IGNORED

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

Comrade

2 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I've not played online in years, but can you not report this sort of thing to MS/Sony/whoever? Surely everything is recorded and logged server-side. Get the fuckers banned, this shit is not acceptable.

I'm pretty sure MS & Sony don't record all voice comms that are transmitted, that would be insane. 

They could create a bunch of awesome jobs where they have an admin on every server who bans people that spout shit like that.

I used to be an admin in my clan and any swearing was prohibited on our server (even I struggled with that sometimes). It might seem silly but it did create a much friendlier atmosphere.

5 hours ago, Illyria said:

They could create a bunch of awesome jobs where they have an admin on every server who bans people that spout shit like that.

I used to be an admin in my clan and any swearing was prohibited on our server (even I struggled with that sometimes). It might seem silly but it did create a much friendlier atmosphere.

Hard to do because the majority of games don't run on servers, it's all P2P. 

They could make reporting better though surely.  Like, have it send the last minute of DVR footage with a report, including some log data for identifying who's speaking when, etc. 

So, I play World of Warcraft and occasionally go onto MMO-Champ as its a good source of news.  However, the forums, especially their off topic ones, are generally terrible.  Imagine the worst parts of the politics threads on here but moving around 10 times the speed and thats a fair representation.  So I thought I'd have a nosey at what they make of it, and now I think I need a shower.  Some choice bits;

"Calling someone a nigger isn't racist."

"So the fuck what? If a white guy wants to say nigger they should." (those are the first 2 responses)

"theres nothing wrong with using Jew as an insult either"

"Also, it's funny how Quentin Tarantino gets to use nigger all through his movies and that's okay."

"why can black people say the word, but white people are forbidden.  Thats racist in itself" (this was an arguement that appeared a lot.  Yes, people were genuinely arguing that black people were racist against whites if black people were ok saying it but white or other ethnicitys werent.)

"he wasnt actually referring to a black person, so he's not racist at all"

"words change over time, nigger isnt an insult any more as black people arent slaves now, here's a clip from South Park about the kids not meaning fag as an insult to gays"

*many variations of this exchange* "nigger isnt necessarily racist, context matters" "he used it in frustration at a person he was pissed off at as an insult, exchanging the word with "asshole" after" "....well, I still think there isnt enough context to say it was used in a racist manner"

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Actually the point about Tarantino is apt.

The thing with Tarantino is he's using the word in works of fiction where the context makes a huge difference. Even people who take issue with him for how often he uses the word in his films (mostly) don't think he's prejudiced against black people.

22 minutes ago, matt0 said:

The thing with Tarantino is he's using the word in works of fiction where the context makes a huge difference. Even people who take issue with him for how often he uses the word in his films (mostly) don't think he's prejudiced against black people.

I don't think he is either but I'm often uncomfortable with it, and worry that it might give rise to people thinking its ok and start using it themselves. 

1 minute ago, Wroth said:

Tarantino's audience aren't children and should know better.

Its not quite as simple as that. I cringed through the entire 'nigger storage' bit in Pulp Fiction, for example. It was the work of someone trying too hard to be cool and edgy, clearly under the misguided belief that they're some kind of wordsmith to be judged along the greats. It was immature and irresponsible.

Tarantino's love of having his white characters drop N-bombs liberally is definitely a thing. Not in all of his films of course and obviously there are examples where it serves the story (to a degree) but I think criticising him for it is fair enough.

I used to play in an anarchist punk band which was basically a vehicle for a mate and his overtly political, offensive comedy songs. One song was called Bernard - about two 'pieces of shit' - Matthews and Manning. With having a black and a brown guy in the band I know he felt a hell of lot more comfortable singing a song which had racist epithets in one of its verses - and I also know that he loved screaming those words perhaps just a little too much. He's a genuine anti-racist but I don't think for a second that he didn't find it thrilling to scream 'paki' and 'nigger' in an enviroment where he wouldn't get shit for it.

58 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Its not quite as simple as that. I cringed through the entire 'nigger storage' bit in Pulp Fiction, for example. It was the work of someone trying too hard to be cool and edgy, clearly under the misguided belief that they're some kind of wordsmith to be judged along the greats. It was immature and irresponsible.

Tarantino is trying too hard to be cool and edgy?

This is funny.

I think we can agree that a non-POC live streaming a video game will never have the proper context for using such language, unless the live stream was a deliberate character being portrayed and it was appropriate to the character.

We can look forward to Felix Kjellberg retiring the character in a black turtleneck.

The analogy in my mind is with domestic violence. A lot of people who perpetrate it apologise after the fact and have a hundred reasons why that moment was out of character and had contextual explanations, but it is never okay. Fair enough, you were shocked by getting somewhere you didn't expect to be, and seeing a facet of yourself you don't like, but that is the last point of a hundred missed points at which you could have changed the direction of travel. And if you then do it again, that is a choice, and the excuses don't fly any more. You knew violence towards your partner or child was in your repertoire but you did nothing to change that, or the situation, and you have nobody else to blame for that choice and should rightfully face the consequences.

That's my view of PDP. I can understand those who would accept an excuse once, but if you keep doing the same thing over and and over then it is a choice, and part of the person you are. And no matter how sincere the apology, or how nice you are the rest of the time, if you've done something awful and then done nothing to create change and repeated that behaviour you are a repugnant person.

As to the other guy, try saying "I hit the nimble ginger ninja with my nifty ninja dagger" out loud a few times quickly (with or without concentrating on executing a move on a game), and I suspect you'll end up unwittingly sounding out "nigger" at some point. It isn't the same as reaching for an insult and coming out with "jew" or "nigger" and then substituting "arsehole". We can all end up with an inappropriate spoonerism without a word being in our vocabulary. The question is how you respond when that happens, as an immediate "oops, that's not what I meant" or "shit, that sounded awful, I didn't intend to say that" is worth a million later carefully written apologies that tick the appropriate boxes to appease your sponsors.

Re. Tarantino, it's not just his characters that love the n-word, his script for Django Unchained is filled with it in the action descriptions, which feels much more like the authorial voice. E.g. (Paraphrasing) "Coming at Django is one giant n*gger". It pissed me off reading it, felt unnecessarily edgy.