought up bumfights. Sure, now that's fucked up. But holding up a sign.. you can see people on street corners in any city doing that. Saying, "YOU can do this menial task for a pittance because you don't really need the money, but YOU can't because you are poor and you do need the money" is an absurdity.

Now, it's possible that those Indian guys did know what the sign meant, but felt compelled to do it anyway because they needed the money so badly. That surely would be exploitation. But that's on PDP.

Just now, Stanley said:

OK, I don't think I argued that Fiver or whatever it's called exploits all third world participants. But i am saying that these guys were exploited, and that they're (the site) partly to blame. 

Aye, fair enough. Actually, I am now imagining a dystopian future where impoverished third world peasants have to do increasingly degrading things in order to compete with decadent western perverts who would do it for free, but I don't think fiverr is quite there yet.

2 hours ago, mrpranny said:

that comes from the voice of cartman. When you watch Beavis and butthead do you think that the things they do are actually being promoted as being cool things you should do? No one is saying dont do jokes, they are saying he is doing jokes wrong.

So if I put on my best Cartman voice I can tell my boss to "fuck me in the Best Buy"? 

I think Pewdiepie was in bad taste rather than anything else. I personally couldn't be less offended or give a shit. The thing o find most offending is how someone can act like a children's tv presenter with swearing and get 50 million subscribers.

On 14/02/2017 at 09:56, Retroid said:

Is it just me, or does PewDiePie give a consciously controlled facial expression of shock and horror over (probably unconscious) indicators of glee in that clip? The glee also shows through in the very last seconds of the video as he releases the grimace (from 1:50). I think he is shocked that they did it, and delighted at the controversy he can stir up with what he has made them do. What he doesn't do is say "oh shit, they did it, that is awful". 

I don't think that he is sincerely antisemitic (I don't think he is sincere about much at all, he tends to give opinion on nothing more weighty or controversial than video games), but I'd agree that he is adding to a shock-for-hits culture that normalises prejudice and I think it is good that Maker dropped him.

I don't think much really gets through to PewDiePie on any deeper level. He's just a constantly over-reacting always talking mouthpiece. Like the oppposite of a mime. In fact, that when he actually stopped talking for a few seconds when he was momentarily overcome by the ending of The Last of Us, it prompted a news story.

http://kotaku.com/last-of-us-renders-one-of-the-loudest-youtube-personali-635878944

If you watch the clip (don't bother), it's actually only about four seconds. So, that's what passes for news down Kotaku way.

PewDiePie Shuts The Fuck Up for Four Seconds.

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

So if I put on my best Cartman voice I can tell my boss to "fuck me in the Best Buy"? 

I think Pewdiepie was in bad taste rather than anything else. I personally couldn't be less offended or give a shit. The thing o find most offending is how someone can act like a children's tv presenter with swearing and get 50 million subscribers.

yes , if you put on a cartman voice you can say pretty much anything you want. and if you listen closely Pewdewpie slips into a kind of beavis grunt. Not sure if on purpose.

Why was it ok for hitler to make a nazi dreamcast? Because it was hitler. I look forward to pewdewpie saying gas in ya face D:

I think part of the problem is that in the past most people creating entertainment considered themselves to be artists or creatives. When you're in that mindset you consider that other people might respond to the things you make, at least in some minor way. YouTube people seem constantly shocked that anyone is watching, even when the little number tells them forty million people are, they all seem consistently shocked when anyone is actually paying enough attention to respond to their stuff.

The trouble with 'no-one can take a joke anymore' is it's too often used by people who are genuinely prejudiced and annoyed they can't openly say appalling things towards minorities any more (stuff which would have been 'acceptable' 30+ years ago..)
In many cases it's difficult to judge intent - and those who genuinely mean it maliciously try to get away with it by pulling the irony defense..

What if they are standing on a stage of getting paid in other ways to try and be funny?