IGNORED

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

Comrade

Just now, dood said:

Is he shirking responsibility?  I missed that if so.

I'm not trying to justify it by intent.  I was picking up on the 'advocating genocide' bit. 

It a stupid, racist thing to say, yes.  As @Zael said above, something a massive cunt would do. 

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me?

I think 'advocating genocide' is taking things to the extreme in order to prove a point, I don't know who said that so I wasn't holding you responsible or anything. I'm just arguing with people saying it isn't racist, or won't attract racists.

He did release a statement saying he doesn't condone far right groups, but considering what he did, I don't think he's gone far enough. Although to be honest he doesn't appear too bright. He needs a press officer.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

No because it's placed within the context of the rest of your sentence. You'd have worked that out for yourself with only a little more thought.

I think you're ignoring comedic context just because you think it involves a shit sense of humour.  But if you're going to be a cock about it I can't be arsed discussing it any more, so farewell.

10 minutes ago, PK said:

I think you're ignoring comedic context just because you think it involves a shit sense of humour.  But if you're going to be a cock about it I can't be arsed discussing it any more, so farewell.

Ah, resorting to insults when your argument breaks down. 

There is no 'comedic context' - man hires poor illiterate third world workers to hold up racist sign - there's your context.

Just now, Napole0n said:

Of course there's comedic context. It's just that you and many others don't find it funny.

So you're saying there's something inherently funny in 

A) anti-Semitism and the Jewish holocaust, and 

B) exploiting third world workers

I think it's extremely dangerous at this point in history, with the rise and rise of the far right, and the treatment of immigrants/refugees. There's nothing funny about it.

9 minutes ago, Zael said:

It all goes towards normalizing something that's currently problematic though, right? Jewish people currently suffer from anti-semitism. It might not be as prevalent these days but it's definitely still a thing. So when you feed into that, whether intending it to actually be harmful or as a joke you're still normalizing something which is currently hurting other people. 

I don't think joking about something like this would be as big of a deal if it didn't normalize a language that isn't currently harming people. I'm Irish and we've all mostly gotten past the xenophobic stereotypes that we were labelled with 30-40+ years ago of terrorists, alcoholics and bums. So if someone makes a joke about us now it's not a big deal because Irish people don't really suffer from that steroetype anymore. 

Tl:dr Don't make racist jokes about a people who are currently suffering from racism in our society. 

Yes, fully agree with this.  The normalisation of this sort of language is dangerous, even if it's performed as a joke by people who don't necessarily harbor any racist views themselves.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think it's extremely dangerous at this point in history, with the rise and rise of the far right, and the treatment of immigrants/refugees. There's nothing funny about it.

Your anger is a little bit funny.

32 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Of course. Everything can be funny. It just depends on who is telling it, how they're telling it, in which setting and what taste of humour the audience has. A smoky comedy club will probably have a different brand of comedy than an afternoon TV show on BBC One. Tasteless humour can be funny, gallows humour can be funny and some of the best comedy is made by deeply troubled people deep in their own pit of despair.

Whether or not it's smart to broadcast this particular brand of humour on a popular, Disney endorsed, family-oriented Youtube channel is a different matter altogether obviously.

I don't think there's any outrage to be had over the 'exploiting workers' angle. They advertised on the website fiverr that they would do this kind of stuff for a fiver. Presumably they were glad of the business.

I mean, if you order some video cable or whatever from China, you don't insist on paying 20 quid extra. You pay the asking price.

11 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

Of course. Everything can be funny. It just depends on who is telling it, how they're telling it and what taste of humour the audience has. Tasteless humour can be funny, gallows humour can be funny and some of the best comedy is made by deeply troubled people deep in their own pit of despair.

Ah, context, again. 

The success of Pewdiepie, and also his downfall (no pun intended) is down to the 53 million subscribers. The problem is, he can't possibly account for the tastes, not to mention intelligence of an audience that huge. 

But there's no context here, there's no wider background. You're looking for something that doesn't exist. 

It wasn't a joke. It was (apparently) an attempt at one, but lacking any of the components. It's just plain racism.

Watching some of his videos, in the name of research, and Jesus, considering this guy basically couldn't look any more fucking Aryan I'm not surprised at the shit he's getting. 

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

I love how South Park has managed to get away with so much over the years.

that comes from the voice of cartman. When you watch Beavis and butthead do you think that the things they do are actually being promoted as being cool things you should do? No one is saying dont do jokes, they are saying he is doing jokes wrong.

11 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I don't think there's any outrage to be had over the 'exploiting workers' angle. They advertised on the website fiverr that they would do this kind of stuff for a fiver. Presumably they were glad of the business.

Yeah, I'm sure there are prostitutes risking abuse just to fund their next fix too.

Bet you none of you have watched it! From start to finish! Because I heard it was actually pretty fucking funny. It was probably more a "you had to be there" thing particular to YouTube.

And again. It was reported in the press weeks ago. None of the outraged angle. It was more he got two blokes fired.

Anyway, saying watch it now won't work because people have made up their mind.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, I'm sure there are prostitutes risking abuse just to fund their next fix too.

I don't think you understand fiverr. It's where people agree to do silly shit like sing your name or, yes, hold up a sign of your choosing for a fiver. The idea being it takes only a minute or two, and they can do a lot of requests quickly and make some cash.

9 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I don't think you understand fiverr. It's where people agree to do silly shit like sing your name or, yes, hold up a sign of your choosing for a fiver. The idea being it takes only a minute or two, and they can do a lot of requests quickly and make some cash.

But they're still being exploited, one, by the people who setup/own the website, and, two, by Pewdiepie himself. 

Put it this way, if I asked you to hold up a 'death to all Jews' sign on the Internet, you wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But they're still being exploited, one, by the people who setup/own the website, and, two, by Pewdiepie himself. 

Put it this way, if I asked you to hold up a 'death to all Jews' sign on the Internet, you wouldn't.

He exploited their illiteracy, is that what you are saying? I can get behind that. But I don't buy that fiverr is inherently immoral.

EDIT: Waaait a minute. If there were illiterate, how did they write the sign? :sherlock:

Plus there are loads of presumably reasonably affluent graphic designers who do stuff on fiverr, for a fiver. So it's only fine to pay the already well off a pittance for stuff, but immoral to pay a poor person?!

Why, I'm beginning to think the real villiains here are those of us who DO NOT pay third world people to hold up racist signs!

5 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

He exploited their illiteracy, is that what you are saying? I can get behind that. But I don't buy that fiverr is inherently immoral.

EDIT: Waaait a minute. If there were illiterate, how did they write the sign? :sherlock:

Well if they're allowing statements which incite racial hatred to be given the go ahead, and basically getting people to do.it because they're poor, I'd call that exploitation.